The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #10061
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I would play more PS4 if fighting games weren't trying to squeeze every penny they could out of me. It's my favorite genre, and I bought pretty much every major fighting game for PS3. Now, with all the season passes and endless DLC, it doesn't feel like a whimsical purchase I can make just to have fun with a different game.

ARMS is fantastic, though. It's super fresh, and that's pretty rare in fighting games. The way you control your punches, it reminds me of Fight Night, or UFC. More than a simple hit or miss, like most fighting games, your attacks and combos connect with different parts of your opponent, to varying degrees. Which makes it extremely satisfying when you devise a tactic and execute just right. Landing a punch in a fighting game is now a big deal, and feels good.

I used to tell my friend, all the time, that UFC and Fight Night were unique and special fighting games, for that reason, and that I'd love to see that sort of system applied to a more traditional fighting game. But that approach only existed in sims. Probably because every major franchise is tied to an ancient control system they don't dare abandon. So, while Street Fighter, Tekken, or MvC do little more than introduce new types of combo meters, it seems only new franchises can do new things.

ARMS also reminds me a lot of Street Fighter. I love the approach of a small, very diverse roster, where every character has gimmicks that would be absolutely infuriating if you didn't have one of your own. Every character in this game has something just as maddening as Chun Li's kicks, or Dhalsim reaching halfway across the stage. You really have to learn everybody.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #10062
sdp
-

Who here played Star Fox Zero, is it worth getting?

Star Fox 2 finally being released got me in the Star Fox mood and the game seems to be rather cheap in stores. Is it a remake, reboot or what really?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #10063
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Only in Japan...

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #10064
Guile
Banned

So which is the best version of the 3DS hardware? I have a 2DS and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm thinking the New 3DS XL.
Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #10065
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
So which is the best version of the 3DS hardware? I have a 2DS and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm thinking the New 3DS XL.
Yeah get that, that's the latest hardware for it.

I'm planning on getting a Switch, I'm glad it's getting loving attention worldwide since its launch.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #10066
Guile
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Yeah get that, that's the latest hardware for it.

I'm planning on getting a Switch, I'm glad it's getting loving attention worldwide since its launch.
I am hoping for a Mario Odyssey bundle near Christmas, maybe with 2 red Joy Cons.

There is also a New 2DS XL.
Guile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #10067
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The New 2DS XL is the latest one, not the 3DS XL. It supposedly has a slightly faster processor than the 3DS XL. I would get the 2DS XL, if I were looking.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #10068
Shark_Blade
Emperor

But there's no 3D for that though...

I put the 2D & 3D models separately tbh.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:22 PM   #10069
Peanut
Second Gear

The Switch is pretty nifty, huh?
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #10070
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
The Switch is pretty nifty, huh?
I like mine!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #10071
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Me, too. I just got Sonic Mania on it. Preeetty good. I feel like a chump, though. I'm not getting the emeralds as quickly as I'd like, haha.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #10072
Ninjinister
無問題

Despite being one of the "who cares" guys when they weren't available at launch, I was recently in a situation where it would have been much more convenient to have Netflix/Hulu on my Switch rather than the other devices I had available, and now I'm hoping they get those over sooner rather than later.

I mean there's a million other things that are probably priority, and it may not even be 100% Nintendo's call, but I might have to be in this situation again and I wish they're hurry up, heh.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #10073
Roseangelo
Emperor

I was able to score an SNES Classic pre-order through Best Buy, because I was dinking around on Twitter a couple nights ago. I didn't even know that it was expected to be pre-order day. But I am quite happy I don't have to actually worry about it on release day.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #10074
sdp
-

So, Miiverse is being discontinued, I guess we knew it was coming but I didn't think it'd come so soon, I thought it'd end once the 3DS and Wii U's online services went offline or at the very least until the 3DS line was officially discontinued.

I have to admit I didn't use miiverse much but the few times I did it was great, I also liked posting some pictures there since I wouldn't want them on my normal social media accounts and had a lot of fun following cool people and artists on miiverse. My favorite aspect was the games that used it like New SMBU, that stage on SSB, NES Remix, hell even splatoon. Those games woudn't be the same without it.

The service was highly praised and while it did have tons of cringe worthy stuff, it was hilariously awful and that was fine since it was mostly aimed at kids. I was angry that Nintendo didn't include it on the Switch but I guess that sealed the faith of Miiverse. They don't want you to share stuff in their own echo chamber but instead get free publicity on twitter/facebook.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #10075
Turo602
The King of Kings

I think Nintendo is stupid for getting rid of it. Both Xbox and Playstation have created their own social platforms, and with Nintendo having Miiverse already, they could have utilized it better on the Switch. The controller even has a capture button, but what good is it if you can't share your images somewhere? Also, they need to let you record gameplay already. Breath of the Wild would have been great to scroll through clips of on Miiverse. I know I definitely wish I was able to capture footage of some of the wacky stuff that has happened to me in Sonic Mania.

Last edited by Turo602; 08-30-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Turo602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 AM   #10076
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
The controller even has a capture button, but what good is it if you can't share your images somewhere?
You can post them on Facebook and Twitter and ish.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:00 AM   #10077
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
You can post them on Facebook and Twitter and ish.
Yeah, but that's like real social media, where you have your friends and family on and not all of them care about that stuff. At least with the Xbox One, your gaming friends can see it, and with Miiverse, you're sharing it with more than just your friends. You can even upload to Youtube, which I've done a lot of so I can look back at those memories whenever I want.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:43 PM   #10078
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Whelp I'm buying the Nintendo Switch

Old 08-31-2017, 09:53 AM   #10079
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
I think Nintendo is stupid for getting rid of it. Both Xbox and Playstation have created their own social platforms, and with Nintendo having Miiverse already, they could have utilized it better on the Switch. The controller even has a capture button, but what good is it if you can't share your images somewhere? Also, they need to let you record gameplay already. Breath of the Wild would have been great to scroll through clips of on Miiverse. I know I definitely wish I was able to capture footage of some of the wacky stuff that has happened to me in Sonic Mania.
Just use Elgato Game Capture HD than the crappy short vid capture function provided on PS4. Same with Switch. It'll let you record hours on end.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM   #10080
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
Just use Elgato Game Capture HD than the crappy short vid capture function provided on PS4. Same with Switch. It'll let you record hours on end.
Not worth my time.