The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 02-22-2023, 11:10 AM   #21
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I know what you mean, but...

Are these things gonna retail for between $13-15?
Probably, or maybe even more. I mentioned $10 but yeah, nothing is $10 anymore, not even MOTU Origins that has tons of reuse. I'm assuming these will get a pretty wide release though so I'm optimistic for sales. I'll still likely grab the turtles for $13-$15 though if I find them in the toy aisle.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:25 AM   #22
Roseangelo
Emperor

Why is the default defense for this crap, "It's for kids! It's not meant for 40yos!"

No sh-, Sherlock. But you can still make toys/movies for kids that aren't fugly as hell.

AND, what kids do they think this is actually going to appeal to? The age they are appealing to would only know anything about Turtles if their parents were into it. And if they're watching what their parents like, they aren't going to like this.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:27 AM   #23
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Just noticed the skin palettes on the Turtles... Leo, Raph, and Donny (to a slightly less extent) look the same shade of neon green, then Mikey is way different with that turquoise tint seen in many of his early Playmates figures. Why go for different skin tones if only one of the turtles will be noticeably different?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:36 AM   #24
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
Why is the default defense for this crap, "It's for kids! It's not meant for 40yos!"

No sh-, Sherlock. But you can still make toys/movies for kids that aren't fugly as hell.

AND, what kids do they think this is actually going to appeal to? The age they are appealing to would only know anything about Turtles if their parents were into it. And if they're watching what their parents like, they aren't going to like this.
Why is the default to be angry about children's figures?

No one said kids deserve to be spoon-fed crap, but why on earth would I actually be upset about a child buying an arguably crappy figure? Besides, I don't even think they look that bad for what they are - children's play things that are meant to be taken in the bath, thrown down the slide, and stuck in your nose.

I mean, yeah, the default is also "Playmates makes lame figures" and has lame business practices, but that's a given.

I guess I find the constant uproar about this film to be a little sad and exhausting. Are some of you guys going to go super saiyan every step of the way? I think it would help to get your expectations in check and assume this isn't something for you.

That's not to be confused with "Who cares if this sucks, it's for kids, right?". It's just that we don't need to hop in the play-place at Mcdonalds and complain that the balls are sticky.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:43 AM   #25
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Why is the default response from those 40 year olds to figures like this "they don't look how I WANT them to look!!!!"? You've had 30+ years to buy figures that look like your comics, movies, shows, etc. Maybe it's time for some fresh takes? If you don't like them then just buy something from one of the other myriad lines. Yeesh.

Disclaimer: I will be 40 this summer and am very excited to check these out.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:55 AM   #26
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

welp at least NECA won't touch these with a 10 foot poll
Old 02-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #27
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Heh, no April figure in the line?

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 02-22-2023 at 12:03 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:10 PM   #28
Bran The Man
Thug

WOW!!!! Whoever got these shots was able to get REALLY close because these are some good pictures!

Leonardo (although I wish they had given him better eyes) and Donatello look COOL! It's like Raph, Mikey and Don's expressions fit their personalities, but Leo looks sleepy.

If I saw these in the store, I'd buy them. Well... the Turtles at least. I'm kinda looking forward to the movie now. I'm hoping it's more TMNT 2007 than BayTurtles.

EDIT: I'm also glad we have painted weapons again. Normally Playmates skimps on that kind of stuff. And is "Superfly" supposed to be Baxter Stockman?

Last edited by Bran The Man; 02-22-2023 at 12:36 PM.
Bran The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:12 PM   #29
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

They turned out pretty much how I expected. Still have no intention in seeing this movie.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:22 PM   #30
Teddygaming reviews
Hench Mutant

I think the designs looked as I good as I thought they would look. Some of them do look very interesting and fun. My only negative comments would be rocksteady body, looks very wired. I also think the faces on the turtles look like faces that you would see on a cake or is that just me?
Old 02-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran The Man View Post
And is "Superfly" supposed to be Baxter Stockman?
I wonder. Did the pendulum actually swing back around on Baxter Stockman being black? Meaning, did it become re-problematic to have Baxter as a black man, and making him a white guy again might have been seen as transgressive/regressive so they felt they had no choice but to make a new character?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:50 PM   #32
Robogeek1973
Thug

Sadly these are not of any interest to me.
Robogeek1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 12:54 PM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, let's get through these:
  • The toys of the Turtles themselves, oddly enough, look better than the art. Still have many of the unappealing elements though.
  • Bebop looks like the PD version of Bebop and I don't really get the "Wow" tattoo.
  • I don't like that FW Leatherhead was used as the template for this and I really don't like the skinny arms and other janky proportions, he really should look much better than this. I'm fine with Bebop and Rocksteady looking ugly and absurd because I don't take them or their place in the franchise seriously, but Leatherhead should be treated with more respect.
  • I hope "Superfly" isn't Baxter Stockman, if he is, then at least he looks cooler than all the other depictions of him as a fly monster and is quite possibly best design among these toys. I'd still prefer him to either just be a human or a cyborg, personal bias.
  • I get what they're going for with Rocksteady, trying to give him a somewhat realistic rhino head, but he looks like he'd want to kill himself because of the constant agony.
  • This far from the ugliest Splinter design ever (Rise and PD are quite notorious, with Chris Allan's depiction being the one I personally feel disgust towards), and if he's shorter than the Turtles or at least average human adults, then (arguably) the core idea is kept more intact than in the 2012 show. However, I don't really get why he's wearing glasses, a T-shirt and slacks, it looks... Like really unfitting attire.
  • I'm not sure why April and the Rat King aren't among these, we already know they will be in the movie. April admittedly does not like she'd make for a toy kids would want but surely the Rat King can't? Right?
  • Finally, I get that they're homaging the original toyline with the full orange and grey accessories... But once again, why is that worth homaging? Like seriously, why would you do that?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:03 PM   #34
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
Why is the default response from those 40 year olds to figures like this "they don't look how I WANT them to look!!!!"? You've had 30+ years to buy figures that look like your comics, movies, shows, etc. Maybe it's time for some fresh takes? If you don't like them then just buy something from one of the other myriad lines. Yeesh.
Where did I say anything about what I want? Where did I express ANGER (per the other comment)? I just think they're ugly. I just want there to be a good, successful TMNT movie. I don't care if it doesn't appeal to me.

Why the F- am I not allowed to have my opinion but everyone else can? This is what I'm angry about moreso than anything else.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:10 PM   #35
Sumac
Banned

Most of those interpretations are ugly as ****.
Turtles are passable, but still look even more cartoony and stupid than FW Toon toy versions. Rocksteady and Leatherhead look like deformed weirdos, Bebop lost his mohawk for...pink wig (what?) and what the **** is a Superflyguy?!

Poor Splinter looks like one of the Rocker Mice From Mars...mouse.

I get it not all designs for everyone, but those are just feel very uninspired and boring.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:18 PM   #36
beardcore84
Foot Soldier

Today's headline: Cartoon characters look like... CARTOON CHARACTERS!!!

Get over it.
beardcore84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:19 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Where did I say anything about what I want? Where did I express ANGER (per the other comment)? I just think they're ugly. I just want there to be a good, successful TMNT movie. I don't care if it doesn't appeal to me.

Why the F- am I not allowed to have my opinion but everyone else can? This is what I'm angry about moreso than anything else.
Stop buying this:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:20 PM   #38
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Maybe it's time for some fresh takes?
Fresh takes, huh? You mean like this?

Or this?

Or THIS?

Or Heaven-forbid THIS????

The next generation deserves better, don’t you think?

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 02-22-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 01:48 PM   #39
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Maybe it's time for some fresh takes?
we already got "fresh takes" on the turtles they were Bayturtles and Rise and both of those nearly doomed the TMNT franchise as a whole
Old 02-22-2023, 01:50 PM   #40
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
Fresh takes, huh? You mean like this?

https://assets.nst.com.my/images/art...1590573387.jpg

Or this?

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...ign_Banner.jpg

The next generation deserves better, don’t you think?
I actually thought roar was fairly entertaining, you just have to view it as a parody.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote