The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #21
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
2/10
You've done better in the past.

I'm curious, where is the outrage about censorship here?
Why aren't The Usual Suspects complaining about how detrimental this is to both art and the film industry?
Because this really isn't that big of a deal. It's not like Sony isn't releasing the actual cuts.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:17 PM   #22
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Seems dumb but whatever. Kids always end up watching unedited or R rated movies anyway. My parents let me. I think a lot do.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:01 AM   #23
Shark_Blade
Emperor

We already have "Clean Version" of songs on itunes so a bit surprised it took them so long to get the clean version for movies.

Anyway, movie censoring is for wimps.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #24
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
2/10
I'm curious, where is the outrage about censorship here?
Why aren't The Usual Suspects complaining about how detrimental this is to both art and the film industry?
Cmon PC, you're smarter than that.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 AM   #25
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I bet they cut the heavy petting out of Crouching Tiger but leave the blade embedded in that guy's head. What a bunch of sellouts, but I guess you get desperate when you're broke.
ProactiveMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #26
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Seems dumb but whatever. Kids always end up watching unedited or R rated movies anyway. My parents let me. I think a lot do.
My dad showed me Terminator 2 when I was maybe nine or so, and my mother gave me a steady diet of Hitchcock films. I could watch Psycho, but not the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:32 AM   #27
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Cmon PC, you're smarter than that.
It's not like I didn't know the answer, I was just curious to see how i many ways it would be spun.

This is literally a move to appease to a vocal minority seeking a safe space. And yet... So quiet.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #28
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
It's not like I didn't know the answer, I was just curious to see how i many ways it would be spun.

This is literally a move to appease to a vocal minority seeking a safe space. And yet... So quiet.
Overprotective parents aren't trashing college campuses.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #29
plastroncafe

You clearly don't work in academia.
They do, and they are.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

As long as there's the ability to watch the REAL version, I don't mind. I was irritated on a flight last year. I watched Bad Moms, the whole damn thing... it was horrible, ghastly, and painfully unfunny and oddly super sanitized of anything that could be remotely construed as "objectionable." I was very confused as to why they'd make a movie like this, clearly intended for older women, as PG-13.

Then I went home and saw it was an R movie. Then it became clear: the only version available on the plane was an edited-to-be-clean version, apparently, and there was no warning at all that I had been watching a FAKE version. <---- now, this kind of stuff is shifty.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #31
plastroncafe

HA!
My mother had a similar thing happen to her when she went to Walmart and bought a cd, only to find the entire thing was a *Radio Edit*.
She was bull$hit, stormed back to the store and demanded a refund.

I'm pretty sure it was an album by Kid Rock.

So now I'm wondering, how will these be labelled.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #32
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:

No, I don't think you do. I certainly didn't hear anyone crying about filthy Sony movies. This is just a market based experiment aimed at a certain demographic. What do I care if the puritans among us want to watch a curse-free Ricky Bobby?

The real versions of all these movies are still readily available. So they're not treading on the artistic integrity of them (anymore than the studio already has at least), and they're not ruining it for everyone else who isn't interested in the training wheels cut.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
HA!
My mother had a similar thing happen to her when she went to Walmart and bought a cd, only to find the entire thing was a *Radio Edit*.
She was bull$hit, stormed back to the store and demanded a refund.

I'm pretty sure it was an album by Kid Rock.

So now I'm wondering, how will these be labelled.
That's so stupid. Why would anyone want to go and pay money out of their pocket to buy an album CD that's been edited for toddlers? Like a gift from parents to their kid? I'd give it right back to them.

The planes thing, I'm pretty sure it's because they're afraid that the kid sitting next to me might look over and see Mila Kunis' boob on my screen or something. But I definitely wouldn't have watched it at all if I'd known it was edited like that. Who knows, the movie with all the R stuff put back in it might have been OK? I'll never know, because I refuse to risk it again after suffering through the edited one.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #34
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:

because ultimately these things have always been around, now Sony is just being open about it.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:42 AM   #35
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Looks like the pressure from the Directors Guild has convinced Sony to amend their plans a little...they will no longer distribute a clean version if a director objects to their film's inclusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...es-film-makers
ZariusTwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:28 PM   #36
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Looks like the pressure from the Directors Guild has convinced Sony to amend their plans a little...they will no longer distribute a clean version if a director objects to their film's inclusion.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...es-film-makers
Good. I wouldn't want my final product edited all to hell so that some person who says "heinie" can show one of these films to their kid, or watch it themselves, which is even more appalling

Like, what will some of these movies even be once they're sanitized? In the case of Ghostbusters, I can't see them removing much other than maybe the paranormal blowjob scene and that one time where Venkman says "prick" or whatever. Not exactly drastic changes, to be sure (especially since that BJ scene makes no sense since the scene that explained it was cut), but then again it seems so trivial that it's like, why edit it in the first place?

But who tf wants to see a sanitized version of Step Brothers?? I feel like that movie especially relied on the raunchy R-rated humor it contained. Without it, you just have a weird movie about two dudes who still live with their parents.

Edit: and Goosebumps is already rated PG! What more do they want??
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #37
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Good. Don't entertain those idiotic wimps.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #38
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I don't see what the big deal is. Isn't an option on the disc? As in, both versions on one disc? If that's the case, I don't see why people would be upset over options. If I'm wrong, then OK.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #39
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Isn't an option on the disc? As in, both versions on one disc? If that's the case, I don't see why people would be upset over options. If I'm wrong, then OK.
The way I'm reading it, it'll be a different product entirely. So unless you purposely buy the DVD marked as the sanitized version you wouldn't even own it. It's a non-issue.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #40
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The only problem I see is that these edited versions could become more common and then finding the unedited ones will be a hassle. Remember in the early DVD days when depending on the film it was sometimes difficult to find a widescreen release instead of fullscreen and that was annoying. But if we use the music analogy, it's definitely a lot more difficult to find edited versions of songs than unedited.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote