The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 04:47 AM   #421
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I've heard a few verifiable real-life humans complain about it. Their opinions ranged from 'it was a bit creepy' to 'it was disrespectful'. I thought it looked alright, if not a little distracting. They couldn't stop messing with his eyelids - making him do a weird, subtle squint that looked too 'animated' for lack of a better word.
He was animated a little odd. If they toned down his movements I could see it working much better for some people.

I don't understand where the "disrespectful" party is coming from. It was a recreation of the character Tarkin, not literally ressurecting Peter Cushing. By that logic the clone wars/rebels CGI models of Tarkin are a disrespect as well.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #422
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
He was animated a little odd. If they toned down his movements I could see it working much better for some people.

I don't understand where the "disrespectful" party is coming from. It was a recreation of the character Tarkin, not literally ressurecting Peter Cushing. By that logic the clone wars/rebels CGI models of Tarkin are a disrespect as well.
Tarkin would have looked great in the Jim Carrey A Christmas Carol.

ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #423
CyberCubed
Overlord

So it's January which means I finally saw the movie, just today in fact. I always wait to January to see Star Wars movies, although suprisingly my theater was still fairly filled, at least 75% of the seats from what I could tell were taken. I guess people do similar to me.

I liked the movie overall, although I agree somewhere at the end of the first act and the middle it seemed to drag quite a bit. Mostly the whole prison scenes and then scenes on the planet with the rain up until her father appeared. I'm also surprised I somehow managed to avoid spoilers of all the characters fates in the movie after all this time. I certainly didn't expect the outcome we got.

This was a dark movie. It's the first Star Wars film I feel isn't for kids. All the other Star Wars films are uplifting, comedic, and have fun and iconic characters made for action figures and comic books. This was a gritty war movie with characters purposely toned down and "bland" but it worked well. I liked the female lead too.

I think the space battles were the best of any of the movies. Rather exciting.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #424
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Tarkin would have looked great in the Jim Carrey A Christmas Carol.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2009...ticleLarge.jpg
I knew i recognized that odd skin tone from somewhere.

I wonder how bad that movie will look in 10-15 years.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #425
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:

Pretty sure if you're a dead screen actor, 9 times out of 10, if there's an afterlife and you're just kind of perpetually sitting there viewing the living, and someone asks you one day, "hey, dead actor guy, I know you've been dead for 40 years, but how do you feel about returning to the screen in some CGI version so people will be seeing you/talking about you again?" the answer is probably going to be yes. Versus the alternative.

People are getting upset about getting upset these days. All you can do is tune it out and silently, mentally give them a jerking off imogi.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-08-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:51 AM   #426
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
People are getting upset about getting upset these days. All you can do is tune it out and silently, mentally give them a jerking off imogi.
don't dare bring up the fact that people are saying this movie is ONLY the best star wars movie ever ONLY because the cast is so diverse.
Or bring up the fact that the only reason chinese actors are getting attention is because thy are pandering to a communist government.

people loose their crap and go all SJW on you just to look good.

imagine that.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #427
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Pretty sure if you're a dead screen actor, 9 times out of 10, if there's an afterlife and you're just kind of perpetually sitting there viewing the living, and someone asks you one day, "hey, dead actor guy, I know you've been dead for 40 years, but how do you feel about returning to the screen in some CGI version so people will be seeing you/talking about you again?" the answer is probably going to be yes.
It's not you returning to the screen though. It's a CGI Frankenstein's monster. Your likeness is all there is; your mannerisms may be copied, but the acting isn't your own.

There's a difference between bringing the character back and bringing the actor, the human being, back.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #428
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Yeah I dunno, I don’t feel the same way. If they had him dancing in an ad for vacuum cleaners or something, that would be different, but I thought it was as tastefully done as it could be. No worse than cutting in old footage anyway, so I think it’s the context and intent more than the technology. For a contrast sake, take Bruce Lee – the CGI face replacement they did for that whisky commercial was over the line in my opinion, because if he were alive, I don’t think he’d do it. But it’s no worse than what they did in Game of Death in the 70s, with more rudimentary technology.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #429
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its a shame none of the side characters, besides the robot, were memorable. It would have been a better movie if we were made to care more when people died.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #430
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Its a shame none of the side characters, besides the robot, were memorable. It would have been a better movie if we were made to care more when people died.
Chirrut was pretty memorable.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #431
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
If I have to google him to know who he is then no he wasn't memorable. Having a gimmick doesn't make something memorable in fact I found him rather annoying.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #432
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I liked the two husbands. They were great.
Also the pilot. Oh and Forrest Whitaker's character.

And I'm always in the mood to see Hannibal act.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #433
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Agreed.

I thought Jyn's arc was brilliant. Even though it was pretty cliche to kill off Galen, the fact that her father restored her faith and inspired her after so many years apart was deep.

I also thought Captain Andor was badass.

And they tied in a freaking (formerly) one-off TCW character. That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
If I have to google him to know who he is then no he wasn't memorable. Having a gimmick doesn't make something memorable in fact I found him rather annoying.
Yes, because one little man had a short attention span means he wasn't memorable.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #434
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

I agree with everyone the character development SUCKED in Rouge one didn't really care about anone once they died. I barley knew any of the names of the other characters besides Jyn Sau gurerra and the robot

I did enjoy the blind asian dude and the asian samoan guy with the big gun but shame they never mentioned there names in the movie

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 01-11-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Autbot_Benz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #435
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post

I did enjoy the blind asian dude and the asian samoan guy with the big gun but shame they never mentioned there names in the movie
If you were actually paying attention, they did say their names. The blind guy was Chirrut and his friend was Baze.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #436
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Yeah, if they mentioned their names in the movie, I never caught them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #437
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't really remember any of their names either. I just known them as, "blind Asian guy," "other Asian guy with long hair," "scruffy looking guy with irish accent," "other guy with black hair who was with Jyn most of the movie," "the robot," and "the black guy who used a breathing thing and sounded like Darth Vader."

I don't even know what the name of the main villain general in the white suit was either.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #438
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
"scruffy looking guy with irish accent"
Who the hell had an Irish accent?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #439
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Who the hell had an Irish accent?
Maybe it was Scottish? I don't know, all those accents sound the same to me, I can't tell the difference.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:41 PM   #440
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I think he's talking about the Imperial pilot dude.
Anyway, I also didn't know anyone's names, outside of Jyn's. I guess you're supposed to buy the toys and learn them that way. The names are intentionally weird-sounding, and so unless you know them ahead of time, anytime someone says his name it just sounds like mumbo-jumbo.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote