The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #81
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Amy is the Dixie Carter of superhero movies
Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #82
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Once again Amy Pascal just throwing **** against the wall. Feige didn't look like he agreed with what she was saying. He's also said the exact opposite multiple times recently.

Sure, Sony could throw Tom Holland into these side movies if they sign him to a new contract but they aren't really part of the MCU if Marvel Studios isn't involved.
I don't think either one is wrong. It's like I surmised before:

1. Marvel continues using Spider-Man in their movies in a partnership with Sony, but we all know these are basically Marvel Studios movies.
2. Sony builds their Spider-Man expanded universe on the Sony side of the fence, designed in such a way to not intersect or contradict with anything actually going on at Marvel (i.e., the Avengers just defeated Thanos before the events of the Venom movie... the Venom movie just doesn't talk about it). And they can probably use Spider-Man in it whenever they damn feel like it (Spider-Man didn't cease being their character when they made the deal with Marvel, or anything). And I'm sure Sony could clear this or that with Marvel, given their good relationship (i.e., "Hey Kevin Feige, can we talk about including Ant-Man in our Sinister Six movie?"). And vice versa, Marvel COULD incorporate stuff from the Sony expanded spider-verse into the solo Spider-Man movies.

The deal actually benefits both parties. Sony is free to do what they want in their Spider-verse on the side, and Marvel doesn't HAVE to use it in the solo Spider-Man movies or other MCU movies... but they COULD if they want to and it's a success. If Venom and all that is a failure? It can neatly be swept under the rug by both parties, like it never happened. And the neat thing about Sony is they can actually put out an R-rated Venom movie, while Marvel Studios' hands are tied by Disney. We can get a bloody, cursing Venom movie... and down the road, maybe he pops into a Spider-Man solo movie.

Win win.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 06-18-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 AM   #83
ToTheNines
[sic]

That's all good and well, I just don't understand this Venom business at all. Tom Hardy is 40, MCU Peter is currently 16. They've always been rivals before the symbiotic ends up latching on. Even if it's a Dawson-cast, what's the youngest he can believably play? 30?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #84
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
That's all good and well, I just don't understand this Venom business at all. Tom Hardy is 40, MCU Peter is currently 16. They've always been rivals before the symbiotic ends up latching on. Even if it's a Dawson-cast, what's the youngest he can believably play? 30?
I dunno... how old is regular, non-Ultimate Marvel Brock supposed to be in the comics?

He looks about 40 to me.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #85
ToTheNines
[sic]

Right, but Peter was a grown-ass man by then, too.

Don't get me wrong, it's better casting than Eric fuc*ing Foreman, but considering the current Spidey... I don't get it.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #86
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Right, but Peter was a grown-ass man by then, too.

Don't get me wrong, it's better casting than Eric fuc*ing Foreman, but considering the current Spidey... I don't get it.

lmao

Yeah, the MCU/non-MCU/Sony Venom that they're creating is likely going to have a backstory that deviates a lot from the comics. I wonder what motivation they'll give to Brock to hate Peter, or if they're even going to go that route at all. Plus it's already going to be weird because I can't see Peter getting the symbiote before Brock, so the symbiote and Brock just have to be given some random reason to hate Peter?

Or not, and Sony is just doing random things for random reasons and their version of Venom will have very little in common with its comic counterpart
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:17 PM   #87
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I don't think the comics version of Venom's origin ever has been adapted anywhere else.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM   #88
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I don't think the comics version of Venom's origin ever has been adapted anywhere else.
With the Beyonder and the whole Marvel universe in a single planet? Yeah...that's not likely to happen on the big screen .
It'd be cool though.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #89
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
From what I've read of it... is it even a good idea to try?

"Peter gets symbiote, symbiote corrupts Peter, Peter gets a black suit, Peter gets rid of symbiote and symbiote finds Brock."

I don't think that part should be messed with, though.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM   #90
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
With the Beyonder and the whole Marvel universe in a single planet? Yeah...that's not likely to happen on the big screen .
It'd be cool though.
No, I mean the whole thing about Eddie Brock publishing a fake story about Sin-Eater's identity, and then Spidey revealing the real identity, and Brock getting pissed over that.
The Sin-Eater story is a good one and I wish someone had the balls to adapt it for the big screen.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #91
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
https://media.giphy.com/media/uhArJ25L9Ycfu/giphy.gif
lmao

Yeah, the MCU/non-MCU/Sony Venom that they're creating is likely going to have a backstory that deviates a lot from the comics. I wonder what motivation they'll give to Brock to hate Peter, or if they're even going to go that route at all. Plus it's already going to be weird because I can't see Peter getting the symbiote before Brock, so the symbiote and Brock just have to be given some random reason to hate Peter?
Excellent gif lol.

Agreed, mostly. But even though it might cramp the narrative, they could have Peter join with the symbiote in the first act of Infinity War and maybe have him ditch it in a post-credit scene? That would be Marvel doing Sony a gi-fuc*ing-normous favor, with their silly Venom movie coming out 5 months later, but I don't see any other way around it if they're planning on making any kind of larger connection.

But you kinda still need to have Peter be present in your Venom origin story. Who knows?

Quote:
Or not, and Sony is just doing random things for random reasons and their version of Venom will have very little in common with its comic counterpart
Probably.

Quote:
No, I mean the whole thing about Eddie Brock publishing a fake story about Sin-Eater's identity, and then Spidey revealing the real identity, and Brock getting pissed over that.
The Sin-Eater story is a good one and I wish someone had the balls to adapt it for the big screen.
What a fitting time to make a movie about FAKE NEWS and the failing, totally biased Daily Bugle. Major loser @jjjameson is a lightweight editor!
Old 06-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #92
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I'm just gonna say it: Tom Hardy is too short! He was too short for Bane and he's too short for Venom. It doesn't matter if he can be made to look tall in a movie, but I will always know they can't just have a shot where Bane and Batman are side by side, because Bane would be a head shorter.

edit: then again, Venom will likely be CGI tall like Lizard. It doesn't matter if Eddie himself is short.

Through the Golden Door

Last edited by AT-Man; 06-19-2017 at 03:48 PM.
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #93
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I'm just gonna say it: Tom Hardy is too short! He was too short for Bane and he's too short for Venom. It doesn't matter if he can be made to look tall in a movie, but I will always know they can't just have a shot where Bane and Batman are side by side, because Bane would be a head shorter.
Camera tricks can solve all of that.

Remember Gimli from the Lord of the Rings movies? He's that big ass dude who keeps Indiana Jones from eating the poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #94
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Camera tricks can solve all of that.

Remember Gimli from the Lord of the Rings movies? He's that big ass dude who keeps Indiana Jones from eating the poisoned dates in Raiders of the Lost Ark
That's one of the many reasons why I've always wanted Peter Jackson to do a TMNT movie. He also does a great job with group dynamics and fantastical settings... and adaptations.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #95
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I still can't forsee anything out of this until more details are given.

Tom Hardy is a decent choice for the role though. I just hope Venom can be done right. The last time he really was awesome outside the comics was Spectacular Spider-Man, even though I'm not a huge fan with his last episode in it.

Andrew did bring up a good point on it being beneficial to both parties, but it also can be swept under depending on what occurs. Regardless, I'm interested if this can get off the ground.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 PM   #96
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I still can't forsee anything out of this until more details are given.

Tom Hardy is a decent choice for the role though. I just hope Venom can be done right. The last time he really was awesome outside the comics was Spectacular Spider-Man, even though I'm not a huge fan with his last episode in it.

Andrew did bring up a good point on it being beneficial to both parties, but it also can be swept under depending on what occurs. Regardless, I'm interested if this can get off the ground.
You're one of the resident webhead fans around here; how do you feel towards Venom as a character? One of your faves, or overrated?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #97
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
You're one of the resident webhead fans around here; how do you feel towards Venom as a character? One of your faves, or overrated?
It all depends on who writes him and how he's portrayed.

Honestly, Venom is still cool, but overrated personally. I'd put him as my eighth or seventh favorite Spider-Man villain. Comics, especially his earlier days, he was awesome. The Todd McFarlane days were amazing and still hold up. I really liked the Ultimate Comics portrayal, at least the first Venom story. His following appearance in War of the Symbiotes... bleh.

I don't like his other media appearances though. Outside Spectacular, I don't find him that compelling so far in movies or television. Personally, I kinda liked Topher Grace in 3, but the character was really rushed. Had 3 been divided into two films as planned at one point, he would've been much better.

I would like other villains to be done before Venom gets reused again. Kraven, Mysterio, Scorpion, and Black Cat especially should come first. They're the only "big" names off the top of my head that could carry a movie alone. I'd also like Rhino to be redone after the atrocity in Amazing Spider-Man 2 before Venom too.

However, as I said, all depends on how you do him.

If curious Cy, these are my personal favorites:

1. Kraven the Hunter
2. Doctor Octopus
3. Kingpin
4. Green Goblin
5. Lizard
6. Mysterio
7. Scorpion
8. Venom
9. Electro
10. Sandman

Last edited by GoldMutant; 06-19-2017 at 07:41 PM.
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #98
sdp
-

http://io9.gizmodo.com/sonys-spider-...and-1796297310

Carnage in Vernon movie, Peter in Sony MCU , avenger in Homecoming 2 oh my!
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #99
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Solo movies for Kraven and Mysterio too
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #100
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Solo movies for Kraven and Mysterio too
Not as bad as the Aunt May prequel.

But seriously. Sony needs to go to film studio rehab.

Tags
i love pg-13, sony lucks out