The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #41
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
Purgatory is a Catholic thing. I'm betting he's protestant.
Baptist, Southern... in the north. I like food. Baptists are known for our food festivals/fellowships. It was win win. Good for the body, good for the soul.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #42
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaczaps View Post
Well, there is a "time limit". You die and its either hell or Heaven. That moment. No playtime as ghost dad. No chillen unseen with your homies. Thats all tv/movie bs...
You seem really sure about that...

Some people would call that "bible BS" or just generic "religion BS"

Me personally, I feel that the mystery of the next stage of life after death is largely beyond our understanding. I do believe that reincarnation happens sometimes but not all the time. I don't think we can figure it out for sure though, at least not in this life.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #43
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
What about cryptids? I think some of them are definitively bullsh!t but the chances are pretty damn good that there are plenty of species we haven't discovered yet. There was one book on some of the more famous cryptids that I always used to check out from the library when I was a kid. Ogopogo, Mothman, thunderbirds, the ghost cat of DC, sasquatch, the Goatman, living dinosaurs in remote jungles. Some of them I'm positive are not real but others I still wonder about
It would be awesome if Sasquatch turned up and the history of sightings world over (including Yeti, etc.) is interesting, but the lack of evidence... eh...

Sometimes I wonder if it is just humanity's continued memory, through stories, of another vaguely human-like hominid that used to exist.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #44
Katie
Just...way too serious.

Quote:
Baptist, Southern... in the north. I like food. Baptists are known for our food festivals/fellowships. It was win win. Good for the body, good for the soul.
Yeah, I figured Baptist. I'm from Alabama. Most everyone here is Baptist. I'm a weirdy Methodist
Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #45
tmntfannumerouno
Stone Warrior

One night I was in my house and francine was washing the dishes. I yelled out FRANCINE get in here ya ain't gonna believe this ****! She yelled back what I'm busy! To which I replied with fear in my voice ya ain't gonna believe this ****! She said angrilly just tell me what's wrong I'm busy. I yelled back as loud as I could my feces is green. There was a brief pause. Then francine yelled back you big dummy I told you not to eat all that salad.

True story and if green poop ain't paranormal I don't know what is.
tmntfannumerouno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 PM   #46
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
It would be awesome if Sasquatch turned up and the history of sightings world over (including Yeti, etc.) is interesting, but the lack of evidence... eh...

Sometimes I wonder if it is just humanity's continued memory, through stories, of another vaguely human-like hominid that used to exist.
Whoa now there's an interesting theory. Kind of ties in with Jung's theory of the collective unconscious, the repository of a species' ancestral knowledge.

So have we all realized that the famous picture of the Loch Ness monster is fake? It would be so cool if Nessie were real but I don't think there's any point holding out hope for something that's been debunked, especially when there are plenty of other mysterious lake dwellers that are more likely to be something interesting. I think there's good chance that a lot of species we thought have gone extinct are still out there, somewhere
Old 05-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #47
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
I think there's good chance that a lot of species we thought have gone extinct are still out there, somewhere
Hey, look at the coelacanth. Thought extinct since the late Cretaceous period...and then it turned up.

"Just keep swimming" indeed. Dorie should have been a coelacanth.

Not to mention known critters like the horseshoe crab. Still hanging around after millions of years. (And will probably be our fault if they go extinct. ) Who knows what kind of crazy creatures are still hiding somewhere, or a close descendant of them.

I wish Nessie was real, but hard to see how such a creature would really thrive in the confines of a lake, large or not. Maybe some kind of creature was once there long ago (even if not a Nessie), but something large becoming landlocked in a lake doesn't bode well for the gene pool.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #48
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I definitely believe in ghosts and aliens. To think humans are the only intelligent life form in all the universe is just ridiculous. I know ghosts are harder to explain but all the weird, supernatural stuff people have experienced can't all be wrong.

We lived in house once that I totally believe is haunted. We only lived there for like 3 months because of a bug problem. We had spiders, roaches and such like every day but that was a separate issue.

Every single night I'd hear the same loud crashing noises around the same time. 2-3am. My family heard something hit the wall from the outside in the middle of the night once too. Of course nothing was out of place when we'd check things out.

Even here in our current house we've heard unexplainable noises a few times. Though these were more like isolated situations. Nothing like the other house.

Once there was very distinct knocking against the side of the couch years ago. My family was just watching TV and I was in my room across the hall but I heard it too.

I'm sure others have experienced worse but yes I believe in ghosts, evil entities, unrestful spirits etc.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:37 AM   #49
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I’m not sure if there are aliens or not. I suspect that if there are, we will probably never meet them. To paraphrase the Fermi Paradox: If interstellar travel is possible, probability suggests that a more advanced intelligences would have already figured it out. We haven’t seen any, so maybe it’s not possible, or maybe there are no advanced intelligences.

If advanced alien life does exist however, there could be a lot of reasons why we don’t know about it. We take it for granted that an alien intelligence would resemble our paradigm of intelligence. Maybe they don’t think in a way that would lead them to interstellar travel in the first place.

Also, a lot of the models we use to predict the existence of alien life don’t factor in the shear improbability of life existing on our planet. They basically take it as granted that if it happened once, it can happen again, but that isn’t a certainty.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:58 AM   #50
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well whether any aliens are "advanced" is a separate question. I'm positive aliens exist because earth being the only planet in all the universe to have intelligent life is extremely unlikely.

Assuming they are advanced, to some extent, I'm sure earth has been visited already. They just haven't officially revealed themselves. Maybe the government has proof or they've chosen to only observe us.

Every UFO/Alien encounter can't be false. I don't know that aliens are anything like we seen in movies but I hope they are. Not hostile but really technologically advanced.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #51
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProactiveMan View Post
I’m not sure if there are aliens or not. I suspect that if there are, we will probably never meet them. To paraphrase the Fermi Paradox: If interstellar travel is possible, probability suggests that a more advanced intelligences would have already figured it out. We haven’t seen any, so maybe it’s not possible, or maybe there are no advanced intelligences.

If advanced alien life does exist however, there could be a lot of reasons why we don’t know about it. We take it for granted that an alien intelligence would resemble our paradigm of intelligence. Maybe they don’t think in a way that would lead them to interstellar travel in the first place.

Also, a lot of the models we use to predict the existence of alien life don’t factor in the shear improbability of life existing on our planet. They basically take it as granted that if it happened once, it can happen again, but that isn’t a certainty.
I got really interested in the Fermi paradox a while back. Kurzgesagt (a YouTube channel) did a couple good videos on it

The Drake Equation is commonly used weigh all the factors that would go into estimating the probability of alien life.

where N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone)

and

R* = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy
fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets
ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets
fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point
fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)
fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space
L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space

So yeah, pretty astronomical odds, and with the universe being comprised of potentially infinite spacetime, its hard to say definitively that we will ever make contact with another intelligent alien species.

but of course, this is all conjecture based on our most current understanding
Old 05-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #52
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
You seem really sure about that...

Some people would call that "bible BS" or just generic "religion BS"

Me personally, I feel that the mystery of the next stage of life after death is largely beyond our understanding. I do believe that reincarnation happens sometimes but not all the time. I don't think we can figure it out for sure though, at least not in this life.
Because I am sure. You can believe whatever hogwash bs fruity fictional tale you want, its your right, but I believe what I believe.

Reincarnation, now thats funny.... we have but One Life to live though... this one. None before it and none after it...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #53
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Because I am sure. You can believe whatever hogwash bs fruity fictional tale you want, its your right, but I believe what I believe.

Reincarnation, now thats funny.... we have but One Life to live though... this one. None before it and none after it...
Y'know, pretty sure Christ didn't go around telling sinners and non-believers they were full of hogshite and acting demeaning and superior. He was actually quite humble.

Except with the hypocritical religious authorities. Those he lit up.

Also, I'm disappointed that we've gone this many pages without anybody posting the History Channel "Aliens guy" meme.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #54
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Y'know, pretty sure Christ didn't go around telling sinners and non-believers they were full of hogshite and acting demeaning and superior. He was actually quite humble.

Except with the hypocritical religious authorities. Those he lit up.

Also, I'm disappointed that we've gone this many pages without anybody posting the History Channel "Aliens guy" meme.
He did go into the Temple and toss some tables around, so he wasn't exactly a pushover and he did tell people when they were wrong, that they were wrong.

You can believe whatever rubbish you want and rubbish is what it is. If you are so sure he didn't do things a certain way, why is it you believe that but don't believe that he died for your sins so you don't have to burn in hell?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #55
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
He did go into the Temple and toss some tables around, so he wasn't exactly a pushover and he did tell people when they were wrong, that they were wrong.

You can believe whatever rubbish you want and rubbish is what it is. If you are so sure he didn't do things a certain way, why is it you believe that but don't believe that he died for your sins so you don't have to burn in hell?
1. The temple was run by the Pharisees, aka those religious hypocritical authorities I mentioned.

2. At no point have I said what I do or don't believe regarding Christianity or religion in general. But I've got quite a background of experience, so when I'm saying what I believe he did and didn't do, know that I'm basing that belief on what I've read. From the source, aka ol' King Jimmy.

3. What I believe or don't believe doesn't matter to this point; but when you're trying to witness or share your faith, knocking down the other guy to say "How could you believe such an obvious crock of crap, you poor ignorant fool"... you're doing more harm than good.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #57
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
1. The temple was run by the Pharisees, aka those religious hypocritical authorities I mentioned.

2. At no point have I said what I do or don't believe regarding Christianity or religion in general. But I've got quite a background of experience, so when I'm saying what I believe he did and didn't do, know that I'm basing that belief on what I've read. From the source, aka ol' King Jimmy.

3. What I believe or don't believe doesn't matter to this point; but when you're trying to witness or share your faith, knocking down the other guy to say "How could you believe such an obvious crock of crap, you poor ignorant fool"... you're doing more harm than good.
I didn't call anyone a fool... Their actions or beliefs foolish maybe, sure...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #58
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Dude. I know I'm a dick, but I try to be a self-aware dick.

Read your last few posts and pretend you're a Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, or atheist. Do you feel like Christianity is A) maybe the answer you've been looking for, or B) full of self-righteous prigs?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 AM   #59
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
No, but you're definitely coming across as an ass. So much for "turn the other cheek". Whatever, have fun with your fairy tales
Old 05-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #60
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
o.O Got a couple kid ghosts lurking around there, do ya? Nobody playing with your figures when you aren't looking?

If ghosts were to have any basis in reality, gotta say... not a peep from my father in the almost year and a half that he's been gone. Although the auto parts store he as working at for his 'retirement job,' where my brother-in-law still works, has contributed various odd things to him. The weirdest prob being that the remaining driver supposedly, according to her, in the first several months following his death had found the radio station changed in the company truck a number of times, left on channels she didn't listen to and hadn't last left it on, but he'd have often left it on when he'd go deliver a part. (Supposedly the radio stations had been some play battle between them as drivers.) Second hand story, so do I believe it... I dunno. But she was the sole driver for a while after he passed and was, according to my bother-in-law, the only one using the truck at that time.

UFOs... Seen a couple odd things when I was 10.

Picture this. At about age 10 in early 1990 you had gone to bed. It's dark out, your lights are off, and you decide to have a look out the window. There are two objects up in the sky just kind of hanging there in the air unmoving. (A little distance to the south, not overhead.) They appear to be sold objects, possibly kind of round with a row of lights along the sides. Two of them, just sitting there in the air side by side. Silent. They're clearly not stars, and you damn well known airplanes can't hover and helicopters are noisy and have fewer lights... and certainly not in a line like that.

These objects sat there for a little bit. (While I half hid behind my curtain, afraid they would somehow see me. ) After a time, the one on the left just slowly moved off to the east then disappeared from view behind the roof of our back porch. The other sat there a short time longer, than slowly went west. Still no sound.

Seriously, what was that? In 1990. In northern Delaware. We're kind of the farthest thing possible from being any hotbed of secret military stuff, far from it. But it's hard to believe it would be just someone's toys either, not with the apparent height in the air and size they must have been... plus length of time just sitting there unmoving in silence.

Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland is prob the nearest military base, but that's still a reasonable distance. The only thing local of our own is the local National Guard simply keeps a few of the big C-130s at a small local airport. (There's the Dover Airforce Base in this state, but that's even further away.)

My mom was always like, "It was probably just a dream." No... I was a smart kid, before going back to bed I grabbed my journal and wrote down and drew what I saw, so I've got proof it wasn't a dream.

I have long wished to find some old report of it online, for some kind of answer or a claim from someone else having seen it.

Kid ghosts? Possibly. And as a matter of fact yes some of the figures on my desk DO fall over for no reason occassiionally. Always when those two shadows show up. Not bumped- just suddenly topple off their perch.

Hmm those two objects COULD have been satellites that were orbiting- sometimes on especially clear nights you can see one or two and they can appear to be much closer than they are. But who knows? Maybe ET came back for another visit....

Quote:
Well, there is a "time limit". You die and its either hell or Heaven. That moment. No playtime as ghost dad. No chillen unseen with your homies. Thats all tv/movie bs...

No, not tv/movie bs. I am talking about actual accounts spanning all of history and even the Bible mentions visitations from spirits and supernatural events. Call them miracles if you like but voices and objects doing thing they shouldn't are nothing new in the Bible. Men who appear and disappear seemingly at will, etc.... You believe so stringly in what is written in a book and then discount incidents that are described very similarly? Interesting. My own study of all things "supernatural" or occult covers far more than just garden variety movie ghosts seeking revenge or forgiveness or whatever. As for going instantly, then explain why it tells in Revelations that the dead shall rise up THEN!! As in they have been sitting there waiting for the Rapture to go to heaven. That makes no sense if they are already rhere!! And that is just ONE reference that clearly contradicts what you just said about it being instant.

Quote:
Can I "respect" a wrong viewpoint? I can ignore it, but thats not the same. And I didn't beat anyone down. You are free to believe whatever you want, but that doesn't mean its right. I didn't attack anyone, just made the statement that a time frame after death is null. You die, thats it. Game over. We are having a back and forth conversation and the forums are open to all comments. She responded to something I wrote, so I responded to what she wrote. I was further claryfying what I originally said. Its what i believe and again, anyome is free to learn from it or completely ignore it.

Now, if you want me to "beat you down" or whatever, feel free to PM me and we can have a chat about sin and eternal damnation. That would be off topic to discuss here. Haha

See, this is where the supposed superiority of one belief over another gets confused with "fact". We do not KNOW whose view is right or wrong unless we were to walk up to a Supreme Being/Power and ask. Since we can't really do that, it is presumptious to assume one's own view is the only possible "right" one and that another is automatically "wrong". They are called BELIEFS for a reason- they cannot be fully or accurately tested or proven one way or another- no matter what book we may get them from.

Quote:
Based on statistics, I'm positive there is alien life out there somewhere. But has it visited us? I don't know. I do know that some really crazy things have happened on earth, and some people have had some really interesting encounters. It's also statistically likely that some UFO sightings have just been experimental aircraft (don't say "I believe in UFOs" or "I don't believe in UFOs" because literally all that term means is there was something in the sky that was not readily identified. If you're actually discussing the likelihood of alien life existing or having visited our planet then use the proper term, extraterrestrials, or just "aliens"). I have read a lot of crazy stuff about secret governments that have made contact with and entered into agreements with extraterrestrial/extradimensional lifeforms, and it's interesting to think about even if the veracity of the claims is dubious. I could talk for a while about the claims peple have made that aliens exist and have built deep underground bases or that the earth is hollow or that there are terrestrial beings that live within the earth. I don't think physics supports the hollow earth theory but it's a fun Jules Verne-type idea to think about.

As for ghosts, I think there are a few different scenarios. One, that emotions or events can sometimes leave impressions on our world that ripple throughout time, which lead to most ghost sightings or the witnessing of scenes from the past. Then there's the cases where a deceased person seems to interact with loved ones or objects or sometimes even random people (like a new family that's moved into a house) from beyond the grave. Is this likely? I don't know. Possible, maybe. I think it's fair to say that there are limits to current science and science will even admit that there are things it cannot measure and things that we don't even know we dot know yet, so there's always room for us to improve our understanding of the world. Then there's cases with very strange entities that do not seem to be of this world. Again, I think that science has limits and what may seem mystical or improbable is at least possible. I'm skeptical of most accounts and hauntings (because I think people's minds are often more powerful than they realize and they can fall victim to their own superstitions) but I recognize the need to keep an open mind.

What about cryptids? I think some of them are definitively bullsh!t but the chances are pretty damn good that there are plenty of species we haven't discovered yet. There was one book on some of the more famous cryptids that I always used to check out from the library when I was a kid. Ogopogo, Mothman, thunderbirds, the ghost cat of DC, sasquatch, the Goatman, living dinosaurs in remote jungles. Some of them I'm positive are not real but others I still wonder about

So much all of this! I see you have an interest in the strange and unusual. Welcome to the club! Heh, cryptids- there's a subject I don't get to discuss often!

Quote:

My past selves say hello. I have memories of at least three of them. Going back as far as early spear-hunters in Europe. Getting gored by a huge boar in the leg. Another in Tuscany in the Middle Ages. As a tavern server. And a Southern slave. And one in Gaul as a Roman soldier who hunted down escaped slaves but eventually deserted and was hunted in turn. These are memories as real and detailed as any from this life.

There is so much we do not know or understand about our own world and our own existence, that we may never learn. The quote in my siggy says it all- science has only scratched the surface; there is so much left to be revealed!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote