The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Which did the crossover better.
4Kids (Turtles Forever) 16 44.44%
Nick (TransDimensional Turtles, Wanted Bebop and Rocksteady) 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Turtles Forever vs the Nick crossovers

There was a thread like this before titled TransDimensional Turtles vs Turtles Forever but I'd be interested to see what people think when comparing Turtles Forever and all of the Nick crossovers overall, both equalling 1 hour, 20 minutes in total so its a more fair comparison.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Nick hands down. Just better overall. Likely because the OT VOs were actually involved

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 AM   #3
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Nick.

The disrespectful pigs that made Turtles Forever can burn in the abyss forgotten for all time.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Nick's portrayal was not "perfect" with the FW Turtles but it was closer to 80-85 % rather than the 30% or so from Turtles Forever. Probably one of the biggest issues I had with the recent crossover was the Turtles highly reluctant to use their weapons on the Foot Soldiers. The FW's had no problems slicing and dicing those robots. Another issue, is they had trouble with basic "training". They were NOT slackers(not usually anyway). Splinter would not have allowed that to go on for too long.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
neatoman
Emperor

Just in terms of writing? Turtles Forever. It tied into the main storyline, Ch'rell had a clear goal, you felt more tension and you didn't go away from it feeling like it was a waste of time.

The Nick crossover are kind of forgettable and pointless, I could barely remember anything from the second one a few hours after I watched it. The first one breaks the flow of the space arc and is just kind of bizarre to watch, while the second one feels like it's at least 60% filler, pretty boring. Ironically the only parts I like about them are when they poke holes in the FW cartoon, which is about the only criticism some people here seems to have. Also, I don't think it was more "respectful" in any way, the FW character were still depicted as dumb and incompetent.

I've said my piece on the "insults" before, I just don't care if they were insulting (which I don't think they were, it's an exaggeration to say they were). The Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #6
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Nick.

The disrespectful pigs that made Turtles Forever can burn in the abyss forgotten for all time.
You said it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Also, I don't think it was more "respectful" in any way, the FW character were still depicted as dumb and incompetent.
Whatever you say pal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4soeXHbSfGs&t=1s

Quote:
The Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biganimefan View Post
Putting aside being a fan of the series, I think of it as the best quality kids' show that started in the 80's.
The production and writing was I would say B level which is pretty damned good still.

Last edited by pferreira; 09-14-2017 at 09:11 AM.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Quote:
The Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.
Putting aside being a fan of the series, I think of it as the best quality kids' show that started in the 80's.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Not a very high bar...

Hahahaha!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #9
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
JThe Fred Wolf cartoon is just another crappy kids' show from the 80's and no, boosting the popularity of the characters is not enough to earn it respect.
sigh..smh...
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Turtles Forever. Other than having the original voice actors, Nick's second crossover didn't give the OT turtles any better treatment.

Quote:
Nick.

Really dude, what is wrong with you?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 AM   #11
Vegita-San
Emperor

Turtles Forever was awesome.

they just needed to characterize the 80s turtles a bit better and get the original voice actors. would have been epic with a redub.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Compared to the average kid cartoons today? FW TMNT is like Casablanca.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #13
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

The vote seems to be far more evenly split this time while in the previous thread, it was about 60/40.

I'll admit, I like Turtles Forever more as a movie in general but as a tmnt fan looking for a tmnt crossover, I'd take the Nick ones anyday.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-14-2017 at 04:54 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I feel like it gave the OT Turtles just a little more dignity, personally. Sure, it did the "physics works differently in the other universe" thing, and the nervousness about being violent was more a jab at the parenting climate at the time.

So that made OT Leonardo's first taste of "actual" violence a lot more fun.

The Space Heroes discussion was pretty funny, when they say it's "live action" in the other universe and I'm just...trying to imagine what that means for them.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Nick.

Anyways, I would rather watch Turtles Forever. The Nick crossover is too stupid, even for me.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
ABrown
Banned

Not even close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TurtlesForever.jpg (98.8 KB, 7 views)
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #17
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Turtles Forever. Other than having the original voice actors, Nick's second crossover didn't give the OT turtles any better treatment.
This.

I've given people crap about their Turtles Forever whining, but at least you knew what you were getting up front with that. Nick gave us a good crossover episode with competent turtles, & then completely retconned them to useless idiots in the second one. They lose major points for that. Having the original voice cast made them very enjoyable all the same, but season 5's 3 parter left a bad taste in my mouth.

Turtle's forever has super high stakes, gave the Mirage turtles their first animated appearance, & was just overall more enjoyable for me.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This.

I've given people crap about their Turtles Forever whining, but at least you knew what you were getting up front with that. Nick gave us a good crossover episode with competent turtles, & then completely retconned them to useless idiots in the second one. They lose major points for that. Having the original voice cast made them very enjoyable all the same, but season 5's 3 parter left a bad taste in my mouth.

Turtle's forever has super high stakes, gave the Mirage turtles their first animated appearance, & was just overall more enjoyable for me.
I guess they are willing to accept any portrayal of FW Leo if he's voiced by Cam Clarke? I mostly just think of Clarke as the guy who spouted nonsense about genetic engineering and war for 10 minutes so I don't care who's voice it is.
Hahahaha!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #19
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I guess they are willing to accept any portrayal of FW Leo if he's voiced by Cam Clarke? I mostly just think of Clarke as the guy who spouted nonsense about genetic engineering and war for 10 minutes so I don't care who's voice it is.
Not me with the amount of complaints I had about OT Leonardo in my review of the special.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #20
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Turtles Forever. Other than having the original voice actors, Nick's second crossover didn't give the OT turtles any better treatment.:
Agreed. I thought Nick's first crossover was decent but didn't care much for the second one. Turtles Forever was better overall even though it had its own problems.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote