The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #21
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Has anyone checked this out? Is it any good? It looks like it has "BOMB" written all over it, to me. It seems a little bit telling that variations of the same damn trailer is playing every time I go to the theater, 80% of it talking about how great the crew is, how diverse the cast is, and how wonderful the director is and only about 20% featuring the actual movie... as if they're trying to manufacture another "important" movie.
Oh great, another SJW movie. sigh. I don't remember Oprah being able to act.

When I saw the preview for this, I wasn't even sure what the movie was about. just alot of fancy CGI images across the screen.

Visually I guess it looks interesting, but it obviously didn't grab my attention.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

No one tell him the book came out in 1962, or that Oprah's been nominated for an Oscar.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #23
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Big L Literature is basically works of fiction deemed to have a higher level of importance by...I don't know, people who have strong opinions about such things. It usually consists of the works of dead white guys. So stuff like Shakespeare, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Kafka...etc.
I remember reading The Old Man and the Sea when I was in 8th grade or something once. It wasn't a school reading, so I picked it out of free will since my mom kept telling me I should read books. Wasn't a fan of it. Dunno if it's because I was too young to understand it yet or because I genuinely didn't like it.

Kafka? Der Prozess was good. Shame it's unfinished. But good nonetheless. Die Verwandlung, though? Didn't care much for it. It was an easy read, though.

Never read Shakespeare or Steinbeck, so I can't really comment on their work.

Did you read 1984 or Fahrenheit 451? I loved both, especially 1984. Again, not for school. I was already in my 20s when I read both. I read 1984 in a day basically. I took eating and bathroom breaks, obviously. Fahrenheit took me like 3-4 hours to read or so. Was an easy book to read all the way through.

PS: What's the big deal about them being "dead white guys"?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #25
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
probably SJW code for something. Triggering attempt #456?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #26
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

- Thread about A Wrinkle In Time
- Turns into discussion on classic literature.

That being said, I think Beowulf was my favorite classroom read, though it's not even slightly 19th-20th century literature.

I think a big part of it was that we got to do a big project on it, and I chose to make my project a comic from the perspective of Grendel's Mother. It was fun.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #27
plastroncafe

I made the mistake of reading A Brave New World and 1984 in the same summer, I spent the next few months being more paranoid than I think I've ever been in my life

I think the only thing that could have made it worse as if I had read V for Vendetta around the same time, but thankfully I didn't stumble upon that one until way later.

Quote:
I
I don't mean it as a disparagement, but more a statement of fact. That routinely Works done by white men are considered as having more clout as Big L literature, then works by people who aren't white men. I mean people have gone out of their way to create an entirely new term just a separate their works of fiction from genre fiction. ie: magical realism vs fantasy.

The fact that they're dead speaks more to the publication date of the material itself.

That maybe our curriculum could have used a bit of freshening up. Now bear in mind it has been a long-ass time since I was in high school, so it's possible that freshening up has already occurred.

But we may want to move a conversation about the reception of certain authors and literature to another thread, it looks like there's a snowflake getting his dander up.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #28
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
A lousy attempt to dismiss importance of those works, because of skin color of their authors.
In another words, casual racism born out of "white guilt", which is hilariously stupid idea.

Quote:
I made the mistake of reading A Brave New World and 1984 in the same summer, I spent the next few months being more paranoid than I think I've ever been in my life
Why I am not surprised.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #29
plastroncafe

See?
Triggered.

So, how about that wrinkle in time movie?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2018, 06:46 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

I think the only thing that could have made it worse as if I had read V for Vendetta around the same time, but thankfully I didn't stumble upon that one until way later.

I don't mean it as a disparagement, but more a statement of fact. That routinely Works done by white men are considered as having more clout as Big L literature, then works by people who aren't white men. I mean people have gone out of their way to create an entirely new term just a separate their works of fiction from genre fiction. ie: magical realism vs fantasy.

The fact that they're dead speaks more to the publication date of the material itself.

That maybe our curriculum could have used a bit of freshening up. Now bear in mind it has been a long-ass time since I was in high school, so it's possible that freshening up has already occurred.

But we may want to move a conversation about the reception of certain authors and literature to another thread, it looks like there's a snowflake getting his dander up.
I mean we live in the West. Ofc we're gonna place more importance into works written by Europeans and people of Western nations in general. Plus, don't blame those countries for being the most advanced ones for science and education at the time those works were published overall.

And it's not just "works by dead white men" that get credit. See The Art of War by Sun Tzu, for example. I'm sure if you signed up for Japanese or Chinese literature classes you'd be given a list of Asian authors to read as well, and I'm sure people from those countries read works by their fellow countrymen. Just like I was reading Portuguese authors in school instead of guys like Steinbeck and Dickens like you were. I don't really know what's hard to get about this, tbh.

So, you wanted to trigger people? Isn't that basically a trolling attempt?

As for the movie, meh not really interested.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #31
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:

I'd report it if anything would get done. but, cube is still around insulting people, so why bother?

Old 03-10-2018, 06:53 PM   #32
plastroncafe

Fret not, I don't blame those countries for being the most advanced in either science or literature, mostly because I don't think either of those things are true.

And I was neither trolling, nor going out of my way to trigger.
Though it appears that I have, and so I apologize.
As someone who copes daily with post-traumatic stress disorder, and the disarray that such a thing can have on someone's life, I would never willingly trip another person's trigger.

These things aren't laughing matters.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #33
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
See?
Triggered.
Mediocricity thy name.

Or rather cheap troll.

Quote:
Isn't she always?
It's like the only thing she does here - bait people with concern trolling and then surprised why people don't like her or don't take her and lefties seriously, lol.

Quote:
Fret not, I don't blame those countries for being the most advanced in either science or literature, mostly because I don't think either of those things are true.
"They were not worthless, except they were".

Now we go into stage where person drunk on the left kool-aid starts shouting that all works by white people were stolen from people of other ethnicities and white people have never produced anything of the worth.
Cue "white guilt".
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:05 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

And I was neither trolling, nor going out of my way to trigger.
Though it appears that I have, and so I apologize.
As someone who copes daily with post-traumatic stress disorder, and the disarray that such a thing can have on someone's life, I would never willingly trip another person's trigger.

These things aren't laughing matters.
I can't speak for the rest, but I wouldn't say I'm triggered or angry. I just wanted to know what point you were making.

Well, I mean by the time guys such as Hemingway, Kafka and Steinbeck were alive it's obvious Europe and USA were bounds and leaps above Africa overall in many aspects.

History is cyclical. At one point it was Central/South America that had more advanced societies than North America. Just like historically it's the Mediterranean/Southern portion of Europe that has been dominant culturally and politically speaking but nowadays It's Germany, Holland the UK and Northern Europe that are the richest countries in the continent.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
No one tell him the book came out in 1962
I'm not qualified to venture an opinion as I haven't seen it, but apparently it bares little resemblance to the book?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:03 AM   #36
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm not qualified to venture an opinion as I haven't seen it, but apparently it bares little resemblance to the book?
I'm not sure if it barely resembles the book, because I haven't seen it either or read said book, but I've read a couple reviews and it sounds like some things changed, yeah, and not for the better.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 PM   #37
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

According to the director (who will next direct WB's "New Gods") the movie got all the bad reviews because of racism.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/28273...uz-joseph-curl
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #38
Vegita-San
Emperor

of course it did...

smh.

when will they realize the SJW defense doesn't work as well as it used to even a year ago? People are catching on now.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:15 PM   #39
plastroncafe

Finally finished the book a few days ago, and yeah...I totally missed the atmospheric re-entry point for this book, by like a lot.

It does some cool stuff, but in addition to just being well past the age at which it would have the most impact, I also found it really dated.

I'm still looking forward to the movie, and I think I would recommend the book to a kid, but I'm pretty much all set without having read the rest of the series.

But yeah, if you're turned off by the so-called SJW nature of the movie, then you may want to steer clear of the book as well.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #40
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I saw this last week and it was just okay. The talents of most of the actors were kind of wasted and it was hard for me to get behind and root the main characters. I hadn't read the book before, but I heard it was much better than the movie. I might buy it this summer.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote