The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #1
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Krang with rewritten origin?

It seems to imply that the 1987 and 2012 tmnt shows are linked, if this Krang is supposed to be the same Krang was saw in the 80s. While he was portrayed accurately for the most part, I felt something was missing

In the 80s he said he was banished, and it seems like the Kraang banished him, but they did it because he was incompetent.

Does anyone find that strange? I know that once in a blue moon when Krang did fight, he could be a push over, but most of the time, he was pretty dangerous, especially when he grew into a giant. I don't see how he was a screw up, because if you think about it, most of Krang's plans would have worked and he would have destroyed the Turtles already if it wasn't for Bebop and Rocksteady's incompetence, or Shredder's obsession with revenge against the turtles.

I felt like his origin could have been different.

He could still be a cousin to Kraang Subprime. I feel as if he looked different from all the other Kraang because he was a different breed of Utrom. Kraang Subprime would convince Krang to work with Kraang Prime. Knowing how power hungry is, Krang joins and he and Subprime are the only Utrom to willingly join the Kraang

However while Subprime is fanatical about his loyalty to Prime, Krang himself starts to see that it is dumb to follow orders all the time and tries to convince Subprime to betray Prime. Subrime is too fanatical and loyal to betray Prime, thinking things are better off to follow the most powerful Utrom, while Krang sees that he can be a better ruler than all of them, and disagrees with Subprime, thinking Prime should not be the ruler of all the Kraang

Krang secretly collaborates with the alien Drakus to build his own version of the Technodrome, as well as mutagen to make his own versions of Rock Soldiers. Subrprime sees this and they fight, to which Krang is defeated, his android body destroyed and banished to Earth after being deemed a great threat

I feel that this would have been a better origin. It would have shown that Krang was more dangerous than one originally thought, and he would be the only Utrom that's both an enemy to the Utrom and the Kraang.

Last edited by Yabuturtle; 04-15-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Yabuturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I have a hard time retroactively reading the Nick explanation back onto the Fred Wolf continuity, but hey, that show would change its laws and logic at the whim of a different writer... or even the same writer in David Wise's case!

And then there's this theory:

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think thats exactly what happened, but Kraang Subprime spread around the lie that his cousin was stupid and incompetent to make him look bad
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Powder
So tired of this place

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I think thats exactly what happened, but Kraang Subprime spread around the lie that his cousin was stupid and incompetent to make him look bad
I feel it makes sense that they would banish him because he was a threat. I wasn't sure if Krang was actually from an alternate Dimension X or this Dimension X is supposed to be the same one as the 80s show. And since it seems to be, why else would he have his own technodrome and his own rock soldiers. It makes it seem like he defected against the Kraang in order to have his own army, since the Kraang have their rock soldiers and their own technodrome, too.

Krang amassed a pretty big army and was well known by many to be a ruthless warlord. No way that someone so incompetent would have such a large empire and it doesn't seem like he was doing this for the Kraang but for himself, which means he must have betrayed the Kraang at some point Maybe General Traag and the others were actually carrying on the fight and fighting other Kraang while the Neutrinos were caught in the crossfire.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yabuturtle View Post
I feel it makes sense that they would banish him because he was a threat. I wasn't sure if Krang was actually from an alternate Dimension X or this Dimension X is supposed to be the same one as the 80s show. And since it seems to be, why else would he have his own technodrome and his own rock soldiers. It makes it seem like he defected against the Kraang in order to have his own army, since the Kraang have their rock soldiers and their own technodrome, too.

Krang amassed a pretty big army and was well known by many to be a ruthless warlord. No way that someone so incompetent would have such a large empire and it doesn't seem like he was doing this for the Kraang but for himself, which means he must have betrayed the Kraang at some point Maybe General Traag and the others were actually carrying on the fight and fighting other Kraang while the Neutrinos were caught in the crossfire.
Makes sense considering the fact that the rock soldiers didn't appear too often in the original series, since they were mostly busy out there in Dimension X fighting the Kraang, Neutrinos, other races etc.

Krang's army sounds much more dangerous than the kraangs, id say the only reason Krang was defeated and banished was because the Kraang hivemind was far bigger than Krangs rocksoldier army (having thousands of technodrome), so big infact that they were able to fight off the triceraton empire.

Unrelated to the main thread, but what do you think of the 87 amd 2012 triceratons? Could they be related? Both versions refer to their factions as "the Triceraton empire", have an eerily similar plan involving a device (the stargate amd blackhole generator) and their universes are linked through the backstory of Krang.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:39 AM   #7
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Makes sense considering the fact that the rock soldiers didn't appear too often in the original series, since they were mostly busy out there in Dimension X fighting the Kraang, Neutrinos, other races etc.

Krang's army sounds much more dangerous than the kraangs, id say the only reason Krang was defeated and banished was because the Kraang hivemind was far bigger than Krangs rocksoldier army (having thousands of technodrome), so big infact that they were able to fight off the triceraton empire.

Unrelated to the main thread, but what do you think of the 87 amd 2012 triceratons? Could they be related? Both versions refer to their factions as "the Triceraton empire", have an eerily similar plan involving a device (the stargate amd blackhole generator) and their universes are linked through the backstory of Krang.
I think that is who they were fighting as well. Neutrinos were pretty peaceful and were caught in the crossfire. They never specified who they were at war with in the 80s too. Just that the dimension x was a place of total war and it was being carried on after he was banished. I would have loved to see the rock soldiers right against the Kraang and other rock soldiers.

It just always made sense to be and seems to be the only reason why Krang has his own version of the Technodrome and his own Rock Soldiers. Knowing how sneaky Krang is, and that he doesn't like to share credit normally, he must have betrayed the Kraang. Krang doesn't seem to willingly go along with others unless it is to his advantage and since he doesn't normally like team ups, he will dispose of them if they are of no use or are a threat to his plans. Him betraying the Kraang seems pretty in character of Krang. It also would have made him the only Utrom that was against both the other Utrom and Kraang and it would have been an interesting rivalry between him and his cousin Subprime.

I think is the only one he wanted to work with because they are family, and wanted to convince him to leave Prime so they can work together, but Subprime was too loyal and too much of a fanatic to betray Prime, which would be an interesting rivalry between the two and so Krang went alone and tried to rule everything by himself.

It is an interesting question, as the writers were either inspired by that episode or those Triceratons are the same ones in the 80s toon. Wondering if they went to 2D earth at some point in time. They seemed to have the same kind of goals and personality as well for the most part.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 AM   #8
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

When the Triceratons first appeared in the 2k12 toon, it immediately got me thinking of the 87 versions. Since its heavily implied that both versions share the same Dimension X and that Krang was retconned to be a member of the Kraang, I think its also possible that the Triceratons from both shows are the same.

It could've gone like this:

After the destruction of their homeworld at the hands of the Kraang, the Triceratons attempted to re-colonize themselves and destroy their enemies at the same time. They made a plan where they would use two devices, the stargate generator and the blackhole generator for two different purposes. The stargate generator was built for transporting a planet into Dimension X while the Blackhole generator had the capability of destroying an entire planet.

In their quest for searching a planet, the triceratons settled on earth because of their dislike for humans, whom they saw as worthy of punishment due to their arrogance, disregard for the environment and so on. When they discovered that 3D Earth was inhabited by Kraang, they saw this as a perfect opportunity to wipe out both the Kraang and humans while 2D earth would be transported to Dimension X where humans would be used as slave labour
Old 04-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:

Makes sense, since they could stand oxygen. The Triceraton homeworlds in the original series are located in another part of the Milky Way Galaxy, since they said they would open the stargate and wait for the Earth's orbit to carry Earth through the statgate, immediately transporting it across the galaxy. But maybe they ended up there after escaping Dimension X?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #10
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

I always liked Krang's designs. I do feel that it would have been cool too if he had his IDW design. There he has more than two tentacles, just like the Kraang, too and his mouth is different as well as the color of his skin. Personally I would have liked it if he had his IDW body and the Turtles Forever version of the Technodrome.

Still though I like the original design. I think it would have been cool to hear the dialogue between Krang and Subprime, with both of them trying to convince the other to join.

I do wonder why Krang is the only Utrom that looks different from all of the others. We never see any other Utrom that looks like that, except in The Four Muskaturtles, which means he' either a mutant Utrom or a different breed of Utrom

I wonder if he could have taken down Prime by himself. Perhaps that was also one of the reasons why he invented the Molecular Amplification chip so he can grow into a giant and take down Prime by himself, since Prime is also a giant.

And it's strange seeing how he was listening to Subprime in TT. I don't know why he didn't just squash Subprime. I don't recall Subprime ever changing his size.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I think the chip he had in TT was given to him by Subprime along with the Kraang portal but Subprime wouldnt be foolish enough to give him a chip that was undefeatable like in the 87 episodes. Since 8 turtles were able to take him down, Subprime would also probably be able to take down King Kong Krang using the Kraang army in case he was double crossed.

The chip in TT is very powerful, but much smaller and weaker than the one in the original series. It was King Kong sized rather than Godzilla sized and was still defeatable in a direct fight despite holding its own against both the 80s and the 2k12 turtles. Atleast it was still threatening respectable unlike the one in Turtles Forever which was pure trash.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I think the chip he had in TT was given to him by Subprime along with the Kraang portal but Subprime wouldnt be foolish enough to give him a chip that was undefeatable like in the 87 episodes. Since 8 turtles were able to take him down, Subprime would also probably be able to take down King Kong Krang using the Kraang army in case he was double crossed.

The chip in TT is very powerful, but much smaller and weaker than the one in the original series. It was King Kong sized rather than Godzilla sized and was still defeatable in a direct fight despite holding its own against both the 80s and the 2k12 turtles. Atleast it was still threatening respectable unlike the one in Turtles Forever which was pure trash.
Strangely enough the one in Turtles Forever looked bigger but was taken down quicker. I know Chrell is a good fighter, but Krang was taken down way too easily. But pretty much everyone in the 80s show was taken down easily.

He did seem bigger in the 80s, roughly the size of Kraang Prime to me. I would think that's why he made that chip. He didn't need it for the Turtles so much or against Shredder, since he was more powerful and more intelligent than Shredder already as well as the Turtles. Krang was a guy who very rarely fought in direct combat. He probably invented it because he knew he wouldn't be able to beat Kraang Prime unless he got that chip to work.

I'm guessing he wanted the Rock Soldiers to take over Earth so he could more easily rule Dimension X. That and combined with the resources of Earth and the foot soldiers, he would use it for his base, so he could stand a better chance against the Kraang this time. The guys who banished him

In TT, he seem overjoyed that the Kraang was letting him go home. To me, I would think that Krang would be more resentful against the Kraang for destroying his body and banishing him, especially against his cousin, and you'd think he'd want to go against them. This is the reason why I wish he was an enemy to the Kraang instead.

With him having his own version of Rock Soldiers, his own Technodrome, the fact that he was banished by the Kraang from Dimension X and he was making a chip to expand his size, it kind of made it seem like they were originally going to have Krang betray the Kraang and be an enemy to the Kraang and Subprime as well as the Turtles, but made some last minute changes, and did sort of a "Turtles Forever" move and label Krang somewhat stupid and incompetent.

Last edited by Yabuturtle; 04-16-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It seems to imply that the 1987 and 2012 tmnt shows are linked, if this Krang is supposed to be the same Krang was saw in the 80s. While he was portrayed accurately for the most part, I felt something was missing

In the 80s he said he was banished, and it seems like the Kraang banished him, but they did it because he was incompetent.

Does anyone find that strange? I know that once in a blue moon when Krang did fight, he could be a push over, but most of the time, he was pretty dangerous
Who did he ever kill, that we saw?

Nobody.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Who did he ever kill, that we saw?

Nobody.
Oh gee, I don't know. How about Beserko's home world?

You probably forgot about that. That's fine, quite a few did. But if you mean personally kill on tv, than no. But you know this is a kid's show right? They're not going to show someone get killed, especially back then.

Krang amassed an entire empire and ruled quite a large portion of Dimension X. You can't tell me he didn't do that without slaughtering billions, possibly trillions of people. Krang was quite competent and most of his plans would have worked. He could have destroyed the Turtles long ago without the interference of Bebop and Rocksteady and even Shredder.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:10 PM   #15
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They can only ever say, not do.

Especially considering that he destroyed an entire planet just to keep one guy's family from chasing him.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Krang amassed an entire empire and ruled quite a large portion of Dimension X. You can't tell me he didn't do that without slaughtering billions, possibly trillions of people. Krang was quite competent and most of his plans would have worked. He could have destroyed the Turtles long ago without the interference of Bebop and Rocksteady and even Shredder.
"Show, don't tell," is the adage. What did we ever see him do in real-time on the show, even if "off camera"? To establish him as this big threat?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #17
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
"Show, don't tell," is the adage. What did we ever see him do in real-time on the show, even if "off camera"? To establish him as this big threat?
The Neutrinos in season One did tell the turtles about how Krang had billions of Rock soldiers and was a feared warlord across Dimension X. They looked miserable as their home planet was nothing but pure war and waste.

The Rock soldiers were shown to be fanatically loyal to him and the episode "Shredder and Splintered" showed a lot of them ready to attack from Dimension X in the hundreds, if not thousands. The turtles had enough trouble defeating Traag alone, so imagine Traag times a billion.

He and the other characters acknowledged how his body was practically invincible when it was enlarged to the size of Godzilla, towering over skyscrapers and destroying them with ease. Infact, this stayed true till the very last episode, where Krang's android body defeated Giant Lord Dregg with his powerful exoskeleton and the power of five of the galaxy's most powerful aliens multiplied a hundred fold.

The technodrome, when it moved, was a giant threat that could destroy skyscrapers/bridges and do other things like not be phased by hundreds of rockets from army tanks. It also survived extremely rough conditions like the Arctic and the Earth's core and the turtles were aware that not stopping it would result in the destruction of the entire city and the conquering of the entire planet whose combined armies would stand no chance.

Albeit offscreen, Krang did destroy Beserko's entire home planet, slaughtering all of his relatives ruthlessly.

In "Wrath of the Rat King", we see how Krang's weapon by divine right, the shockwave, was capable of destroying entire buildings in a single blast.

Krang almost had Baxter killed on-screen, if it wasn't for the fly mutating him instead. Baxter's screams and Krang's intent speaks for itself.

In "Shredder Triumphant", Krang swapped his android body's hands for an axe and threatened to butcher Splinter.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 04-16-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #18
Yabuturtle
Stone Warrior

Quote:
We know a lot of his plans would have worked were it not for interference. It's difficult to pin point exactly what he's done personally since the Technodrome is usually in a powered down state and Krang himself rarely fights. They stood no chance against him when he was a giant and they had to shrink him down. In the Season 3 finale, he was a couple minutes away from destroying multiple cities on Earth.

There was the time in Cyber Turtles where he actually got the Firestar and nearly merged the universe with Dimension X. If that happened, his whole army would have laid waste to the Earth.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Quote:
The Neutrinos in season One did tell the turtles about how
So... just tell? And not in real-time?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
So... just tell? And not in real-time?
Not on screen for most but those things did happen and the character's reactions establish him as a big threat from the beginning. Go read my post again.