The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 08-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What was left unadapted from Mirage?

Throughout the series especially the first four seasons there were many adaptations of Mirage volume one, the short-lived classic Tales vol.1 and a few others. Was there anything of note that was not adapted and if so would it have fit into the 2003 cartoon? I often hear of a mini-series titled Bodycount for example I know is not adapted,but could something that seems gory be adapted or best left alone? Anything with DARPA? There might have been something referencing it within the series,but I missed it. Look forward to reading your thoughts.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
ToTheNines
[sic]

The Turtle Titan episode should have been about Radical and Complete Carnage. Eff Silver Sentry and all the other Justice Force crap.

Definitely would have liked The River and Halls of Lost Legends. And maybe the Gosei Hattori stuff (the pre-#1 story and Masks).

Last edited by ToTheNines; 08-20-2017 at 10:54 AM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

If you're speaking of the canon stuff that PL would allow, the only major thing I could think of is Michael Dooney's "MASKS" issues #46-47 where the Turtles travel back in time to ancient Japan with Shogun Chote. However I can see why it wasn't used as it would conflict with the backstory of Ch'rell taking over the Foot Clan in the 2k3 universe.

A few other one off stuff wasn't adapted like Gosei Hattori's entire character and stories, and of course they couldn't do any of Vol. 4 as it was just coming out at the same time 2k3 was.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

The River is something I think could work pretty well but I understand the copyright issues regarding the story. Bloodsucker is extremely toyetic too.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
mrmaczaps
Banned

Was the Shades of Grey, two part Casey Jones story adapted? Cuz I always enjoyed that... and never really seen much/any of the 2k3 series.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I see multiple mentions of Gosei Hattori. What was that about?
Old 08-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

As far as I'm concerned... everything.*

*: except the Kirby and "I, Monster" episodes, maybe.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Was the Shades of Grey, two part Casey Jones story adapted?
How would that even work? Would Casey bruise a kid too hard, then feel real bad about it and go and drink a bunch of Red Bull?

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #9
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
How would that even work? Would Casey bruise a kid too hard, then feel real about it and go and drink a bunch of Red Bull?
Here is an idea, Casey Jones get the drop on someone he thinks is Hun. Only after he beats the guy to the need for hospital care does he realize his mistake. Casey punishes himself by locking himself in his home, like a self-imposed exile and looks wrecked. He sees Hun on the news harming innocents as he is mid-crime. This and perhaps one of them is April which causes Casey Jones to act and during the confrontation does not kill him like his impulses desire, but leaves him for the police. There Hun remained until someone in the Tengu Shredder saga which he escaped. Maybe you agree or disagree, but I think the basics could have been covered while not fully adapted.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #10
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
How would that even work? Would Casey bruise a kid too hard, then feel real about it and go and drink a bunch of Red Bull?
Lmao, I was gonna say... they bungled their City At War adaption enough. Just leave Shades Of Grey alone.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Lmao, I was gonna say... they bungled their City At War adaption enough. Just leave Shades Of Grey alone.
They torpedoed "Return to New York" pretty spectacularly, too. People get so stuck on "but they really cut off Shredder's head just like in the comics!!!" (they didn't, btw) that they forget that 100% of the rest of the story is bastardized for toddlers and toys.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
ToTheNines
[sic]

I have a soft spot for it, as I was 11 when it aired and thought it was amazing. But it was definitely The Playmates Show.

But City at War, man. They just COMPLETELY missed the point. Started off with some cheesy FAKE pop song. Terrible!
Old 08-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I have a soft spot for it, as I was 11 when it aired and thought it was amazing. But it was definitely The Playmates Show.

But City at War, man. They just COMPLETELY missed the point. Started off with some cheesy FAKE pop song. Terrible!
That is where we are different. I thought it shrunk and streamlined the story-line, made it cleaner, and showed The Shredder rise again. It also gave us a Karai walking the line of good and evil. At the same time for all those reasons you do not like it. It adapted it for non-b&w comics fans like myself and I say did it well.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #14
Powder
So tired of this place

Don't blaspheme.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
That is where we are different. I thought it shrunk and streamlined the story-line, made it cleaner, and showed The Shredder rise again. It also gave us a Karai walking the line of good and evil. At the same time for all those reasons you do not like it. It adapted it for non-b&w comics fans like myself and I say did it well.
RONG.

Mirage CaW is printed kino. 4kids CaW is gay.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That is where we are different. I thought it shrunk and streamlined the story-line, made it cleaner, and showed The Shredder rise again.
You're missing the point of ToTheNines saying it is missing the point. "City at War" is NOT a story about The Shredder rising again. Not remotely, on any level.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #17
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
You're missing the point of ToTheNines saying it is missing the point. "City at War" is NOT a story about The Shredder rising again. Not remotely, on any level.
It is about the power vacuum left in his absence. Without him or perhaps The Foot itself at the top of the underworld there will be countless factions vying for the top. No one else will be capable so fixing the Shredder-less Foot at the top stabilizes the criminal underworld.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

As much as I love 4Kids TMNT, "City at War" had as much to do with the original as "City Fall" in IDW... nothing.

"City at War" is not a story for kids, kiddies, or cartoons. If you water it down, you destroy it. Same for "Shades of Gray" or "Sons of the Silent Age."

Some Mirage stuff is good and can be reinterpreted rather loosely. Not those stories.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

This thread should be locked. The cartoon was never going to be a 1:1 adaption of the comic storylines and anyone with common sense would know that.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #20
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
It is about the power vacuum left in his absence. Without him or perhaps The Foot itself at the top of the underworld there will be countless factions vying for the top. No one else will be capable so fixing the Shredder-less Foot at the top stabilizes the criminal underworld.
Still not quite getting it. It's more about the endless cycle of vengeance that's been tearing their family apart since before they were even born. The Foot itself is split into two factions and is tearing the city apart in the crossfire. No "underworld power vacuum".

Obviously anything they tried was going to be censored, and I totally get why they wouldn't touch the Splinter/April/Casey aspects. But even without that, the fact that they made it only a three parter was an insult. Same show made the Utrom/Turtles in Space arc last 10 episodes, Triceraton Invasion was 6, and even dedicated an entire season to that god awful Ninja Tribunal crap.

Now that I think about it, they should have just introduced Karai in an original story in season 2 and done City at War as their big season 5 arc. Coulda been cool and a good way to end the pre-subtitles era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
As much as I love 4Kids TMNT, "City at War" had as much to do with the original as "City Fall" in IDW... nothing.

"City at War" is not a story for kids, kiddies, or cartoons. If you water it down, you destroy it. Same for "Shades of Gray" or "Sons of the Silent Age."

Some Mirage stuff is good and can be reinterpreted rather loosely. Not those stories.
Sons of the Silent Age could have worked. They just didn't have the guts to go through with the real ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
This thread should be locked. The cartoon was never going to be a 1:1 adaption of the comic storylines and anyone with common sense would know that.
You don't have to be such a piece of sh*t troll all the time, ya know? Every time this dead section stirs debate you have to come in here running your whiny co*ksucker about locking the thread. Just get a life.

Tags
cybercucked_is_cucking