The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 03-12-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Excalibur: Before & After Authur

This thread comes from my curiosity. We all know that Authur pulled thevsword out of the boulder it was stuck in thus becomes king of an English territory and we know he is the only king of his line as he and his failed usurper of a nephew kill each other in combat. My question though,as the title suggest, how did the sword get placed in the stone/boulder in the first place and after Aurthur's untimely assassination what became of Excalibur?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Well, the Arthurian legends are a collection of many stories that often contradicts each other. Sometimes the Sword in the Stone and Excalibur is the same sword, and some times it's not.

But the more common versions, the sword is returned to the Lady in the Lake, who was the one giving Arthur Exalibur. Arthur's dying wish is for Sir Griflet or Sir Bedivere depending on the version, to throw the sword back into the lake. When the Knight does so a hand breaks the water and catches the sword.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #3
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Well, the Arthurian legends are a collection of many stories that often contradicts each other. Sometimes the Sword in the Stone and Excalibur is the same sword, and some times it's not.

But the more common versions, the sword is returned to the Lady in the Lake, who was the one giving Arthur Exalibur. Arthur's dying wish is for Sir Griflet or Sir Bedivere depending on the version, to throw the sword back into the lake. When the Knight does so a hand breaks the water and catches the sword.
I know of The Lady of The Lake but never was clear on her role. So in some cases the sword stuck in the stone is not Excalibur but a generic sword and whoever pulls it out gets the prized sword. While perhaps a more streamlined approach is it being one and the same( which I prefer).

This hand you speak of, its the Lady of The Lake manifestation?

On another note aside from Lancelot and his sometimes son Galahad I did not know of any Knights of The Round Table being named.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I think it's presumed that it's the same Lady in the Lake who gave him the sword.

There's a good chunk of names listed as being a part of Arthur's court.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote