The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #21
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It was pretty good. I wish DC would let him and Terry Austin finish the follow up mini to honor Marshall Rogers who was in the middle of drawing it when he unexpectedly died. The Laughing Fish,revamping both Deadshot and Hugo Strange,creating a favorite of mine in Dr. Phosphorus. I wish the comics made more use of Rupert Thorne like Batman:TAS did. He did a stellar arc in JL of A vol.1 too! The Batgirl vs Dr. Phosphorus issue in Batman too. Like Denny he got an elite artist to work with.
Yeah The Laughing Fish was legendary. Grant Morrison could do some really cool stuff with Dr Phosphorous. Any of those off the wall characters like that are right up his alley. As a matter of fact, didn't he try and use him in a story once? Maybe he didn't but I was thinking he did once. Maybe during his arc where he used Professor Pyg or something?
Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 PM   #22
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-U-R-T-L-E POWA! View Post
Yeah The Laughing Fish was legendary. Grant Morrison could do some really cool stuff with Dr Phosphorous. Any of those off the wall characters like that are right up his alley. As a matter of fact, didn't he try and use him in a story once? Maybe he didn't but I was thinking he did once. Maybe during his arc where he used Professor Pyg or something?
Not that I recall. I know Dr. Phosphorous has been used in the New 52 a couple of times and has a daughter. It could have been when you are referencing. I have not followed Batman specifically in the New 52 run. As for what Morrison could do with the New 52 I don't know. My other favorite off the wall character he did use just to kill him off to give his cred,The Spook who actually is a threat during his decade heyday. You mention Grant pulling the lame out of obscurity and making it cool, the other one that did that was Len Wein in his all too brief of a run on the main Batman title from '78 to '81.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:54 PM   #23
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Not that I recall. I know Dr. Phosphorous has been used in the New 52 a couple of times and has a daughter. It could have been when you are referencing. I have not followed Batman specifically in the New 52 run. As for what Morrison could do with the New 52 I don't know. My other favorite off the wall character he did use just to kill him off to give his cred,The Spook who actually is a threat during his decade heyday. You mention Grant pulling the lame out of obscurity and making it cool, the other one that did that was Len Wein in his all too brief of a run on the main Batman title from '78 to '81.
Yeah I bet the New 52 thing was it. So you didn't read Batman Eternal and all that? It started out good but man it just becomes a little much at some point when you have all these titles just blitzing the shelves like crazy.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #24
Navin Johnson
Stone Warrior

Attended the last 3 years, I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to comics, but its a really fun con in a great down town area. Unfortunately not going to make it this year.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #25
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Yeah I bet the New 52 thing was it. So you didn't read Batman Eternal and all that? It started out good but man it just becomes a little much at some point when you have all these titles just blitzing the shelves like crazy.
I read Batman'66 and the Morrison pre-52 continuity wrap up Leviathan Strikes! . New 52 was not my cup of tea. The renumbering ticked me off and throwing away history and relationships. I also refer Dick Grayson as Robin or Batman not into Nightwing's directionless take.
Spoiler:
Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #26
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
Attended the last 3 years, I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to comics, but its a really fun con in a great down town area. Unfortunately not going to make it this year.
Sorry to hear you can't make it. We'll hold down the fort for you though! Anything specific you'd be looking for if you had gotten to go?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

For those of you who have gone to other comic cons how do they compare in experience?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Just left the convention. Picked up 4 comics and got Neal Adams to sign my copy of Batman/TMNT#1 variant that he did. Also, got a couple more RAK graphics and the last of the Essential Spider-Man volumes I needed.

I will post about my conversation with Neal Adams later.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #29
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I had a great time and got a great haul. I got 4 Don Rosa sketches personalized and I got 7 new TMNT MIB figures! Shredder and Leo 10 backs (which now gives me 2 Leo 10 backs), Space Cadet Raph, Panda Khan, Walkabout, Pizza Face, Chrome Dome, AND had a new MIB Ray Fillet waiting on me from the post office when I got home AND still have my Undercover Donnie on the way as well! WOO HOO!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I had a great time and got a great haul. I got 4 Don Rosa sketches personalized and I got 7 new TMNT MIB figures! Shredder and Leo 10 backs (which now gives me 2 Leo 10 backs), Space Cadet Raph, Panda Khan, Walkabout, Pizza Face, Chrome Dome, AND had a new MIB Ray Fillet waiting on me from the post office when I got home AND still have my Undercover Donnie on the way as well! WOO HOO!

How many figures do you have MIB?

There were a few dealers that had TMNT figures. I bought Brave and the Bold#85 at a place that had the undercovers and 89 and 90 basic line. He called me over because of my TMNT (1987) shirt but I was not looking for what he thought. He had the best deal on the B&B issue by 20 dollars to complete my Brave and the Bold run.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #31
Powder
So tired of this place

Did you guys seriously not go to any of the many TMNT artists in attendance?

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #32
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Does Neal Adams count? I did see Mike Dooney as well. That is it. I mainly go to fill holes in my comic book runs.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:08 PM   #33
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
How many figures do you have MIB?

There were a few dealers that had TMNT figures. I bought Brave and the Bold#85 at a place that had the undercovers and 89 and 90 basic line. He called me over because of my TMNT (1987) shirt but I was not looking for what he thought. He had the best deal on the B&B issue by 20 dollars to complete my Brave and the Bold run.
I have 32 vintage toys MIB.

Casey
Baxter
Scumbug
Usagi
Mikey
Don
Leo(x2)
Raph
Wingnut
Metalhead(Pop up Display)
Rat King
Leatherhead
Rocksteady
Super Shredder
Foot Soldier
April
Splinter
Mutagen Man
Muckman
Mondo Gecko
Traag
Ray Fillet
Undercover Don
Walkabout
Pizza Face
Slash
Space Cadet Raph
Chrome Dome
Panda Khan

All are from their first waves and MIB. I also have the 2003 4 Turtles, Shredder, Splinter, and Usagi and they are all MIB. From the Nick line I have every single thing that has been released MIB and the original Nick Sewer Set as well. I also collect He-Man and Ghostbusters.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #34
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I saw some of them yeah. I'm more in to the figures than I am the comics though but I saw another Dromer there named Indy Finn and we were buying some toys at the same time and he's a REALLY nice guy. He was telling me that one of the artists that was there had actually created some original artwork for the vintage toy line but I never could find the guy. I love the artwork on the boxes. It's one of the things that makes them so fun to collect. Artwork in general was great on most toys from my generation. I'm 34 and so have experienced the Turtle phenomenon since its inception. I met some more big TMNT fans and it's always fun to be around others that share your same enthusiasm and passion for collecting.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #35
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

2018's edition of Heroes Con is upon. I will go as I do every year. This time I will likely see Jose Garcia Lopez again and meet Keith Giffen. TMNT peopel there will be Mike Dooney as usual. Moreo ften than not Erik Talbot is, but not this year. David Petersen who has don cover work for IDW's TMNT will be there. Adam Guzowski is there for fans of the Image version. Ian Flynn of Archie's Sonic did a storyarc in Universe will also be in attendance.

https://www.heroesonline.com/heroescon/guests/

My main goal will be to find Detective Comics#411 for my classic Detective Comics run. Along with that a five issue extension to Brave and the Bold volume one to extend it from #79 to the end of the series run.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #36
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

It's that 3 day weekend again this year, Heroes Con 2019! Anyone else going?