The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 06-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #41
CyberCubed
Overlord

This episodes was great. Yeah I didn't care much for Michaelangelo's electricity powers, but I just kinda rolled with it. Bishop was hilarious, great seeing the Utrom council again, and seeing Lord Dregg finally invade Earth and Newtralizer make his grand return are great.

Looks like they really are wrapping up the main villains of this show. Dregg and Newtralizer are likely dead, and we can assume so since we probably won't see them again. Nice to see this show will be getting some proper closure

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenopokemon View Post
. Armaggon, nowhere to be found. Just great *sarcasm*.
???

Armaggon is just a bounty hunter, last we saw him fall into a pit in an alien world. If that was his last appearance, it's fine. Would have liked to see him again, but it's no big deal if he doesn't.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:48 PM   #42
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Nevermind once again Redworld96 comes to the rescue. I can watch it I love Utrom Klatu and Utrom Nicto references to The Day The Earth Stood Still and Army of Darkness
There was also an OT episode where Donatello met a family of Aliens. The husband was named Klatu, the wife was named Virada, and the sons name was Nicto.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #43
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I really hope they can do an episode wrapping up the Kraang brainwashing, but it doesn't look like it'll fit anywhere. Especially with a lot of the story beginning with them, so it should rightly end with them.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #44
Chris
Mad Scientist

Maybe we'll see the Kraang and Dimension X (maybe even the Utroms) one last time in the Bebop & Rocksteady/80s crossover arc?

I love that we seem to be touching on all the major characters this season. Most of the major players seem to be getting final appearances and at least some level of resolution and I really appreciate that.

I actually loved Mikey's brief electrical powers, it reminded me of the Mirage super hero turtles from vol 4. And the look between Leo & Karai after they questioned what Raph saw in Mona was brilliant
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #45
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I really hope they can do an episode wrapping up the Kraang brainwashing, but it doesn't look like it'll fit anywhere. Especially with a lot of the story beginning with them, so it should rightly end with them.
It's still possible I suppose. I get the feeling the Kraang will get "one last hurrah" somewhere at the end. Seems like they are making sure all the major villains have closure at least. We saw the end of Shredder and his minion mutants made peace with the Turtles or left, and now the end of Dregg and Newtralizer.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:07 PM   #46
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

Were Mikey's electric powers a reference to the Shellectro superhero character from 2003? To the best of my knowledge that was Don's alter ego, but perhaps someone with more 2k3 knowledge can correct me?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #47
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarris Vaal View Post
Were Mikey's electric powers a reference to the Shellectro superhero character from 2003? To the best of my knowledge that was Don's alter ego, but perhaps someone with more 2k3 knowledge can correct me?
Yes, Mikey was Bloboid.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #48
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Jesus dudes chill the eff out. Everyone's always pissing and moaning Mikey is usually the one who screws things up. I was just happy he wasn't given the short end of the hero stick as he does so often and sorry but I hadn't noticed the billboard until this episode.
Now I know why I stopped posting in these threads.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #49
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Just finished watching, and I have to say: these episodes were fantastic

Seeing Bishop, the EPF and the Utrom Council was really nice.

Im glad Lord Dregg got a grand send off, I presume this is his as well as Newtralizer's final episode.

I think there was some foreshadowing in this episode, when Bishop said the Kraang brainwashed Newtralizer, I'd like to see the turtles tackling the Kraang's mind control once and for all.

Mona Lisa, Sal Commander and Newtralizer were also done well, I like how this show has alot of fascinating alien races: the Utroms/Kraang, the Salamandrians, the Triceratons, and the Insectoids under Lord Dregg.

Mikey and Raph were also entertaining in this episode, although I'm glad Mikey didn't keep his electrical powers for the rest of the series. Raph's interactions with Mona Lisa were fun, my favourite was at the beginning when Mona Lisa immediately thought of Raph doing push ups as soon as she knew she was going to Earth.

Good to know that Mona Lisa is now staying on Earth and probably joining the Mutanimals.

Where were Casey and Shinigami? Casey I can understand being absent, but since this episode did touch on Leo/Karai and Donnie/April, I thought Mikey would be interacting with Shinigami instead of Renet.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

I also like to mention I think the Mona Lisa/Raph romance was handled well in this episode. It wasn't in your face or over the top like it was in past episodes, and there were far less cringe worthy aspects seeing them together. I wish they were written like this in all their appearances, it would have been more enjoyable. So I'm glad they toned it down.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #51
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

The only thing I want to know about Mikey's temporary "powers" is... if they supposedly were to burn out, why would it have presumably possibly killed him? Wouldn't it realistically just have weakened and gone away? Kind of an unnecessary detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Where were Casey and Shinigami?
It's terrible, I never even thought of them until you asked.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #52
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
The only thing I want to know about Mikey's temporary "powers" is... if they supposedly were to burn out, why would it have presumably possibly killed him? Wouldn't it realistically just have weakened and gone away? Kind of an unnecessary detail.
I presume by burning out, its referring to an overload of his powers causing him to ultimately self-destruct, just like how we saw Newtralizer exploding because of his electrical overload.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #53
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Whelp I just saw the episode and here are my thoughts

Postives-
I actually did like the electrical powers shown in this episode, hell Mikey's use of them gave me flashbacks to Infamous

While this Mikey is far from my favorite character I did like how he tried to make a heroic sacrifice, it always bothered that when it comes to cataclysmic events we mostly see Leo sacrificing himself so its nice to see Mikey trying to make the ultimate price.

Negatives-
-This episode was rushed as all hell, we get the Newtralizer returning,Bishop and the lizards interacting, the Utrom council, and Dregg's invasion in two episodes. It sounds cool on paper but my god does it make for a mess of an episode.
-The whole Raph/Mona thing is still cringe, not as cringe as season 4 but still cringe.
-So if Bishop knew there were two Salamandrions who helped fight the Kraang then why did he think it would be a good idea to attack two Salamandrions who were just talking to the turtles.
- Newtralizer is really bad in this, don't get me wrong he wasn't my favorite character and he certainly wasn't Shakespere quality but at least he had some nuance in his previous appearance. Also him taking the role of the bad guy in the first half was horrible and his corny dialogue didn't really help matters.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
-This episode was rushed as all hell, we get the Newtralizer returning,Bishop and the lizards interacting, the Utrom council, and Dregg's invasion in two episodes. It sounds cool on paper but my god does it make for a mess of an episode..
Lots of characters does not equal rushed. This isn't Dragonball Z, we don't need 10+ episodes for a story arc.

Bishop was utilized extremely well here and got a lot of focus, and the invasion being saved for part 2 meant Newtralizer got most of the first episode. The scenes with the Utrom council could have been a bit longer, but we may see them again so who knows.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #55
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Lots of characters does not equal rushed. This isn't Dragonball Z, we don't need 10+ episodes for a story arc.
No, packing too much stuff into two episodes makes it rushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Bishop was utilized extremely well here and got a lot of focus, and the invasion being saved for part 2 meant Newtralizer got most of the first episode. The scenes with the Utrom council could have been a bit longer, but we may see them again so who knows.
Yeah and the invasion was rushed as all hell. Hell even in the first half of the special we rarely see Sal interact with Newtralizer despite the latter being responsible for the former losing an eye.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #56
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

And I mean...of the two characters with mechanical eyes, that's the one we focus on how that happened? SubPrime is honestly a more important character, so his incident could have been revealed (and the Sub-Sub Prime thing. What was that???)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 AM   #57
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Yeah and the invasion was rushed as all hell. Hell even in the first half of the special we rarely see Sal interact with Newtralizer despite the latter being responsible for the former losing an eye.
They had scenes together. I don't know what you want about the invasion, I don't think we needed to see more episodes of a bunch of bugs putting humans in cocoons. The invasion went on the right length without it being bloated or too drawn out.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:18 AM   #58
Tarris Vaal
Stone Warrior

Yeah I agree the invasion itself felt about the right length of time to work with - though a brief line like 'what about the humans?' 'the EPF can handle it' would have been nice just to clarify the point there.

There's a lot of bits like that I felt - this was a fun episode that was very easy to just 'roll with' but it could have done with one or two extra lines of exposition just scattered about to clear a few things up. On repeat viewing the thinly veiled plot holes start to manifest a bit more and its a shame because the action and visuals are almost all top notch in this.

Notably, its the lack of explanation regarding how Mikey survived and got his powers. Newtralizer I can cope with a little more, its not a massive jump to expect the audience to presume something happened with his teleporter in his last appearance to cause that. But Mikey was a lot more out of the left field, and the fact that he survived and wasn't disintegrated implies that anyone hit by Newtralizer's attacks would have survived the same way - which rather detracts from his threat.

Dregg was the other one needing just.... SOMETHING... to explain his survival. Even something simple like;

'Dregg! You cockroach! Its good to see you! I thought you died on Galfoni IX!'
'My old assassin, I never risk myself when a robot clone can do the same job'

And that could have been it! I appreciate time is a factor of course, but the fact that I know those flaws are there make it harder not to notice them in rewatches or if I try and recommend the ep to others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-sedisverse
Tarris Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:38 AM   #59
MarsicornYT
Foot Soldier

That episode was amazing. I loved it so much. One thing I kinda want to say is that they kind of forgot about Splinter, and it's like they don't mourne him anymore. Just a personal thing I guess, but I did love it so much how Raph got angry at Newtralizer for killing Mikey. If he had of said something like 'First father, now Mikey' it would have been cool, and just little things would show how they still struggle without Splinter.

Apart from that this episode didn't feel rushed at all and was so awesome!! There were no silly moments after Mikey died and they kept mentioning it in the second ep which was awesome. I got teary when Mikey sacrificed himself, and I thought he wouldn't come back for a few more episodes, leading to another arc. But it ended awesomly too.
MarsicornYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #60
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
There was also an OT episode where Donatello met a family of Aliens. The husband was named Klatu, the wife was named Virada, and the sons name was Nicto.
Invasion of the Turtle Snatchers (season 3, 1989).

And in turn, their names are based on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da...th_Stood_Still
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote