The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblyShell22 View Post
as I am against drinking alcohol excessively. Just plain stupid.
Hey, we're a significant part of the economy.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #22
snake
Disgusting

Will being straight edge get me qt alt grills?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #23
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
That's still legal in your country? Indoor smoking has been banned ere since around 2007-2008 and it's awesome. I HATED going inside a restaurant or eating at a mall and having someone smoking right next to me, with the smoke getting in my nose and on my food. Plus, since so many people smoke tobacco, naturally lots of them turn out to be selfish assholes, meaning that if you're a parent with a kid and politely ask a smoker too please take it elsewhere or to put out the cigarette, you're likely to get told "I don't care!" or "go away if you don't like it". Some people just have no respect.

Smoking tobacco just seems so silly nowadays. It's bad for you, it's expensive and doesn't even give you a buzz like booze and other stuff do. An, for the record, I did smoke a couple of cigarettes just to see what it was all about... your head feels lighter for a few seconds on your first puff but then you just smoke the cig until all that's left is its orange tip/filter.

Yeah I'm a bit anti tobacco, but what can I say? That sh*t killed my grandfather.
Basically what he said... that and if you smoke near me I'm blowing chunks on you, your food and/or whatever you're wearing... cig smoke gives me crazy migraines.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:08 PM   #24
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Sure, and perfumes and colognes aren't at all dangerous, but no one wants to be stuck suffocating or suffering headaches (or asthmatic reactions) next to someone who chose to drench themselves in perfume or Axe body spray. Same with going around with bad body odor. No one is prevented from wallowing in their own chosen form of stench, but it's inconsiderate to pollute the air with it around others. Plus the whole still-not-actually-harmless secondhand smoking thing. Seeing how that isn't just a scent issue, but an actual air pollutant issue in confined places.

That said... my state (and the Delmarva region in general) has one little beach town left that hasn't banned smoking on the beach (and boardwalk), but they've just recently considered joining the trend.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Sure, and perfumes and colognes aren't at all dangerous, but no one wants to be stuck suffocating or suffering headaches (or asthmatic reactions) next to someone who chose to drench themselves in perfume or Axe body spray. Same with going around with bad body odor. No one is prevented from wallowing in their own chosen form of stench, but it's inconsiderate to pollute the air with it around others. Plus the whole still-not-actually-harmless secondhand smoking thing. Seeing how that isn't just a scent issue, but an actual air pollutant issue in confined places.

That said... my state (and the Delmarva region in general) has one little beach town left that hasn't banned smoking on the beach (and boardwalk), but they've just recently considered joining the trend.
Back when I used to go to the beach every Summer(when I was a kid) there was nothing worse than digging in the sand and finding lots of cigarettes buried in the sand, ugh.

Also, unrelated but... IndigoERTH? Huh?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #26
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I guess the argument here is that eating is a necessity, smoking really isn’t. I do believe that there should definitely be smoking and non-smoking sections. It would suck for a business, I would think, if you catered to one group and not the other. I don’t know the statistics, but seems there are fewer and fewer people smoking these days.

I think smoking sections in restaurants should be well ventilated but closed off to the non-smoking section so that none of the smoke wafts into it. There’s a family restaurant here that has a smoking and non-smoking section, but there really isn’t much of a difference aside from a divider. The smoke still gets into the non-smoking area. It doesn’t bother me much as it’s not like I’m around it much to begin with, but I could understand someone with allergies or asthma who might have a problem with it.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Smokers especially. You know how high the "sin tax" is now? It's like $11 a pack now. It was $4 10 years ago. On booze, too.

Quote:
Back when I used to go to the beach every Summer(when I was a kid) there was nothing worse than digging in the sand and finding lots of cigarettes buried in the sand, ugh.
Or empty cans or bottles of cheap malt liquor. Or burger wrappers. Or anything.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:17 PM   #28
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Also, I can't see how some smokers can stand the crap they inflict on themselves with it, sooner or later. One of my uncles (dad's youngest brother) has been helping watch my nephew a couple times a week while my mom has been recovering from her broken arm since Oct. and going to physical therapy. (She was finally released from it after last week.) He has been a smoker for much of his life. To listen to his very wet, phlegmy coughing and throat/chest clearing, honestly there have been times I have struggled to stifle my gag reflex just listening to him. (And in some way I have worried about him dropping dead alone with the kid...)

Smoking and drinking (which he is very much into both) were a big factor of his own father's death when he was only 17. He's lucky he's even outlived the age of his father at this point. My dad originally smoked, but their father's death scared him into quitting. (And all the more-so when their likewise smoker mother died of a brain aneurysm three years later.) My uncle, not so much.

That mess just isn't anything I need to be pointlessly wasting time, money or health on. Esp when it was a contributing factor to the fact that I never even met my paternal grandparents; both dead before I was born.

Quote:
Also, unrelated but... IndigoERTH? Huh?
Just noticed? lol Yes, it's Earth without the 'a'.

The me of almost 12 years ago was trying to make it slightly unique. lol Anyone including the 'a' is an imposter.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #29
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
How do we know YOU'RE not an imposter, HMMM??! Kidding. But yeah I'm with you on the smoking. Lost both granddads to it. One from cancer the other from enphasema. Dad was a smoker too but losing his father scared him out of it.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #30
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I don't smoke or drink. I'm not super against alcohol. I understand in moderation it's fine but I personally don't see the thrill of getting "buzzed" or "relaxed".

I've only had sips of a couple different drinks out curiosity and I did not like them. Beer tasted ok but it's nothing I ever desire to have as a beverage.

Smoking however is just stupid. I really hate all the Truth commercials and such. They complain that they market towards teens and certain groups but that's totally besides the point.

Cancer. That's the only thing anyone needs to know about smoking. If you still do it and just don't care about the risk well that's on you.

I have an Aunt who lives out of state and she smokes. I thought she had quit a long time ago but she we had a get together the year before and she still smokes. She went outside but I do wish she would quit.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #31
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
It's all well and good until you suffer a massive stroke because of the alcohol use. That's what happened to my dad and now he can't walk or take care of himself and we're stuck taking care of him. We still hope he might get better, but we're just not sure if it will happen since his insurance has denied him physical and occupational therapy and even speech therapy. All of that is up to us now too which gives us even more work to do. We just have to wait and see what happens but it's not fun to have to go through that. My advice to you is to watch things carefully and if someone tells you you're acting funny or you notice something that's not right, get it checked out. Dad didn't and now he's paying the price for it.

My brother's been a drinker too and even got in trouble for it, so that's why I'm against it as much as I am and why I will never drink at all.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #32
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

It can still affect asthma and other respiratory conditions.

I think there should be dedicated public areas for smoking.

My workplace recently decided to go smoke free so instead of everyone smoking in shelters I can easily avoid they're smoking at the entrances so I can't help breathing it in. I just have to hope I don't have an asthma attack.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #33
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Smokers especially. You know how high the "sin tax" is now? It's like $11 a pack now. It was $4 10 years ago. On booze, too.
Huh, that's not far off how much they cost in Norway. A pack of 20 (we stopped selling 10 packs) costs between $13-$14.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:51 PM   #34
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I guess the argument here is that eating is a necessity, smoking really isn’t. I do believe that there should definitely be smoking and non-smoking sections. It would suck for a business, I would think, if you catered to one group and not the other. I don’t know the statistics, but seems there are fewer and fewer people smoking these days.

I think smoking sections in restaurants should be well ventilated but closed off to the non-smoking section so that none of the smoke wafts into it. There’s a family restaurant here that has a smoking and non-smoking section, but there really isn’t much of a difference aside from a divider. The smoke still gets into the non-smoking area. It doesn’t bother me much as it’s not like I’m around it much to begin with, but I could understand someone with allergies or asthma who might have a problem with it.
When Maine last had smoking sections, some places had the smoking area out front so you had to walk thru the stench to get to the non-smoking area. And some places were the opposite. I recall a Chinese food restaurant that had no divider or anything and we sat down for dinner and a minute later this guy sits down, lights up and starts blowing smoke in my face. I asked him to stop, my dad asked him to stop and he didn't so i threw up on him. He got pissed and my dad told him he should have put out the cigarette.

My last job, I had to get a note for not sitting next to anyone who smokes because it was a call center and i couldn't breathe and was blacking out... they refused to move my seat again or not sit someone who smokes next to me. And then went smoke free on all the property. Still didn't help. I'm a prisoner in my jome because 3 of the five neighbors all smoke.... well, one smokes weed, not cigarettes but that stuff stinks to holy hell too.

I hate seeing people on food stamps or getti g housing assistande smoke. That bothers me. If you can afford to smoke, you don't need help feeding and putting decent clothes on your kids.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote