The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 07-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Playmates "Elite Series" (Mirage styled Classics mold)

I thought these molds were amazing for their time, and still the best thing Playmates has ever done.

However, I don't know that taking the cartoon-style bodies and giving them the Mirage paint treatment makes sense. Feels unneeded.

Don: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131183
Mike: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131191
Raph: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131187
Leo: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131190
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

Yup. First thing I thought was, "those are the classic collection molds!"

Nice try, but an easy pass.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:41 AM   #3
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

No playmates just no. Stop trying to cater to adult collectors. You fail everytime
Old 07-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
Raleldor
Mouser

I saw this pop up in my email. I took a look.. Hmm.. Playmates going after the adult collector... wait.. these seem oddly familiar.. grab one of my older classic collection 6 cartoon turtle... yeah... it's very very similar, and this figure sucks. (foot easily falls off, paint looks bad)

We get spoiled by the "$25" NECA line here for sure, at what paint apps could look like at $25, and this just doesn't compare at all.

I see Playmates is trying... but this is minimal effort here. If they had rereleased some from the 2003 line, I think people would have been much more happy.
Raleldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #5
5523Rich
Random Punk

The unproduced Playmates from years ago look so much better.
Not digging these.
5523Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Meh...as far as Playmates standards are concerned....not bad

I personally wouldn't waste my money (nor do I want to give them any business) as I have the original NECA ones. If you would like some Mirage NECA figures for display and don't want to shell (hehe) out hundreds for them, the bootlegs were reviewed a few years ago and looked very good.
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

LOL

Idiots.
Very easy pass. Maybe on the clearance heap some day, IDK.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:18 AM   #8
j3h
Hench Mutant

Full release info from Toyark:

Solicitations have gone out for a new Previews Exclusive assortment of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Figures by Playmates Toys. They are producing Mirage Comics inspired TMNT Elite Series 6″ Scale Figures. These look to be updated versions of their TMNT Classics, which were originally introduced back in 2012. The assortment includes Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael in comic inspired paint decos, and with their own weapons. The figures are due in December, and will be priced at $25 each. See details below, and photos after the jump.

A PREVIEWS Exclusive. Cowabunga Dudes! Busting out from the classic colored comics by Eastman and Laird come the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Elite Series action figures from Playmates! Featuring 34 Points of articulation, each figure is outfitted in their original red bandana and comes with personal weapon accessories. With a personalized sewer lid base and collectible window box package with iconic graphics and logo, fans can relive the fun and excitement of the classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with these PREVIEWS Exclusive figures! Collect Michelangelo, Leonardo, Raphael, and Donatello.
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleldor View Post
We get spoiled by the "$25" NECA line here for sure, at what paint apps could look like at $25, and this just doesn't compare at all.
NECA kills it on paint apps. These figures actually have better articulation than the stuff NECA does, though. Not that I'd pick these over NECA, mind you.

Still can't believe how many figures NECA has used that terrible "linked hips" design on, lol.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
I thought these molds were amazing for their time, and still the best thing Playmates has ever done.

However, I don't know that taking the cartoon-style bodies and giving them the Mirage paint treatment makes sense. Feels unneeded.

Don: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131183
Mike: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131191
Raph: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131187
Leo: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Produ...Details/131190
Those Playmates 'animated' figures were Playmates attempt at doing what Super 7 is now doing as an updated homage to Playmates figures.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

That's pretty funny. Doubly so as I just a couple weeks ago finally picked up the regular versions of these figures from a few years ago, as I found a great deal on them Loose Complete for cheap.

I actually dig them quite a bit and haven't had any problems with mine. But this seems so, so, SO lazy. Can't even give 'em different belts? C'mon.

They're honestly not terrible from the "We want to get close to the spirit of Mirage without actually... y'know, trying, or spending any money on it" and just using the parts they've got lying around, but still. If all a person wanted was some cheap "Red Mask" Turtles, you could do worse. But the sculpts and everything are all wrong for Mirage, which makes it a pretty insulting attempt for anyone of discerning taste.
-------------

I actually see the "authentic" Mirage figures from a few years ago pop up loose at flea markets occasionally for cheap, but I never buy them because they don't have their weapons. I'm guessing quite a few people got them for their kids while the Nick show was on the air and then the kids got bored with 'em once they grew out of TMNT. But I've seen 'em for like $10 each loose floating around, if a person had their own weapons for them or just didn't give a sh*t.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 AM   #12
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Honestly, these don't look that bad. They somehow have a Dooney feeling. With a little custom paint application they can easily turn more Miragey.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Putting in the absolutely minimum effort? Yup, it's Playmates.

If they gave us something exciting and new, I'd be supporting both vocally and with my dollars. When the Classic series came out, I bought them and loved them. Great for their time. But these are blatant, lazy reissues.

Reissues would be tolerable if they were releasing new stuff as well. But with both these and those rotohead turtles they just released... they are telling us they are just going to serve up repacks and have no interest in doing anything new.

Playmates needs to lose the license. And with that being the case, I hope nobody buys these.

The HOPE is that Playmates loses the license before the next big TMNT show or movie hits. Let Spin Master or some other company do kid toys, and let NECA and other companies handle the adult collector side. With the license less tied-down, NECA could improve the distribution and we wouldn't have such a hard time getting them as walmart/target exclusives.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Browne762
Foot Soldier

$15 maybe, but I cant believe they are $25. Easy pass. If this is what their plan for that "Classic" line is going to start with I am not looking forward to the next items.
Browne762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #15
wpugh2424
Mad Scientist

these are awful and are just the same as the classic collection release or whatever that was, pathetic

they should be ashamed of themselves
Old 07-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #16
Ninjinister
無問題

The thing is, although most people will think of like... "issue 1 turtles" as being Mirage turtles, since they had many different artists and even E&L's looks for them evolved as time goes on, there are so many different looks to choose from.

And these ain't any of them, at all.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

I said it in another thread but I'd be curious to hear the financial stats of this company. With the competition they are now facing, it can't be good,

These are awful. I'm desperate for Mirage figures, but not a chance. Cool box, I guess.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I said it in another thread but I'd be curious to hear the financial stats of this company. With the competition they are now facing, it can't be good,

These are awful. I'm desperate for Mirage figures, but not a chance. Cool box, I guess.
I mean, since Playmates owns the master license to TMNT toys, and sub-license to NECA and Super7, don't they get a kickback or something?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #19
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I mean, since Playmates owns the master license to TMNT toys, and sub-license to NECA and Super7, don't they get a kickback or something?
If that's really how it works then that's highly disappointing... as I think Playmates is very poorly operated and knowing that through buying NECA/Super7 figures you are propping up Playmates sends a shiver down my spine
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #20
CyberCubed
Overlord

Man, Playmates has really sunk to a new low. What an absolute disgrace. Just color the same toys from 10+ years ago slightly different and repackage for $25. And they have the nerve to pull it in this economy in the midst of Covid-19? Degrading, appalling, offensive, and a abhorrent.

I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote