The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #81
Vegita-San
Emperor

tension in a ninja turtles cartoon .....

Yep, it was a mini turtle cast reunion with this one. too bad they couldn't find a voice for movie leo and movie raph too..
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #82
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
tension in a ninja turtles cartoon .....

Yep, it was a mini turtle cast reunion with this one. too bad they couldn't find a voice for movie leo and movie raph too..
That might make it "a little too Raph."

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #83
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
That might make it "a little too Raph."
BOOOO!

The real question is which Movie Raph do you use? Josh Pais could do it...maybe...but each movie had a new Raph.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #84
ninja-guyver
Random Punk

Just finished watching it, yeah it was fun.

Some bits were a little over exaggerated but it was still more respectful than turtles forever.

Alot of the original Toon mockery felt very self aware like violence joke with Leonardo.

Am sad we won't get another one of these cross overs.

Last edited by ninja-guyver; 09-13-2017 at 11:19 AM.
ninja-guyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #85
Vicky82
Emperor

I just watched it, I really enjoyed it and I laughed a lot.

But now i'm sad because there's only 3 episodes left and also this is the final time we see everyone as we know them because they will be a lot older or probably dead in the final.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #86
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Archie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Earth 7?

Let's see here:
  1. Mirage
  2. Usagi
  3. FW
  4. Live-action
  5. 4Kids
  6. IDW
  7. Nickelodeon
  8. Bayturtles
  9. Dimension X
  10. Hell

That's 10 Dimensions alright...
But Archie?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #87
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

One quibble: where were Krang's rock soldiers...we see the Kraang's rock soldiers, and new mini minions, but no classic Fred Wolf rock soldiers.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #88
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
But Archie?
The Fred Wolf turtles that appear here seems to be weird combination of the show and the video games while Krang has a backstory that's incompatible with the actual show. I think that the Nick Multiverse FW turtles aren't really the ones from that show but rather a pastiche of the idea of the Fred Wolf turtles and it's tie-ins.

Since Archie and FW started out as the same scripts and marketed the same toyline, they might no be considered distinct enough from each other to warrant different Universes and are instead mushed together.

The only way to justify 10 dimensions (at least 3 of which aren't even TMNT based) then you'd either have to ignore or combine them if they're similar enough, here, look.
  1. Main Mirage, tonally compatible guest stories, Image.
  2. Usagi
  3. Fred Wolf TMNT, Archie TMNT, FW video games, anime, Fleetway.
  4. First three live-action movies, TNM, TMNT 07, TMNT 07 comics, TMNT 07 video games.
  5. 4Kids, Dreamwave, 4Kids video games.
  6. IDW series, Mutants in Manhattan.
  7. Nick TMNT, IDW Nick TMNT, Panini TMNT, Nick TMNT video games.
  8. Bayturtles, Bayturtles video games.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #89
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky82 View Post
I just watched it, I really enjoyed it and I laughed a lot.

But now i'm sad because there's only 3 episodes left and also this is the final time we see everyone as we know them because they will be a lot older or probably dead in the final.
Are you sure they'll not just time-travel 50 years into the future?
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #90
Vicky82
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Are you sure they'll not just time-travel 50 years into the future?
No it's confirmed that it is 50 years later. Did you see those 2 promos.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM   #91
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Love this crossover I don't get why FW fans are getting so upset. The FW Turtles were always incompetent fighters and goofballs that is how they are portrayed in this special. Kevin Michael Richardson does a great job voicing shredder
Old 09-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #92
teacher fan
Random Punk

Hey everyone. Just saw the new crossover. I enjoyed it. I think my only solid complaint I could make about this crossover is that the stakes weren't that high. In Turtles Forever and Trans-Dimensional Turtles, they were attempting to save the multiverse. In this crossover, only the Nick Turtles universe was in jeapordy.

However, the strength of the story was the interactions between the characters. It was simply fun to see all of the characters meet up. Yes, the 87 Turtles were a bit ineffective at the start of this story. But it seemed okay story-wise to me. In Trans-Dimensional Turtles, they were just fighting the Kraang. In this crossover, they were facing Bebop and Rocksteady who are much stronger physically than Krang. Plus, the emphasis was placed on that their TACTICS they were used to wouldn't work. Card board boxes, water from a fire hydrant, and other silly objects just don't cut it against the actual deadly villains of the Nick TMNT universe. However in this crossover, the Nick TMNT do teach their 80's counterparts to fight more like them. And they do learn and adapt. 87 Leo actually hits a bunch of enemies with his swords and smiles as he realizes he's actually enjoying getting so violent. And also, even though the 87 Turtles aren't portrayed as being the best fighters in this crossover and are labeled as weird, the special does emphasize that to the 87 Turtles, the Nick Turtles are weird. So it's alll good there to me.

As for the rest, Kevin Michael Richardson is... okay as Shredder. James Avery has a unique voice so it's hard to replace him. But he's okay. All of the other returning characters sound great though. And again, the character interactions are the highlight of the crossover. I think the funniest bit is when the 87 Turtles meet April and comment on how she looks like a kid saying she's too young to wear a reporter jumpsuit, followed by Aprl asking why a reporter should wear a jumpsuit. Overall: I think this crossover with the 87 Turtles was my least favorite of the three featuring them, but that does not make it bad at all. The stakes weren't as high, and the special does retread ground already done, but it was a very fun and solid adventure.
teacher fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 PM   #93
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Man, I just saw all the episodes. I have so much to say, I'll have to type it all in Word first to make sure I don't lose it.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #94
JH24
Hench Mutant

That was fun. That was so much more fun than I expected. I really liked the portrayal of the FW turtles and their designs look so much better when animated. I especially love their expressions.

- Love how FW and Nick Mikey got along so well. Had to laugh during the training session when FW mikey started to play with the ball and the other Mikey joined in, only for Leo to take the ball away.

- I liked how for a moment Shredder and Kraang were so close to victory, both in the first and final episode of the Arc. Really liked their portrayal as well.

- Loved seeing Karai and Shinigami. I couldn't help but laugh at her reaction to the FW turtles. They were either confused or insulted, but poor FW Michelangelo looked really sad.

- Overall the writing was clever, lots of jokes and references.

- Bebop and Rocksteady are no longer villains, and I liked how the FW turtles gave their B&R a new chance as well.

- I liked how they showed the turtles being bored at the beginning. It's nice seeing them in more peaceful times, trying to either relax or figure out what to do next.

===

Anyone notice the scene (and joke) with Timothy in the background and Donnie being bored and trying to figure out what to do next?

I was like... Uhm, there's something you can work on right next to you...

Last edited by JH24; 09-13-2017 at 02:43 PM.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 PM   #95
Vicky82
Emperor

There was one unexpected moment that shocked me

Mikey having an angry outburst and then throwing the post box at Traag. I was like Yikes!!!! where did that come from.

It was a shame that Casey, Karai, and Shinigami were only in 1 episode. They just disappeared.

So are the Mutanimals staying with the EPF now at TCRI. They certainly got there quickly.

Last edited by Vicky82; 09-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:28 PM   #96
Powder
So tired of this place

Not gonna act like this wasn't fun/funny/nostalgic/etc but it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. They parodied the sh*t out of the Fred Wolf characters, IMO, more than Turtles Forever. & it felt like the Nick turtles were more rude to them this time. Considering their father is dead & they only have so few ties to the world, where's the brotherly love?

First of all, Trans-dimensional Turtles set them up as being a bit goofy/unorthodox, but competent. All of a sudden they're morons who can't fight? What's with that? They need to be completely re-trained? & two nut-shots for Donnie? Really? Rather than retcon their skills, wouldn't it make more sense to just come up with a different sort of roadblock, like the two teams arguing over their approach or something? So that in of itself was irksome to me. But it's like, okay, who exactly are you trying to appeal to by doing that? You dedicate 3 entire episodes of the last season to Fred Wolf homage/pandering/whatever you wanna call it, but then you go and tick off it's core fanbase by making pansies outta the characters despite previously doing them better justice than Turtles Forever... Alright, so is the intention to appeal to stone-faced Mirage fans by saying "Haha, these guys are so useless and stupid, right? Right? Nudge Nudge!"? Can't see that landing properly because you, again, dedicated 3 entire episodes of the last season to Fred Wolf... Fans of the mature stuff still have to sit through wackiness, & fans of the wacky stuff have to deal with their version being made fun of, seems like lose/lose, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have this than not, but I wonder why it really exists in the first place. Is Nick/Viacom pushing for it to boost ratings by trying to grab those nostalgic 30-somethings who remember nothing more than the voices? Ciro made it quite clear from the get-go he wasn't really a fan of the old cartoon at all, yet over time it became more & more like it. So is that Brandon's influence? The executives? Who? Is it forced, & this is their way of railing against it a little bit? It's weird to me, I dunno. I mean no disrespect to the creative team. There's obviously a lot of love put into it, not just ribbing.

My glass half-empty feeling aside, there were a lot of strong points. I laughed along the way, & was bordering on giddy when certain references were made/characters appeared.

-'87 Bebop & Rocksteady were a joy to see/hear. Looked great, sounded great, gave me warm fuzzies.
-What little we saw of the 2D animation was way better & far more on-model than previously, the Technodrome set piece was beautiful.
-Shoutout to the '87 Shredder/Krang musical cue they re-created for this.
-The Foot were an awesome addition. I was amused by their terrible Playmates posture & the inclusion of their toy-only weapon. The ninja moves were cool to see as well. They had Knuckleheads! Rad.
-The turtles' voices were their best in this series. Their initial cameo sounded a bit rough, second was quite close to the original, third was absolutely perfect. Much props to Cam, Rob, Townie, Barry, Pat, & Andrea.
-Nick's B&R deciding to stray from the path of evil, with the implication of a possible Mutanimals join-up was a very fitting send-off for the pair. I liked that.
-FW turtles meeting ICK & Chompy, having a little bit of hangout time in general is always nice.
-Donatello's favorite bo line was a great throwback.
-Loved the Chrome Dome shampoo bottle design.

As far as the story goes, I like the team-up of old & new villains, & the dynamic they had as a collective, but I wish they'd have done something different outside of that. The stakes weren't high enough, for me. I mean, a world ending event like Turtles Forever would just be further retreading, so it's not like I want more of the same, but perhaps instead they could've tried to merge the universes like in the Super Mario movie? I dunno. Plenty of possibilities.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. Competent turtles (& a somewhat less spineless Shredder) in the same story would've made it an 8 or 8.5, bit more variety/higher stakes = 10.

I've rarely been critical of this series, y'all know that. So don't give me sh*t for having an opinion once in a while.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #97
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I had some bits that I liked quite a lot.

Had to stop to laugh at Rocksteady recalling his Mama in his...very Russian way. And his out-of-the-blue offer of a hug to Bebop in the elevator. Their relationship came a pretty long way for that to happen. And there were lots of hugs in this episode.

Then the return of Krang and the shower...though the "shampoo" makes his cleaning up in the suit even more confusing when Shredder apparently seems to shower with his helmet on?
Old 09-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #98
Ninturtle
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Not gonna act like this wasn't fun/funny/nostalgic/etc but it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. They parodied the sh*t out of the Fred Wolf characters, IMO, more than Turtles Forever. & it felt like the Nick turtles were more rude to them this time. Considering their father is dead & they only have so few ties to the world, where's the brotherly love?

First of all, Trans-dimensional Turtles set them up as being a bit goofy/unorthodox, but competent. All of a sudden they're morons who can't fight? What's with that? They need to be completely re-trained? & two nut-shots for Donnie? Really? Rather than retcon their skills, wouldn't it make more sense to just come up with a different sort of roadblock, like the two teams arguing over their approach or something? So that in of itself was irksome to me. But it's like, okay, who exactly are you trying to appeal to by doing that? You dedicate 3 entire episodes of the last season to Fred Wolf homage/pandering/whatever you wanna call it, but then you go and tick off it's core fanbase by making pansies outta the characters despite previously doing them better justice than Turtles Forever... Alright, so is the intention to appeal to stone-faced Mirage fans by saying "Haha, these guys are so useless and stupid, right? Right? Nudge Nudge!"? Can't see that landing properly because you, again, dedicated 3 entire episodes of the last season to Fred Wolf... Fans of the mature stuff still have to sit through wackiness, & fans of the wacky stuff have to deal with their version being made fun of, seems like lose/lose, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have this than not, but I wonder why it really exists in the first place. Is Nick/Viacom pushing for it to boost ratings by trying to grab those nostalgic 30-somethings who remember nothing more than the voices? Ciro made it quite clear from the get-go he wasn't really a fan of the old cartoon at all, yet over time it became more & more like it. So is that Brandon's influence? The executives? Who? Is it forced, & this is their way of railing against it a little bit? It's weird to me, I dunno. I mean no disrespect to the creative team. There's obviously a lot of love put into it, not just ribbing.

My glass half-empty feeling aside, there were a lot of strong points. I laughed along the way, & was bordering on giddy when certain references were made/characters appeared.

-'87 Bebop & Rocksteady were a joy to see/hear. Looked great, sounded great, gave me warm fuzzies.
-What little we saw of the 2D animation was way better & far more on-model than previously, the Technodrome set piece was beautiful.
-Shoutout to the '87 Shredder/Krang musical cue they re-created for this.
-The Foot were an awesome addition. I was amused by their terrible Playmates posture & the inclusion of their toy-only weapon. The ninja moves were cool to see as well. They had Knuckleheads! Rad.
-The turtles' voices were their best in this series. Their initial cameo sounded a bit rough, second was quite close to the original, third was absolutely perfect. Much props to Cam, Rob, Townie, Barry, Pat, & Andrea.
-Nick's B&R deciding to stray from the path of evil, with the implication of a possible Mutanimals join-up was a very fitting send-off for the pair. I liked that.
-FW turtles meeting ICK & Chompy, having a little bit of hangout time in general is always nice.
-Donatello's favorite bo line was a great throwback.
-Loved the Chrome Dome shampoo bottle design.

As far as the story goes, I like the team-up of old & new villains, & the dynamic they had as a collective, but I wish they'd have done something different outside of that. The stakes weren't high enough, for me. I mean, a world ending event like Turtles Forever would just be further retreading, so it's not like I want more of the same, but perhaps instead they could've tried to merge the universes like in the Super Mario movie? I dunno. Plenty of possibilities.

I'd give it a 6.5/10. Competent turtles (& a somewhat less spineless Shredder) in the same story would've made it an 8 or 8.5, bit more variety/higher stakes = 10.

I've rarely been critical of this series, y'all know that. So don't give me sh*t for having an opinion once in a while.
I agree that the turtles needing to be trained came out no where, but I thought it made sense seeing as their fighting style is unrealistic and goofy and wouldn't work in Nicks universe as well. I found this special to be the funniest of the season, I can see your issues with the episodes but they didn't bother me because the episodes were so well done.
Ninturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #99
NoPressApril
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit31 View Post
If you didn't like this episode, you must have HATED Turtles Forever. I found the treatment of the 80's Turtles MUCH better with Nick than 4Kids. That's probably the thing that bothered me the most about Turtles Forever. I really like both TF and this one overall, though.
I completely hated it, even threw the DVD away after watching it the one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Christ, really? More of these kinds complaints?
Yep! I am an OT purist and have been from the very beginning (age 5). I'm not one of these people who made fun of it (and my love of it) then suddenly jumped on the bandwagon because NECA released some awesome figures from it.
NoPressApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #100
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninturtle View Post
I agree that the turtles needing to be trained came out no where, but I thought it made sense seeing as their fighting style is unrealistic and goofy and wouldn't work in Nicks universe as well. I found this special to be the funniest of the season, I can see your issues with the episodes but they didn't bother me because the episodes were so well done.
that was the problem though. They set them up as competent in the first show, and KRANG was the goofy one.

Now they kind of made them ALL goofy, and it really pleases no one, except maybe the die hard mirage fans, as it was pointed out above.

It really seemed like a complete 180 from their portrayal on far more even ground in TD turtles. and totally unneeded.

The other thing I didn't see a need for was the vans upgraded weaponry. Totally useless. and Rocksteady destroys the technorome with one misssle launcher, that's far less strong?

sigh. details people.

but, like i said. very small nagging things. i enjoyed most of it from start to finish.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote