The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-12-2016, 10:56 PM   #61
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
You obviously don't pay attention to the art very well in context with reading it... it's obvious which one is whigh almost all the time.
You obviously don't know me or my reading comprehension very well.

Quote:
But if you like the multiple colors, more power to you. The powersecond that be obviously think people are too stupid to tell them apart or they would have kept them all wearing red.
There are other reasons, too. The original comics were in black and white, so the mask colors didn't affect the experience very much. In a color cartoon, more variety of colors is generally a better experience, even if not needed. So, lowest common denominator aside, there are very legit reasons to continue the multi colors, not the least of which is that the colors have solidified themselves as what we expect to see and how we imagine them. Also, the color change doesn't really harm anything.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #62
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
You obviously don't pay attention to the art very well in context with reading it... it's obvious which one is whigh almost all the time.

But if you like the multiple colors, more power to you. The powersecond that be obviously think people are too stupid to tell them apart or they would have kept them all wearing red.
Here are a couple random Mirage comic book pages:

If not for the name dropping, I honestly would not be able to tell who is who.

And I'm really not liking your elitist attitude(implying people are idiots and such just because they honestly can't tell them apart instantly unlike you somehow or just don't care about red bandanas).

Last edited by TurtleGuy; 09-13-2016 at 12:08 AM.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #63
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post

http://www.miragelicensing.com/comic.../leo/leo04.gif

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads...2_19_super.jpg

And I'm really not liking your elitist attitude(implying people are idiots and such just because they honestly can't tell them apart instantly unlike you somehow or just don't care about red bandanas).
Oh. So basically: "If not for all the blatant clues on the page in front of me, how could I possibly tell who's who? Pffffft. This is dumb."

And my challenge way back about, "show me panels where we can't tell who is who" of Mirage B&W TMNT still hasn't really yielded dividends. Just a bunch of folk talking about how difficult it is to tell them apart if they're red-bandannaed who don't... spend a lot of time actually looking at anything where they'd actually ever have to try, even hypothetically. But still wanting to play that card, regardless.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:54 PM   #64
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh. So basically: "If not for all the blatant clues on the page in front of me, how could I possibly tell who's who? Pffffft. This is dumb."

And my challenge way back about, "show me panels where we can't tell who is who" of Mirage B&W TMNT still hasn't really yielded dividends. Just a bunch of folk talking about how difficult it is to tell them apart if they're red-bandannaed who don't... spend a lot of time actually looking at anything where they'd actually ever have to try, even hypothetically. But still wanting to play that card, regardless.
There's an old saying that I think applies to this discussion:

"There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle."
Old 09-13-2016, 02:39 AM   #65
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

Andrew... The second image is the conclusion of a fist fight between Leo and Raph during which they wrestle around for a bit, the name drop is literally the only clue for who won. While we know which ones are Raph and Leo in the first one, we don't know who's who of Mike and Don until the next issue.

Yes it's true that there are always some context clues but you can't really argue that it's good character design to make four characters look exactly the same, it's usually only done if the creator wants the audience to be uncertain.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #66
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleGuy View Post

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6-BqPJlZRw...Bis%2Bhurt.jpg

http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads...2_19_super.jpg

And I don't much care for your lack of skills in reading. Taking two panels from a comic pulls it from context and negates what I said about reading and seeing the images in context. Lazy. Read more comics. I have zero issue telling them apart while I'm reading. Colored bandanas is lazy. And frankly, with their designs being so different today, there's absolutely no reason to keep their colors. Do like the 2k3 series did and make the wraps on the weapons color coded if you must... stupifying of the Turtles for your lack of brains is well, stupid.

Last edited by mrmaczaps; 09-13-2016 at 05:14 PM.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #67
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, all the modern stuff gives them different designs/heights/skin.

Tell me you don't know who's who in this?

Those examples are crap, too TurtleGuy. The one from the Leo ish: Leo is obvious and Raph is the one with no mask (which is obvious if you actually read the book). The other two aren't talking so it dosen't matter. On top of that, it's in black and white anyways! So pretend they're in rainbow gear if you want.

The only example I've ever found where you really can't tell who is who is Tales v.1 #1, but only at the beginning.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 09-13-2016 at 10:42 AM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #68
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/...1ecec8dc_o.png

Those examples are crap, too TurtleGuy. The one from the Leo ish: Leo is obvious and Raph is the one with no mask (which is obvious if you actually read the book). The other two aren't talking so it dosen't matter. On top of that, it's in black and white anyways! So pretend they're in rainbow gear if you want.

The only example I've ever found where you really can't tell who is who is Tales v.1 #1, but only at the beginning.

That scene from the film looks great with them all in red!
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #69
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
And I don't much care for your pack of skills in reading. Taking two panels from a comic pulls it from context and negates what I said about reading and seeing the images in context. Lazy. Read more comics. I have zero issue telling them apart while I'm reading.
Well, it's all well and good if you can tell them apart easily, but for those of us who have to work to do it, it saps a lot of fun out of it. And I must say that I'm starting to get offended as being dismissed as being lazy or an idiot for not being able to tell them apart effortlessly. Look, I'm not an idiot, can easily read at college level, and read comics. I have read some of the original TMNT stuff, and you know what? It is a pain in the butt to tell them apart when no weapon is visible and they're not addressed by name.

Quote:
Colored bandanas is lazy.
To be frankly honest, excusing practical reasons, they look awesome like that (IMHO), far more so than the uniformity of the masks. (I'm sorry to have to say this, but I always thought the original designs and color choices were kind of ugly and that the red masks were a part of it.)

Quote:
And frankly, with their designs being so different today, there's absolutely no reason to keep their colors.
Besides the fact that the colored masks have replaced the all reds ones as the default look and are as associated with the characters as their trademark weapons? I think the question is: "Why should they go back to red, when the only reason seems to be 'because that's how Mirage did it'?"

Quote:
Do like the 2k3 series did and make the wraps on the weapons color coded if you must... stupifying of the Turtles for your lack of brains is well, stupid.
To be honest, I don't like the colored wraps very much. A quirk of mine. And it's hardly stupid to prefer one design over the other. In my case, I think the multicolors are superior because of the design reasons, while the fact that it further differentiates the characters on a visual level is a perk.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
Besides the fact that the colored masks have replaced the all reds ones as the default look and are as associated with the characters as their trademark weapons? I think the question is: "Why should they go back to red, when the only reason seems to be 'because that's how Mirage did it'?"
You're right. It's only the source material.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #71
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/...1ecec8dc_o.png

Except I haven't read the book. I'm speaking from a casual point of view.

Forget it... I'm just gonna be made to look like an idiot, anyway... I'm honestly starting to think I AM one.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #72
ToTheNines
[sic]

Not trying to be mean, but the context of the story is all that matters, ya know?

Another anti-rainbow point: look at the million times we had bandana errors in Fred Wolf and Archie, even a couple in 4kids & IDW. Kinda defeats the purpose of "telling everyone apart" if the production team can't even get it right, no?
Old 09-13-2016, 01:03 PM   #73
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Not trying to be mean, but the context of the story is all that matters, ya know?

Another anti-rainbow point: look at the million times we had bandana errors in Fred Wolf and Archie, even a couple in 4kids & IDW. Kinda defeats the purpose of "telling everyone apart" if the production team can't even get it right, no?
In IDW!?!?!?!

WHERE!!!!????
Old 09-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #74
ToTheNines
[sic]

Been a long time. Once or twice in Infestation, and once in either #6 or #7.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #75
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Been a long time. Once or twice in Infestation, and once in either #6 or #7.
I'll have to check #6 and #7.

I thought you were talking about the first five issues where all four Turtles have red masks. Surprised they never caught that...
Old 09-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #76
ToTheNines
[sic]

Yeah, they had some hack editing it before Bobby lol.

It was definitely #6, now that I'm thinking harder.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #77
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yeah, they had some hack editing it before Bobby lol.

It was definitely #6, now that I'm thinking harder.
I just reviewed both 6 and 7. Didn't see a thing.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #78
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Actually I don't believe Raph even had one then. He had been on his own for over a year and I think he was maskless the whole time. The others only wore red in honor/memory of their brother. And honestly that is the ONLY reason I can think of for any of them ever going back to all one color. It could justvas easily be all blue. Or purple or.... This debate has been going on since before I even joined. So far the only argument for all red seems to be "because Mirage", and that it is more "ninja-esque" when in fact that fact has been refuted. Do we REALLY need a uniform color? What purpose does it actually serve when ninjas never had clan colors? As for having all one color in a BLACK AND WHITE comic- well that's kind of a moot point now, ain't it? The masks are COLORLESS!!! The entire logic on that one is pretty ridiculous. On both sides I might add. Only when the pages are colored would it even matter what color they are SUPPOSED to be. Otherwise, it's pointless.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #79
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I just reviewed both 6 and 7. Didn't see a thing.
God damnit cylons.

*walks down to basement*

#6 page 5, top panel. On the right you'll see a Leo/Raph switcheroo.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #80
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
God damnit cylons.

*walks down to basement*

#6 page 5, top panel. On the right you'll see a Leo/Raph switcheroo.
WOW. I really had to squint on that, but you're right.

How the FRAK did you ever see that in the first place?

Tags
sharkbladeweirdness, whatcolorareyournostrils?