The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Your honest thoughts on Disney?

I think it's safe to say that most people around the world grow up watching Disney stuff.

As a kid, i really liked Disney, particularly Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck. Here in Europe we grew up reading Disney comics in the 80s and 90s. I've never liked the portrayals of the classic Disney characters on Tv much. The comics gave them a lot more personalities and better stories. Plus, you can't understand ANYTHING Donald says on TV . So yeah, while some Disney cartoon shorts were fun, they were more like a bonus to me. Something I'd rent from the video rental store on weekends to watch on a Saturday and Sunday morning when I was a kid. As for proper cartoon series, I really liked Ducktales when I was a kid and its tie-in animated movie.

As for the movies, well, I mostly have fond memories of the first Toy Story movie and the Goof Troop movie. Two of my childhood defining animated movies. I also watched the 101 Dalmatians and Mulan movies but don't remember them so well.

And, like I've said in the theme park thread, I visited Disneyland Paris around 1998-1999. I loved the whole theme and atmosphere of the placeand the merch my parents bought for me, including a few stuffed toys of Mickey, Goofy and Pluto. But a lot of rides were rollercoasters or some type and I was too young to be able to ride them, so my 16 year old brother had more fun on that regard at the time.

Around 2003 or so I began losing interesting in Disney. Disney comics were no longer being sold here anymore and I was already a bit too old to care about upcoming Disney movies. Also, that was when the Disney Channel became available in my country, but I didn't care about it at all. I was a Cartoon Network kid and then, as I got older, I began watching anime only for some years.

I might be missing out, but I can't say I've ever felt like watching any of the Disney animated films in the past 16 years or so. Maybe it's because since I don't have any kid relatives I never end up in a situation where I'm "forced" to watch them.

Disney comics came back here some years ago but they're not that good this time around. And this isn't just nostalgia. I can still read my 80s and 90s Disney comics written by European and Brazilian authors and still enjoy them. Not to mention the ones by American authors Dan Rosa and Carl Barks. But the modern ones seem to be lacking something. Also, every author seems to be Italian. I guess the Danes, the Germans and Brazilians no longer write Disney comics...

As for the company itself, well it's a bit shady. A bit like an "evil empire". They have a big monopoly already. I don't care about Marvel or Star Wars, so no opinion on that. I suspect most comments here will talk about that. That being said, I'd prefer if Disney did not own them. It's not good for the industry as a whole.

In conclusion, Disney gave me some good childhood memories, but as an adult I don't care about them.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

Terrible corporation that hurts it’s partners. Essentially a monopoly with no restraints. Needs to die.

I unironically love seeing Disney projects fail or receive criticism.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I was a big fan of Disney as a kid too. Didn’t care much for their animated movies (maybe because I never liked musicals) but I loved a few of Disney Afternoon cartoons such as Ducktales and Gargoyles. I thought most of them weren’t that good, though. I readAs an adult, I still like Ducktales and Gargoyles but I’m indifferent to Disney nowadays. The one Disney film I love is Wreck-It Ralph. I’m not really a fan of the MCU or Star Wars so what the company does with those franchises doesn’t bother me.

Like Prowler, Disney gave me some good childhood memories and the comics were great as well. I grew up reading Fleetway Mickey & Friends comic which I remember having a lot of great Ducktales stories.

Last edited by Wesley; 07-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Terrible corporation that hurts it’s partners. Essentially a monopoly with no restraints. Needs to die.

I unironically love seeing Disney projects fail or receive criticism.
But entertainment monopolies are toothless. Disney is a massive litigious omnivore, but hardly worthy of schadenfreude.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM   #5
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Once great, they've now become the one thing they said they weren't - a corporate hack job who only care about money, even if it means destroying their legacy

If it wasn't for Pixar, I wouldn't care at all about them
Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

As theme park attractions... love it. As entertainment, it's losing a little of its luster these past years; partly in the movie dept. that isn't being too impressive these days, but even more-so in the area of tv. Ever since they got into that trend of hiring rather annoying (and often a little odd looking) kids it kind of went down hill, and sad that Nick sort of followed them to an extent.

As a company, I dunno. I suppose if I worked for them and experienced the impact of any bad decisions I'd have more of an opinion.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:11 AM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Disney Renaissance

If it wasn't for the late-1980's Disney Renaissance, the company would probably not have been so big right now.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:33 AM   #8
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
But entertainment monopolies are toothless. Disney is a massive litigious omnivore, but hardly worthy of schadenfreude.
You seriously don’t understand the sh*t they pull with theater companies, pseudo-intellectual.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Me like big word too.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I was a big fan of Disney as a kid too. Didn’t care much for their animated movies (maybe because I never liked musicals) but I loved a few of Disney Afternoon cartoons such as Ducktales and Gargoyles. I thought most of them weren’t that good, though. I readAs an adult, I still like Ducktales and Gargoyles but I’m indifferent to Disney nowadays. The one Disney film I love is Wreck-It Ralph. I’m not really a fan of the MCU or Star Wars so what the company does with those franchises doesn’t bother me.

Like Prowler, Disney gave me some good childhood memories and the comics were great as well. I grew up reading Fleetway Mickey & Friends comic which I remember having a lot of great Ducktales stories.
I think most Europeans who grew up in the 80s and 90s grew up reading Disney comic books.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I think most Europeans who grew up in the 80s and 90s grew up reading Disney comic books.
Not necessarily Disney comics, but comics based on their favourite franchise in genral (like Archie TMNT) because the access to television was very limited for many children in many European countries.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:12 AM   #12
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Not necessarily Disney comics, but comics based on their favourite franchise in genral (like Archie TMNT) because the access to television was very limited for many children in many European countries.
Were there that many cartoon series with their own comic series?

If you mean Marvel and DC, I don't think their comics ever sold that well in Europe. At least not here. I don't know anyone who grew up reading those. Or if they had any, they had like one or two. Meanwhile everyone had Disney comics and some Tintin, Lucky Luke and/or Astérix books. Not to mention some Garfield or Calvin & Hobbes comics as well.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #13
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
You seriously don’t understand the sh*t they pull with theater companies, pseudo-intellectual.
No idea. I'm not anti-Disney so I don't trawl the web for hit-pieces. I'm sure they squeeze nickels like all successful monoliths. And everyone has a dictionary literally one key-stroke away, so nobody has to bother dumbing down for the masses.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #14
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Were there that many cartoon series with their own comic series?
You can use the Grand Comics Database to check out

https://www.comics.org/
Old 07-20-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
The Deadman
Foot Elite

If we're talking the theme parks, I'd go every year if I could.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #16
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
No idea. I'm not anti-Disney so I don't trawl the web for hit-pieces. I'm sure they squeeze nickels like all successful monoliths. And everyone has a dictionary literally one key-stroke away, so nobody has to bother dumbing down for the masses.
I don’t either, you condescending prick. I WORK in the theater industry and know how bad they are from personal experience.

You’re sooooo smart, and totally not a formerly banned member sneaking in once again.

Seriously, leave already. Mew, Etsy, Goku, Commenter42- whichever one you are.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
True. A lot of children just had 2-3 channels back then myself included.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #18
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

A mixed bag for me in terms of what they've given us.

I love their traditional 2D animated films, the modern CG cartoon films, theme parks (even though I've never been to one), and classic animated tv shows.

However, what I don't like are the plethora of live action remakes, the many live action sitcoms of the 90s/2000s, and I am not the biggest fan of some of the IPs owned by Disney (like Star Wars and Marvel).

As a company though, I can't say because I've not extensively looked into how they operated.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

Dude, they literally force smaller theaters out of business by forcing them to run their movies way past the "expiration date"; as in, say your small town of a couple thousand people has one small theater, and after two weeks, everyone's already seen "Aladdin" three times, they're sick of it. But their "agreement" with Disney explicitly states that they HAVE to run that movie on X number of screens, three times a day for 6 to 8 weeks, or else they don't get to show the movie at all. For one thing, if the theater only has a few screens to begin with, 50-80% of them are all showing the same ONE movie. And after two weeks, the whole town's burnt out on that movie, and they CAN'T just show something else or Disney will sue them into oblivion. So NOW they're playing that movie to empty seats for over a month, making ZERO profit for themselves, while Disney keeps 80 cents on every dollar for every ticket sold. At the same time, the theaters don't even have the option to show other movies from Day One, because Disney commonly holds their films "hostage" with some variant of, "Well, if you show that ________ movie from Sony/WB/etc., you don't get Star Wars." They do it ALL the f*cking time.

So the theater owners have to deal with the very real issue of, if they don't get the Big Disney Movies that everyone wants to see - while playing entirely by Disney's "rules" the whole time - they'll lose tons of money. That screws the theater owners. Then they can't even offer their paying customers a decent variety of films, because of a limited number of screens and Disney's "You're not allowed to show 'Movie X' or no Avengers for you!" bullsh*t, which means any money they DO make is going to be very short-term, BUT they have to run these films forever or not at all, so they get screwed on the back end, too. And all of this ultimately screws over the paying customers in these more rural areas, because if their little Mom N' Pop theater doesn't get "The Lion King", they're now forced to drive to the nearest mall or chain theater, sometimes 30-60 minutes away, which they'll ultimately end up doing but they don't WANT to.

That's just off the top. And as mentioned, their percentage demand for every dollar earned and ticket sold is WAY higher than any other movie studio; I'd have to verify it, but I've read that in some cases it's as much as 80%. EIGHTY PERCENT. Eight pennies out of every goddamn dime, just because they know they can get away with it. By the way, movie theaters don't make jack sh*t on movie tickets, since most of that goes back to the studios, anyway, but MOST studios are a lot more reasonable when it comes to splitting the difference. Even the bigger theater chains have been quietly calling "Bullsh*t" on Disney for their exploitation of this practice for years, but it's absolutely death for the smaller, local joints. But long story short, the more money a studio demands per ticket sold, the more the theater has to charge for "extras" just to stay in business. So the next time you go to the movies and start bitching about $8 sodas, blame The Mouse. It's 100% their fault; they set an exorbitant "per ticket" rate, and every other studio has to raise theirs just to stay competitive, and then the theater has to nickel-and-dime the piss out of their customers just to keep the lights on. Nothing happens in a vacuum.

I won't even get into my opinions about their products, because all of that is subjective. What's NOT open to debate or opinion is that Disney is a f*cking predator shark that wants to ensure that nobody in the entire entertainment industry makes a single dollar except THEM. I don't care how big a piece of anyone's childhood they are or how masterful they are at banking on peoples' nostalgia; they're a ruthless conglomerate that owns almost 3/4 of every single thing people are able to watch, read, or listen to, and globally they're guilty of everything from price-fixing to literal slave labor. These aren't opinions, they're facts, and "Everyone else does it too, just less so" doesn't wash with me.

And don't even get me started on how their theme park employees can't even get paid enough to feed themselves; that's been ALL over the news, recently. There's "The Magic Of Disney", right there: Snow White, sleeping in her goddamn car after a 14-hour shift in 105-degree heat, wearing company-issue underpants that are crawling with goddamn lice. Fun.

Liking/defending their products is one thing. As a company, they're completely indefensible.

It has nothing to do with being "anti-Disney" or looking for "hit pieces". Facts are facts, and they don't care about nostalgia or 'Member Berries. I feel sorry for anyone who'd defend a billion-dollar corporation that engages in such anti-human business practices on a global scale, just because they make some pretty cartoons sometimes.

It does some good to read once in a while.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:09 PM   #20
snake
Disgusting

Thanks Leo, for setting things straight. My upper management has horror stories of what happened when corporate tried to take action against Disney for f*cking them over for Iron Man 3.

Can’t wait to see your smart comeback, Salk.