The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 08-31-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Second World War Outbreak 80th Anniversary

Tomorrow is 80 years ago since the beginning of the bloodiest international military conflict ever.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 11-20-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

It seems like such a long time ago, but it really wasn't when we think about it.

Really, just the sheer scale of World War 2 makes me think what a Third World War would be like. Of course, there have been many measures just to prevent such an occurence again (such as the creation of the United Nations), but there were also measures implemented after the First World War which ended up failing, so we never really know.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

OP, this is one of those threads that can turn out political fast. Just saying.

Anyway, I do not have much else to say about World War 2 that hasn't been said a billion times before already. Just gonna say two things:

1) Luckily my country was one of the few European countries to stay neutral throughout the war. Meaning it avoided all the bloodshed and destruction of the conflict.

2) This war still affects our world to this day and will continue to do so for a while. Have we really learned from it, though? I doubt.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
OP, this is one of those threads that can turn out political fast. Just saying.

Anyway, I do not have much else to say about World War 2 that hasn't been said a billion times before already. Just gonna say two things:

1) Luckily my country was one of the few European countries to stay neutral throughout the war. Meaning it avoided all the bloodshed and destruction of the conflict.

2) This war still affects our world to this day and will continue to do so for a while. Have we really learned from it, though? I doubt.
Same. It’s hard to really understand what this war must have like back then, as we weren’t even born until decades later. I learnt a lot about World War 2 in school from History class and my country was one of the few Euro countries able to stay neutral too. That period was called the Emergency in Ireland at the time.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Same. It’s hard to really understand what this war must have like back then, as we weren’t even born until decades later. I learnt a lot about World War 2 in school from History class and my country was one of the few Euro countries able to stay neutral too. That period was called the Emergency in Ireland at the time.
Always wonder how Ireland and some of the other European countries were able to stay out of WWII with Hitler's invasion and taking up good chucks of Europe along the way. Had America not join, Hitler not attack Russia, and England failed, I think you guys would be giving little choice but to fight a more powerful Germany down the road, assuming Germany didn't just walk right in and claim victory.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Yeah, I agree. About 50 million people died all over Europe, didn't they? Terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1237 View Post
Always wonder how Ireland and some of the other European countries were able to stay out of WWII with Hitler's invasion and taking up good chucks if Europe along the way. Had America not join, Hitler not attack Russia, and England failed, I think you guys would be giving little choice but to fight a more powerful Germany down the road, assuming Germany didn't just walk right in and claim victory.
I cannot speak about Ireland's neutrality or its reasons, but in portugal's case it was a combination of factors:

- Portugal had participated in WW1 and lost a lot of military during it. Even if the country wasn't invaded or attacked on its soil. This made us learn our lesson and avoid repeating the same mistake with WW2.

- Portugal had a far-right/fascist government during WW2 but Salazar, the leader, did not like Hitler much, so he'd never want to ally with him.

- Portugal had the longest-standing alliance with the United Kingdom. Which meant if we allied with the Axis we'd get the English on our soil a few days afterwards and possibly get conquered. Since Germany was the one to declare war on England, we had no obligation to join England in the war. And clearly, there wasn't much of an advantage in Portugal joining the Allies either, so we decided it was best to stay neutral. Plus, Spain's Franco was also neutral(the country had been ravaged due to tis civil war) and we probably didn't know if they'd join the war later or not, and if they had ended up on an opposite side(Franco would definitely have allied with Hilter) it could mean danger for us.

- Germany never disrespected our neutrality. You might remember they disrespected Denmark's Belgium's and the Netherland's neutrality, but Portugal was a bit too far and is also geographically a bit far from the UK, so there was no point for Germany to try and come here. Also, Portugal sold supplies to both the Allies and the Axis at first, in order to compromise. And also eventually let USA build a base at the Azores.

- African colonies. Portugal had its African colonies at the time still and they bordered British, French and German colonies. So, it was best to stay put and not take part in the war. No way we'd have had enough man power to protect the colonies if we had decided to go to war.

- The closest Portugal got into joining the war was when Japan invaded East Timor, a tiny Portuguese colony at the time. But we just let them do it and only formally protested iirc. We still decided not to go to war.

So yeah, no advantages in joining the war, regardless of side.And no one thought we were strategically important to invade. Plus, once we let the US get a base in the Azores it means the Allies could refuel there and not need to annex our territory. Just like the Axis wouldn't now try to invade us if they wanted to because there was an enemy base close to continental Portugal.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

I am American, and thus my Country was part of the "BIG 3" of the war, of course that being America, England, and Russia. Like others has said, there is not really much I can say about it. Amazing WWI happen over 100 years ago. Meaning if WWII is turning 80, in 20 years we may all be for its 100th Anniversary.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote