The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 02-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #21
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
One of the main arguements against free will in modern science is how electrical signals pulse through the human brain seconds before any conscious decision is even made.
Again, citations.
I'm assuming you mean the pre-frontal association areas, but don't know for certain without citations.

I mean, it's not as though the brain is ever devoid of signals. Even if you're just sitting there your brain is still processing proprioception, sensory, and motor input.

What makes Science science is the ability to present receipts.
Where as just about any argument can be made using philosophical rhetoric.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
Prowler
Emperor

What if we're all living the Truman Show? Or are a bunch of lab mice being observed by giant alien scientists? I can't be the only one who occasionally thinks that, right?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #23
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Again, citations.
I'm assuming you mean the pre-frontal association areas, but don't know for certain without citations.

I mean, it's not as though the brain is ever devoid of signals. Even if you're just sitting there your brain is still processing proprioception, sensory, and motor input.

What makes Science science is the ability to present receipts.
Where as just about any argument can be made using philosophical rhetoric.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scientific+studies+free+will

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Sure, memories are valuable but the reason we have them is because we made them. granted a lot of our experiences were a product of us being obliged to do them(going to school, for example), but still. And ofc a lot of our choices and preferences are influenced by our peers and society.
Peers and society are huge shaping things, of course. But those are still "things out of our control." There's a powderkeg of those every time one person that's the sum of their memories + their own unique brain chemistry bumps into another person that's the sum of their memories + unique brain chemistry. New variables are created, none of them voluntary, all of them giving us the illusion we're actually deciding or choosing anything of our own volition.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:42 PM   #25
plastroncafe

Quote:
So that's a another No, then.

I just don't think it's wise for you to make scientific proclamations when it's clear you have no actual background in the sciences.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #26
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:

I just don't think it's wise for you to make scientific proclamations when it's clear you have no actual background in the sciences.
Its nice that you think that.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:46 PM   #27
plastroncafe

Quote:
Its nice that you think that.
Isn't it just?!
I think so too.

Here, this will help you moving forward:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=elsevier+neuroscience+free+will
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #28
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Looks like the Op's been listening to some Sam Harris! Hahaha.
There's a great doc on the subject, covers both sides of the argument, that being Fred Wolf Leonardo and Sumac.

Seeing as choice is an illusion, then this debate must have a foregone conclusion.
Impressed the Mods haven't shut this down yet.
Leonardo_thebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #29
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_thebest View Post

Seeing as choice is an illusion, then this debate must have a foregone conclusion.
Okay, that was funny +10 points
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Doesn't it? It's kind of best not to think about it too much. I think.

Quote:
Why would they? It's not religious or political. It's not even social.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

Free will is the cornerstone of most faiths. An absence of free will means we are not culpable for our actions, so things like voting, or criminality take on new meaning.

If free will is an illusion, and we accept that, then nihilism becomes the default, and the concept of both God and Society dissolve.

Can't be held accountable for your actions if those actions are predetermined.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #32
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Free will is the cornerstone of most faiths. An absence of free will means we are not culpable for our actions, so things like voting, or criminality take on new meaning.

If free will is an illusion, and we accept that, then nihilism becomes the default, and the concept of both God and Society dissolve.
Well, none of this this thinking is compatible with most/any faith-based religions. Because then there's a soul involved and why wouldn't there be free will, it's your invisible inner spirit or whatever. If you're a person "of Faith," there's really no point in even discussing this topic.

Quote:
Can't be held accountable for your actions if those actions are predetermined.
Just because a murderer is only a murderer because of the sum of his memories and experiences and brain chemical balances/imbalances arrived him at that point doesn't mean we want that guy anywhere but locked up and/or dead himself. We do.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #33
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

All these pseudo-intellectual threads are boring. I miss talking about dumb **** and calling Doom a pedophile.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #34
Leonardo_thebest
Banned

My point was, if the gift that was given by "God" was B.S., proven to be so, then it would definitely erode a persons faith. The entire premise center around the responsibility of the individual, and their choice to do right or wrong, as defined by the church (I'm clearly using Christianity as an example, but it could easily be refitted to other faiths). Therefore, the bad person, had no choice but to be bad. Taken further, God, being omnipotent and omniscient, set in motion the bad deed. Therefore, the choice was gods, not the persons, and God is not perfect.

Once you establish God's gift is a lie, the religious get their knickers in a knot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
All these pseudo-intellectual threads are boring. I miss talking about dumb **** and calling Doom a pedophile.
Right on cue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Just because a murderer is only a murderer because of the sum of his memories and experiences and brain chemical balances/imbalances arrived him at that point doesn't mean we want that guy anywhere but locked up and/or dead himself. We do.
So if someone commits a crime, but had no choice in the matter, you feel we should punish them? I suppose, if that's your role, to inflict punishment, if that makes you feel good, I suppose you must.

The question is, to what extent do we live in a deterministic world.

What if, it's not all deterministic? What about probabilistic? What if we're still a slave, but to an unstable system? Quantum physics might have something to say about our consciousness, and why we make decisions at all.

Last edited by Leonardo_thebest; 02-12-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, but that still falls under the realm of "things out of our control," i.e., from no independent "choice" of our own.
I think it goes both ways: we can make choice, but it can be rendered meaningless by "things out of control".
Sometimes we are lucky and out choice is not disrupted.
So we go back to the Chaos.

On one hand, you can say that Chaos is not an absence of free will, but the very the nature of Chaos abhors free will, because, choice is representation of Order, i.e. it's something that should go from "point A to point B". In another words, conscious choice is a system - an opposite of Chaos.

On the other hand, what if not free will is representation of Chaos? Life itself is a Chaos incarnated, and our choices, whether they are dictated by our fickle brain chemistry or outside interference, a prolongation of it, since without choice there is no Chaos. Only system.

But essentially, I think, if you approach problem of choice from this positions, you come to the conclusion, that choice representation of both Chaos and Order. It originates from systems within our bodies, but at the same time, often informed by random desires and outside factors.

Quote:

I like that you use science as your personal whore.

When it agrees with you - you all about science.
When it disagrees with you - it immediately "knows nothing".
Twice as hilarious that you still refuse to show your "credentials", which you use to bully others into accepting your point of view.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #36
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Are there some here experiencing an existential crisis here? These philosophical threads about choice, religious views, etc. are becoming too popular.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #37
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
Are there some here experiencing an existential crisis here? These philosophical threads about choice, religious views, etc. are becoming too popular.
I know for a fact that I don't have an existensial crisis.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #38
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Just some users want to troll and bring some drama.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:42 PM   #39
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

Looks like Tonya Harding's words from "I, Tonya" would be applicable here then for these philosophical threads, "...There's no such thing as truth. Everyone has their own truth."
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #40
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Snip
How big was the bowl?

Quote:
I know I definitely am but I try not to leak that into a message board about cartoons.

EDIT: See folks, THAT is a legitimate use of "leak"!

Tags
plastron goes quiet