The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #221
thundermaster612
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by imevilduckie View Post
Randy mentioned that there were no plans for IDW-based figures.
Well **** you Randy, you missed a big opportunity. Since NECA is out then who can we look to for IDW figures?
Old 06-25-2016, 05:43 PM   #222
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior

A big "opportunity" for no one. Guarantee you it's not like it was available and NECA passed on the chance.
Lil Karai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #223
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Even if they did, they'd make it con exclusive for the select few and scalpers.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #224
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior

Yeah, because that situation is totally their ideal choice too. Grow up, people. NECA is trying to do what they can within the confines of a very strict licensing agreement with Nickelodeon. Playmates is the master license holder.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #225
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
Even if they did, they'd make it con exclusive for the select few and scalpers.
ya that's the sad truth
Old 06-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #226
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
ya that's the sad truth
Yes, unless Nickelodeon changes the licensing agreement under which NECA can operate under, they would have to be 'con exclusives and sold in sets.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #227
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Karai View Post
Yeah, because that situation is totally their ideal choice too. Grow up, people. NECA is trying to do what they can within the confines of a very strict licensing agreement with Nickelodeon. Playmates is the master license holder.
See that's where I don't agree. This whole argument 6" is the biggest market. If Neca was trying to go with the biggest market, they would find a size allowed to sell to the entire world. Because that market is bigger than 6" con exclusive. I know playmates gets crap for it, but don't make Neca the victim here deciding to produce a product with restrictions.

Kinda sick of you lil karai telling people to grow up if they say anything bad about Neca. Sorry I'm not sucking Neca off like you all the time. We are allowed to call out Neca if we please.

In short, ANY size allowed would have a bigger market and more profit for Neca over a con exclusive scalper 6"
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #228
Lil Karai
Stone Warrior

They did find a size to sell to the entire world. Quarter scale. 90's Henson turtles imminent and guess what? People still complained about the scale.

Feel free to disagree. Folks disagree that the world is round, but their opinion can be refudiated by facts. Same situation here.

We have been over and over the facts of the licensing restrictions in this thread and others, yet people still want to whine at NECA for being the bad guy. To me, this behavior is childish. The childish behavior further culminating in your suggestion that I'm performing a sexual act on NECA, simply because I'm an adult, able to discern the facts, and comment on it.

The ridiculous childish negativity is why more positive and enthusiastic hobbyists leave message boards. This causes some people to be the false sense that "everyone" is being negative towards a certain company when it's simply a group of loud bullies that have taken over a forum. So good luck to you on that endeavor.

Hopefully NECA can grab the attention of the licensors with their great product, and perhaps soften the current licensing restrictions so that they can start making 6" figures freely accessible to everyone again.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:35 AM   #229
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

It’s like beating a dead hose at this point – unless NECA announces something, any further speculation is just going to trigger another round of the blame game.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:30 AM   #230
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieNES View Post
In short, ANY size allowed would have a bigger market and more profit for Neca over a con exclusive scalper 6"
Oh, do you mean the 1/4th scale figures they are doing?
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #231
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Karai View Post
^THIS.

As one who's actually worked in buying smaller licenses in the comic book circle for marketing a product, like trading cards and whatnot, I can confirm that this is pretty much what businesses have to endure when trying to put out a third party product. The more popular the license, the more expensive and complicated it becomes.
The master license holder, ultimately has the final say in either, what type of product you're allowed to do, how much each unit will cost you, or a set fee for a specifically used license, within a deadline, which always comes with limitations and in some cases, there are multiple license holders for a certain franchise you have to go through, if you're looking to depict the same trademark, in a specific fashion, that was presented under a different license (like Konami's TMNT arcade game figures). I'd imagine they had to go through not just the master license holder, but Konami as well.

There was a point when my business manager and I were trying to work with Capcom (to obtain the Street Fighter license) to produce a small product and that posed many hurdles to get through. We eventually had to back out because of how expensive it was vs how much profit we'd be able to make. We didn't want to overprice the products and we were hoping we could make many for mass consumption. But that was impossible. We'd have had to make a limit of 500-1000 units at about 100 to 200 dollars per unit, in order for my business to break even. No way....

A failed attempt, but in hindsight, we got to see what it took to get something going with such a popular license. A lot of consumers don't know about this side of the business. TMNT is huge. I'm sure Playmates has an incredible strong hold on it's cash cow and has limited Neca from mass producing their trademark, perhaps in a manner of dollar digits.

So I'm with lil Karai here and do feel that maybe we can be a little better with ourselves and not spit so much venom towards Neca for only being able to do so much.

I personally understand the frustration, as I really want those arcade figures myself...but I've already came to terms with the fact that I may never have them, unless I pay scalper prices. But I don't blame Neca for this, as I'm pretty sure if they were given the freedom to do so, they'd make them available for the entire world to easily obtain.
Toy making is really expensive, especially when you're not as big as a company like Playmates Toys. Everyone has to cover their butts when conducting this sort of business. It's harsh sometimes.

http://www.narcomics.com

Last edited by Splint'r; 06-27-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Splint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #232
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

So no individually packaged figures this time around?
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #233
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splint'r View Post
^THIS.

The master license holder, ultimately has the final say in either, what type of product you're allowed to do, how much each unit will cost you, or a set fee for a specifically used license, within a deadline, which always comes with limitations and in some cases, there are multiple license holders for a certain franchise you have to go through, if you're looking to depict the same trademark, in a specific fashion, that was presented under a different license (like Konami's TMNT arcade game figures). I'd imagine they had to go through not just the master license holder, but Konami as well.
i think Nickelodeon should have ultimate say over this. they own TMNT. Playmates is just a lousy company that produces lousy toys. and i wish they would get their license taken away

im not disagreeing with you i just think it should be like that because what is Playmates
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:58 PM   #234
imevilduckie
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
i think Nickelodeon should have ultimate say over this. they own TMNT. Playmates is just a lousy company that produces lousy toys. and i wish they would get their license taken away

im not disagreeing with you i just think it should be like that because what is Playmates
It's unlikely that Nick can just "take the license away". When Nickelodeon purchased TMNT from Mirage, they inherited contracts that were previously struck regarding the property. They have to honor the contract, unless there's a provision that allows them to buy out Playmates' rights and they choose to exercise it.
imevilduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #235
go_ninja84
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by imevilduckie View Post
It's unlikely that Nick can just "take the license away". When Nickelodeon purchased TMNT from Mirage, they inherited contracts that were previously struck regarding the property. They have to honor the contract, unless there's a provision that allows them to buy out Playmates' rights and they choose to exercise it.
i believe Playmates wasn't even making TMNT when they purchased the franchise
go_ninja84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:56 PM   #236
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_ninja84 View Post
i believe Playmates wasn't even making TMNT when they purchased the franchise
When Nickelodeon bought it? They were. That "era" was winding down, but they were still making toys in 2009 tying into the 2007 movie (and still the 2003 cartoon to some degree, I think?) as well as 25th anniversary re-releases of the original toy line.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:25 AM   #237
d3vkit
New Recruit

Just found out about these figures a few days ago. Am trying to decide if $50 / figure on ebay is worth it, and if the price will go down after the figures actually become available. Since it's such a limited run of 3k per set (I think), it seems like these will only get more expensive as time goes on, but I just don't know if I can afford $400 for these toys. I am not a serious collector, I just happened to get the NECA turtles line from before, and really loved those. These look like they would be super cool to have but... $400. Man, I just can't afford that.
d3vkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 PM   #238
slaysghosts
Foot Soldier

Yikes, as a collector and constant follower of NECA's twitter (exclusively handled by the product developer, Randy Falk) I gotta back them up and say chill out to the haters and the complaining. lil Karai already stated so many FACTS, there's no need to regurgitate. But, it is worth noting that Randy is one smart cookie. You guys do realize that when NECA announced the arcade SDCC packs that they blew the internet up. What you may not have read Randy say is that he is using everything he can from that to take back to the table and continue to try and get the 7" scale back to where they can produce individual figures and in retail. He is using the inch that Nick gave them and making it hit so hard, with so much want and need from the fans, that they can not ignore it. It won't change anything right away, these packs will still be SDCC exclusives, but remember, if NECA gets the 7" scale back they have the means of re-releasing them in individual packs one day. ........Along w/ any other iteration of the franchise.

Do yourself a favor: Bookmark this page ---> Click Here

Also, a lot of people have obnoxiously large signatures and you'll get use to it.
slaysghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:40 AM   #239
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundermaster612 View Post
Well **** you Randy, you missed a big opportunity. Since NECA is out then who can we look to for IDW figures?
IDW is way too niche for NECA to do, though.

The options are 1/4th scaled IDW figures, a scale not everyone can afford or are interested in. Or a SDCC exclusive that you can only buy and pick up at the Con.

It's not a coincident that NECA is doing 1990 Hendon Turtles for the wider 1/4th scale figure release, and Arcade style figures for SDCC. The arcade figures appeal to both TMNT fans and NECA Video Game Apparence crowd.

If they had a wider license contract, we'd maybe see different styled Turtles then just the most iconic.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:05 PM   #240
cloud
Stone Warrior

I'm still thinking if I should just bite the bullet and pre-order from Ebay. But then there is fear that the SDCC sets would later be made available like in Hong Kong or somewhere else
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote