The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I have no idea. I'm a little concerned about what it means for 02 myself, but it'd be nice if it erased the epilogue. There's a lot of opportunity here, and I hope it gets snatched up.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #22
Allio
Foot Elite

luckily, since this is an odd number season, this should be a great one
Old 08-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #23
Peanut
Second Gear

If nothing else I'm sure it'll be a nostalgia trip for those of us who watched Adventure on Fox Kids all those years ago.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #24
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

And bought the toys. And video games. And colouring books. And school supplies.

Wait, that was just me? Okay.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
If nothing else I'm sure it'll be a nostalgia trip for those of us who watched Adventure on Fox Kids all those years ago.
luckily for me, I hold nostalgia for nothing.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #26
Peanut
Second Gear

I guess? There's nothing wrong with it. It's only an issue if it won't allow you to let go of the past.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #27
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

But don't you know? Nostalgia is horrible. I hear it's the devil.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #28
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I was so disappointed that I couldn't go to the actual event because I couldn't get the time off from work, but hearing this news was nice. I never did watch XROS Wars (or whatever) outside of a couple of eps. When it was originally airing back then (Tuesday nights) I was usually working. Even then, it was more so background noise.

Out of the series I have seen though (first five), I still feel Tamers was the best. The story was okay, the characters were cool, and it, at no point, felt like the Takato show. The main three (Takato, Ruki, Jenrya) always remained the main three. Sure Takato got more stand out scenes, but he never was set up to hog it, imo. I also liked the fact that all of the problems were caused by human error, mostly.

For me, Frontier was my least enjoyed. I liked it fine for the first half, but later on it was too Takuya and Kouji heavy for my liking. I also felt that Kouichi should've had more done on him given the situation his character was in. I also still would've liked the twist ending of
Spoiler:
Kouichi being killed out

I guess I would rank it...

Digimon Tamers
Digimon Adventure/Adventure 02 (I always put it together since it's one big story)
Digimon Savers
Digimon Frontier

Even though I liked something about the other five series (and still find Tamers best series of the first five), Adventure/Adventure 02, for me, have some of the most...interesting characters for me, or it was just easier for me to get attached to them or something compared to the later series.

I wonder if the 02 kids'll be around and if so, everyone's ages will be....

Jou: 18 (Last year of HS)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 17 (2nd year of HS)
Koushirou/Mimi: 16 (1st year of HS)
Miyako: 15 (Last year at Odaiba JHS)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 14 (2nd year at Odaiba JHS)
Iori: 12 (Last year at Odaiba Elementary)

Edit: Forgot to share this...

http://digimon-adventure.net

Click the egg. The faster fans can hatch it, the sooner we get information.

Last edited by ssjup81; 08-05-2014 at 09:09 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #29
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

The only Seasons I watched were the first 3????? I think.
Loved the 1st season, second season was sub par, Season 3 was a bounce back for me.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #30
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Oh god, an 18 year old Joe would be hilarious. He'd ALWAYS be stressed about college. We all know he would be.

But yeah, in regards to what you said about Tamers: One of the things I really liked about it was Takato being so different than other team leaders in the series. He was much more laid back than Tai or anybody, really, and I think that's why he never seemed to be much of an attention hog despite the first several episodes being fixed on him.

I also liked how it wasn't as formulaic. In Adventure, we knew in the episode after Greymon evolved, we'd see Garurumon, and everyone else, one episode at a time. Tamers didn't do that. There were very few episodes that followed one character [which was Adventure's favourite formula] and instead, it developed its characters by putting them into team-wide danger, like with Megidramon. Not saying Adventure's formula was BAD, I just preferred Tamers'.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:26 PM   #31
Ninjinister
無問題

Tamers was also balls-to-the-wall insane and creepy as hell at parts. Even in the dubbed version it was pretty clear how much darker it was than its previous two seasons.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:31 PM   #32
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I could see Jou stressing out because of University entrance exams, if the show goes that far as we didn't see him stressed over his upcoming high-school entrance exams for 02. He was stressed in Adventure originally because of his junior-high-school entrance exams, hence his attending juku/cram school even during his vacation time. Entrance exams for junior high school isn't the norm, hence his obviously being in private school in 02. Given that his father is a doctor, a Kido tradition dating back to the Edo era, I assumed that the school Jou was in for 02 was a good one. Anywho, high-school entrance exams are the norm (as high school in Japan isn't mandatory). Elementary and junior high isn't.

For this upcoming series, the students I could see being the busiest with real-life school stuff are Jou, Koushirou, Mimi (if she's back in Japan, which I really hope she is), and Miyako.

The junior-high kids (Takeru, Hikari, Daisuke, and Ken) may end up busy with real-life mandatory club activities. In Japan for JHS, it's mandatory for students to join a club activity...at least with public schools. Maybe private schools are different. This could also explain why we saw Koushirou so much, as he was in the Computer Club and more than Taichi, seemingly. Same with our seeing Yamato more than Sora. Taichi and Sora were in sports clubs, which are more time-consuming and meets more frequently.

Last edited by ssjup81; 08-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #33
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Tamers was also balls-to-the-wall insane and creepy as hell at parts. Even in the dubbed version it was pretty clear how much darker it was than its previous two seasons.
And this right here is ALSO part of its appeal to me.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Tamers is on Netflix, so I ought to set some time to watch it. I can tell you that the dub version of the finale is always moving for me. I went to check out the original version to see if it might have the same effect on me, but it didn't.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I heard that the dub of Tamers wasn't bad.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
I heard that the dub of Tamers wasn't bad.
the later half wasn't bad. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all had decent dubs. Data Squad is actually the one digimon series that is the closest to it's original version.

Fusion is the worst dub

Last edited by Allio; 08-06-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #37
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
the later half was bad. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all had decent dubs. Data Squad is actually the one digimon series that is the closest to it's original version.

Fusion is the worst dub
For the most part, the dub of 02 caused me to drop it so I've never seen anything dubbed of Digimon since maybe the ep where Miyako took her class trip to Kyoto.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #38
Pterobat
Hench Mutant

Ah, Digimon. I was way too old to watch it when it came on, but I did so anyway. Good times.

However, Tamers/Season 3 was so good it burned away almost all my interest in anything before or afterwards. It was quite a time, especially *because* it was so weird and meta-fictional.

Much of that can be attributed to Chiaki J. Konaka, the director of the series, who worked on stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, and is a known Lovecraft fan. Apparently this new direction for the franchise was polarizing, but I'm glad it happened.

I've never seen a full episode of Digimon in Japanese, though. I know all about the changes made to it, and I've seen plenty of subtitled anime, but just never felt the need to seek out my nostalgic cartoons in Japanese.

http://pterobat.tumblr.com
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
the later half wasn't bad. Tamers, Frontier, and Savers all had decent dubs. Data Squad is actually the one digimon series that is the closest to it's original version.

Fusion is the worst dub
Don't listen to him, he's biased against the dubs. They're all watchable, including Fusion, and that's all some people need.

I mean, Fusion's dub isn't the best, but I don't understand why so many people hate it. I generally just assume it's because it's what's on TV right now, since that always happens with a dub as it's airing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterobat View Post
Much of that can be attributed to Chiaki J. Konaka, the director of the series, who worked on stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, and is a known Lovecraft fan.
He's also a fan of Evangelion. Make of that what you will :V
Old 08-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #40
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I'm a bit biased of Digimon's dub. Adventure is the only one I've seen fully dubbed. I grew so annoyed with 02's dub I dropped it and stuck with the Japanese. After that, I just didn't bother with it. Adventure had its issues too, and can't bring myself to ever rewatch its dub. 02 I won't touch that dub with a 1000000 foot pole.

That aside, Chiaki also did one episode of Adventure 02. The episode where Hikari was trapped in the dark world where those Digimon technically
Spoiler:
wanted to rape her
. I prefer the original over the dubbed ep, though by a lot.

So, what do you hope for in the upcoming series.

Tags
digimon