The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #7701
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

And Iiii've been pecked by an ostrich!

In a friendly encounter at a petting zoo, a two-humped camel wrapped its neck around my friend's head like it was trying to hug her. And I barely missed it for a picture. And those suckers are HUGE.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #7702
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
They say you're not supposed to take turtles to the nearest pond because it stresses them, but my area has two ponds around it. So usually when there's turtles in the road, it means they've been washed out by a storm.

Of course, that meant rescuing a snapping turtle once. My parents had to haul it onto a spare tire using battery clamps. Then I had to put my feet up in the car.

Saw this earlier and meant to respond but didn't have time. I know that if a pond gets too shallow or food is scarce turtles will sometimes pull up stakes and "migrate" to a new one with better prospects. Or they just might be looking for a nest site. True story- while living with my grandmother (we were there for about 3 & 1/2 years) we discovered a HUGE snapper pushing dirt around in the shady spot under my grandma's gliding swing. My uncle tried to root it out of there since we use it a lot, and prodded it with a broom habdle. And thus we discovered that the stories of snappers breaking brooms in half are 100% true! He finally ran it off (towards grandma's pasture with the pond- which is probably where the snapper came from to begin with, being the nearest water source.) but it was NOT happy and kept hissing and snapping anytime anyone came close. I now believe it was a she-turtle, and was probably trying to lay her eggs under there. Which is odd since the house is nearly ten acres from the pond!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #7703
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Seriously though I was once chomped on by a mantis. Now THAT hurts! Sucker drew blood too.
o.O Never heard of anyone being bitten! I've had a large one jab me with the spikes on its arms, but vs being bitten I guess that was the polite way of telling me to leave it alone. lol

No ostriches for me, just a chicken. (And a parakeet. Right on the flesh between thumb and pointer.)

But I guess it should be an honor though to be among the rare people bitten by a daddy longlegs (aka harvestman, aka Opiliones). Common around my grandparents' home, I'd played with them forever before finding the one grumpy one.

edit: No snappers, thanks... Have only held a tiny baby one in a cup once in the car as we took it to a good spot we knew of.

Grind... I think certain people who can't keep it to themselves went and gave me a cold virus. Ugh.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-19-2017 at 05:34 PM.
IndigoErth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #7704
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu

The mantis was a "pet" I was keeping for a while a long time ago when I was a kid. Finally ended up letting it go free.

Never been bitten by ANY spider, in spite of how often I have held/played with/had them crawl on me. Even recluses, which I've been crawled on by in at least a half dozen occasions. They must like me. I've let jumpers (Audacious Jumpers- Phiddipus audax- are one of my favorite spiders as they are bold and smart.) climb around on my hand many times, as well as various webweavers and wolf spiders. Rabid Wolf mamas are fun to watch when they carry around their eggsac behind them or the babies on their backs. I once watched an eggsac hatching baby agriopes (the big black and yellow garden arachnids) until it was nearly empty, and watched the spiderlings climb around in the grass and start ballooning off. So neat!

Old 09-19-2017, 05:45 PM   #7705
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Love Phiddipus audax, they're so cute and awesome. One of the only species will willingly hold. Anything else has to be a tiny baby...
Old 09-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #7706
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu

I like peacock jumpers too because they are so colorful! I'd love to find one someday but I've only seen them in photos. I was one of those weird kids who liked bugs and would go out hunting for them....

Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #7707
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Yeah, sadly I think we'd have to go to another country for those little guys? Also, me too, on the bug hunting.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #7708
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P35YlD2Z5E&t=1s

Happy this thing suddenly ballooned up to 13K somehow, with far more likes than dislikes....

and yet, the Second comment on the video. I'd like to think he meant it as a compliment, and that he thinks the Zim guy's video looks out dated enough to be made on an amiga, but somehow I doubt that is the case..and the reverse is what he means..

sigh. a little positivity once in a while keeps grumps like me from forming full time .
Vegita-San is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #7709
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Dad had an attitude yesterday and wanted to go outside. I swear, he does this every damn time the nurse comes so he can be pitied, but she knows his game and doesn't pity him one bit. We always make it clear that when we take him outside that it is the only day we're going to do it but he keeps acting this way and doesn't care. So tired of it!

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #7710
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

So, Dad woke us up this morning at ten after five in the morning by blaring his TV loud! Seriously? Every time he tried to go back to sleep, I woke him up to see how he'd like it. Stupid jerk!

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM   #7711
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu

Oh yay. Nature strikes again. In an ironic little twist I first realized it while reading one of the more disturbing murder incidents in Stephen King's It. Figures. Bloody hell....

Old Today, 12:15 PM   #7712
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

My brother has been in San Marcos on his own for a little while now, and he's gotten really sick with the flu .