The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 06-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
CyberCubed
Overlord

Do you have a side hustle outside your main job? *respect the hustle*

Do you have any side hustles?

*respect the hustle*

I don't personally have any myself, although I make a pretty penny selling things on ebay sometimes, but that doesn't really count.

*respect the hustle*

I need my free time so I can't work more than my regular job, but some people make thousands of more dollars a year with the side hustles.

*respect the hustle*
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

I'm all about aggregating pennies from a variety of income sources. I've setup a few things where I can....

-Day job

-LLC as a side gig. The work it requires is photography, reputation building and quick shipping. I'm actually surprised and pretty happy to say that I've had some pretty good transactions here with happy customers. Given some of the personality types at play, I never would've guessed that; but that's where you split the opinions from the business deals. If you get people what they pay for, people respect it, are happy and that's that.

-Passive dividend income. I take the payouts and let it pile up until I see a good reinvestment opportunity. The very short of this is that I've setup clusters of holdings on three different investment platforms, each platform housing in-kind investments.

-Second property. I've had this second prop for ten years. I'm doing some finishing work on it now actually, but I'm considering taking advantage of the housing market and selling it in a month or two.

My development goals for all of this are to make a call on the second house. To bolster my positions in crypto and to open new positions in brokerage with Verizon, Apple and Target. And lastly to put more time into my LLC - it has been very good to me for the last year and a half, but my current goals for that are to get a website setup that can basically service my inventory, at which time I'll probably hire the guys who work conventions for me from time to time to service that. I have no desire to own a brick and mortar store to be honest, but I might pay to transfer my current photo studio into the same location as a larger storage unit for my inventory - that would be huge for me but also appropriate as we move enough inventory with Wave 1 Collectibles to justify it.

Great thread.

Last edited by IMJ; 06-29-2021 at 10:31 AM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Tried OnlyFans. Was banned for indecent exposure. I guess it only works for attractive women.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I was going to say no, and it's largely still no, but if it counts I've had Cafepress shops forever and later Zazzle and RedBubble. Don't make much, but get a rare check once in a while.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Tried OnlyFans. Was banned for indecent exposure. I guess it only works for attractive women.

I don't know if you are pretty to look at, bud; but I'm sure that you were entertaining as hell!
Old 06-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

I was buying, selling and trading comics and collectibles from like 2012-2019. It was decent money, but it was hard not to put it right back into the collection. It did help me obtain some higher end collectibles, which was fun.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #7
ABrown
Banned

I'm not sure if what I do falls under this category. But on the weekends, I work part time at a liquor store. So in addition to my full time 40 hour a week job, I'm putting in an additional 15 hours a week at my second job.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:33 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown View Post
I'm not sure if what I do falls under this category. But on the weekends, I work part time at a liquor store. So in addition to my full time 40 hour a week job, I'm putting in an additional 15 hours a week at my second job.
Man, you have almost no free time, do you?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Freelance writer, been doing it for 31 years now.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Freelance writer, been doing it for 31 years now.
I'd like to hear more about this. I did this for years as well, but around the time I was really on fire with it I started getting out a bit due to my day job. And now that I have more time to do it, I'm sort of lost as to where to start again, which is ashame because I have a modestly entertaining "nerd writing" resume.
Old 06-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #11
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I'd like to hear more about this. I did this for years as well, but around the time I was really on fire with it I started getting out a bit due to my day job. And now that I have more time to do it, I'm sort of lost as to where to start again, which is ashame because I have a modestly entertaining "nerd writing" resume.
I started just before I turned 16, so that gives you an idea of how old I am heh. Began with current reviews of software for a system here in the UK for 2.5 years before they lost their franchise to publish. Which is around the time I then went to uni so I wouldn't have had as much time any how. Then I did odd bits for Future Publishing up until the turn of the century in Super Play and Edge to name but two. Wrote for Keith Ainsworth's Retro Gamer fanzine from near the start until the end. Then the (unrelated) Retro Gamer magazine launched in 2004 and started writing for them. Currently I'm a writer and reviewer for the revived Zzap!64 annual and magazines that cover the Commodore 64.

I suppose I can only suggest two things. First, know what you want to write about and have a passion for. Second, it can really, really help knowing the other people in your field of interests as they can provide contacts, links and opportunities to get onboard. Aside from initially starting out at Retro Gamer magazine, I pretty much knew at least one or two other people already writing for the other publications, due to being in certain scenes.

But I never ended up doing it full time because the full time pay for a lot of it is utter crap. So my full time job is something else I enjoy and I do this on the side for extra money at "contract rates" which are generally better anyhow.

The Zzap!64 stuff right now, I've known the guys who owned the copyright to the old publications for over ten years, the guy who relaunched it nearly fifteen, two of the other reviewers on the magazine I've known for nearly twenty. So we were all rather obvious picks to help out due to our expertise and already being known in the scene.