The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 03:44 AM   #7921
newfan
Stone Warrior

That sucks Indigo, sorry to hear, also that you had to find out on-line rather than being told.
It's sad seeing so many stores/companies going under or closing a lot of stores.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:49 AM   #7922
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Thanks. Yeah, and especially sad that the roots of this company go back to 1886. The whole thing is likely doomed sooner or later.

I feel for my managers having to tell people yesterday and this morning. It's probably a shock as, from what I heard from my direct manager, we were expecting some changes to an extent in the store early in the year (combining my team and the cashiers; rearranging part of the upstairs), but we were not at all expecting to close.

Pretty ironic really that while government talks about supposedly saving jobs, and now a tax cut that is supposed to benefit companies and, some might try to believe, us little people... this happens. Retail is ignored in the job saving heroism rhetoric and as I damn well knew, those tax cuts will just go right into the pockets of those at the top that have been making all these failing decisions yet still paying themselves millions, while cutting the rest of us out... (And lost jobs, well, then what income is there even to tax or give a cut to...)

I do worry about the likes of Amazon eating most everything else alive. If that ends up being where a lot of would-be retail workers end up someday... I was already there for a short time once a number of years ago and, while it may be great on the customer side, it is not a place you want to be as a worker. Even their corporate offices are supposedly a terrible, soul killing environment. Anyone who can work for Amazon long term and not end up emotionally dead inside deserves a medal.

edit: Local article mentioned that my store has been there since 1963...

1/6 - These temperatures we've been having for WAY too long need to frigging stop. I'd say these temps should go to hell, but then hell will just freeze over! (And lord knows what would happen then, given all the things that are said wouldn't happen until it did freeze over... lol)

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-06-2018 at 01:18 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #7923
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

I thought I left the playground behind about 25 years ago ;o).

sigh...children everywhere.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #7924
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
I thought I left the playground behind about 25 years ago ;o).

sigh...children everywhere.
You almost sound like you have a problem interacting with people, both online and offline.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:48 PM   #7925
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

All these fanfic ideas and not a clue of where to put them and no idea how to make them work together...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 PM   #7926
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Ah, I know the feeling. I get so many ideas and often don't know what to do with them.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 PM   #7927
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

And now I HAVE the ideas but I'm not sure how to fit them all together! Or at least better ideas than I had the last time.
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #7928
Katie
The Anti-Girl

Being told during my work review that I need to “soften my opinions”. Now, mind you, part of my job is making credit decisions which I regularly have to debate and defend to credit officers and reviewers. But no, they weren’t talking about that. They were talking about me saying something in a casual conversation. As in my political views are different than the VAST majority of people where I live.

What was relayed to me as an “example” of my hard opinions was when I got frustrated at my cube-mate for some very racist things he was saying. “People infringing on my European privledge”. I sh!t you not. At work.

I told him I didn’t care to hear such things because even though I look white, I’m not. I’m biracial. I was not mean or agressive and I said it in as even s tone as I could. Now I am a “snowflake” and “Pocahontas”.

And when I take it to my boss....I need to soften my opinions. And Cube-mate continues his nasty remarks everyday.

Good times.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM   #7929
CyberCubed
Overlord

Welcome to Trumps America.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #7930
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

That sucks something fierce.

Is there an HR you can go to, Katie?
Because that's one hell of a hostile work environment.

Keep a tally of what's said. Write it down. Document the ever living crap out of that.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #7931
Katie
The Anti-Girl

There is an H R, but I’ve gone down that road on a different matter and it was basically career suicide. I was a fast up and coming “star” in the company before that. Now, stuck in career quagmire.

I’ve been looking for another job since late 2016, but there isn’t anything comparable around here and I have an aging parent that I need to stick close to. At the end of the day I am the sole income for my family. I’m kinda stuck for now.
Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM   #7932
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Well that's all KINDS of illegal, but yeah...holy crapstacks is that a terrible situation.

Well...you could start an annoyance jar?
Every time they crack something offensive drop a coin in the jar.
Then when it's full...
Spoiler:
dump it into a sock and smack them with it.
...I mean, buy yourself something nice. Or donate it somewhere in their name.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #7933
Katie
The Anti-Girl

Yeah, Fuzzy ethics in this company. EEOC my a$$.

I’d love to take that guy out. Like, if I had nothing else to lose, just punch the crap out of him. But. Gotta. Be. Soft.
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #7934
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

Well, in totally twisting the words of Teddy Roosevelt but still making them work...

Speak softly...carry a big stick
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM   #7935
Candy Kappa
Passive-Aggressive Snob

"European privelige", ew... he can take that and shove up a place the sun don't shine, and I don't mean Norway during wintertime.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM   #7936
Katie
The Anti-Girl

Heh, those comments were the topic of conversation today.

Sad thing for me is that I 100% know that when I tell people I’m from Alabama, they judge me just as if I say the things this guy does. All because that’s all anyone ever sees from here.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #7937
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The sheer irony of him whining about his poor "European privilege" yet not being reprimanded for this... I hope you find a better place to work in the near future.

That's one of my biggest worries over the fact that my store is closing come April and I'll lose my job. Not just finding something else, but finding a GOOD place in terms of the employee environment. I'm certainly not making great pay where I'm at, but the vast majority of the people are all pretty awesome so it's been a bit of a trade off. Not sure how so many ended up under one roof. Will miss it.

Last edited by IndigoErth; Yesterday at 08:07 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #7938
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Ah, I know the feeling. I get so many ideas and often don't know what to do with them.
I've got ideas.

unfortunately I don't have the art talent to do anything with them. that's the most frustrating thing of all. best I can do is imitate what other people do. But when I try something of my own, no matter how many times I Try to get get better at it, it still stays the same crap.

sigh.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote