The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #2961
useasneeded4pain
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: KY
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Flying Turtlenecker View Post
Super7 themselves says that the wagon can hold up to six figures. Two in the front, and four in the back. Simple enough.
But then, why have they sculpted the seats in the back so that it looks like it can house up to six figures there? There are six seat belts.
I just think that's a really odd designs choice.
I don't think the longer benches are long enough to sit two Turtles on each one. The seatbelts look like sculpted details that are human-sized belts, and the only belt that's functional is the one on the door seat.
useasneeded4pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #2962
IMJ
Foot Elite
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Isn't that kinda apples and oranges? I can't say it feels comparable at all, nor have I really felt any desire to own any of those figures.
Sure, it might be like that, yeah. But it could also just as easily mean that the differences between the two lines wind up making the BST AXN stuff a better line than the NECA line.

You know..... if they look great - like the animated series, if they are quality build and they meet the market at a better price point, then at that point it's apples to apples completely. I mean, they are a little smaller scale? In some ways that might be even better - closer to 4" scale means better accessories, easier ability to display and store and even amass a large collection.

Essentially, if the BST AXN becomes a viable "animated styled line", then it's a solid comparison for sure. The scale difference just becomes part of the comparison conversation rather than a comparison ender.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #2963
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 13,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Flying Turtlenecker View Post
I am gonna nit-pick a little though when it comes to one of the desing choices for the wagon that I think it kinda odd.
Super7 themselves says that the wagon can hold up to six figures. Two in the front, and four in the back. Simple enough.
But then, why have they sculpted the seats in the back so that it looks like it can house up to six figures there? There are six seat belts.
I just think that's a really odd designs choice.
The shocking reveal... everyone in the Super7 Universe is actually a giant, too large for many of the conveniences of their own world.

That's a legitimately fair criticism, especially for a "Collector's Item" that costs $450/500 retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Flying Turtlenecker View Post
Two in the front, and four in the back.
When I read that I kept waiting for the punchline about "One in the glove compartment."
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #2964
j3h
Foot Soldier
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 185
It’s possible that two April-sized butts could fit next to each other where the sculpted seatbelts are on the double wide seat bench, but it would only comfortably accommodate 1 turtle-sized ass in its middle. So the sculpting could be scale accurate to petite humans, but mutants are too chunky to share, therefore reducing the sales pitch capacity count. Maybe when they get to the Nutrinos, the van can actually accommodate 6 in the back?
j3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:33 PM   #2965
Dask
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3h View Post
It’s possible that two April-sized butts could fit next to each other where the sculpted seatbelts are on the double wide seat bench, but it would only comfortably accommodate 1 turtle-sized ass in its middle. So the sculpting could be scale accurate to petite humans, but mutants are too chunky to share, therefore reducing the sales pitch capacity count. Maybe when they get to the Neutrinos, the van can actually accommodate 6 in the back?
S7 is just thinking ahead to accommodate April, Vernon and Irma.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #2966
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
That's exactly what it is.
And they cater to different segments of the market.
And that's perfectly okay.

Deep cuts, specific references, obscure characters/properties (smaller production runs) and multiple display options aren't everyone's thing. But if they are, expect to pay more.

I really do want more than mass-market product from the figures I add to my collection. Others want EXACTLY that. And neither ought be judged nor disparaged by the other.

Collect what you like.
I do agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Sure, it might be like that, yeah. But it could also just as easily mean that the differences between the two lines wind up making the BST AXN stuff a better line than the NECA line.

You know..... if they look great - like the animated series, if they are quality build and they meet the market at a better price point, then at that point it's apples to apples completely. I mean, they are a little smaller scale? In some ways that might be even better - closer to 4" scale means better accessories, easier ability to display and store and even amass a large collection.

Essentially, if the BST AXN becomes a viable "animated styled line", then it's a solid comparison for sure. The scale difference just becomes part of the comparison conversation rather than a comparison ender.
The style is pretty different, though. NECA's have, with a few exceptions (like April's weird proportions), been 1:1 screen accurate, but the AXN figures seem to be more based on what 90s merchandise had for designs. As for the scale... it doesn't seem like there is a scale. All figures are 4 inches. That doesn't mean 4 inch scale, but rather that all figures are that size regardless of if the character should be bigger or smaller than any of the others. This honestly, to me, feels more like a replacement for Playmates than a replacement for NECA or Super7. Which I guess might be needed now since Playmates really isn't what they used to be.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #2967
IMJ
Foot Elite
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
The style is pretty different, though. NECA's have, with a few exceptions (like April's weird proportions), been 1:1 screen accurate, but the AXN figures seem to be more based on what 90s merchandise had for designs. As for the scale... it doesn't seem like there is a scale. All figures are 4 inches. That doesn't mean 4 inch scale, but rather that all figures are that size regardless of if the character should be bigger or smaller than any of the others. This honestly, to me, feels more like a replacement for Playmates than a replacement for NECA or Super7. Which I guess might be needed now since Playmates really isn't what they used to be.
These are pretty solid points, man. But with that said, in the end it doesn't matter if someone still, in lieu of those points, walks from NECA and supports BST AXN instead. I mean, you aren't going to be able to explain that to someone disgusted with the NECA situation who then gravitates towards a better (perceived or otherwise) product line and have them not do it.

Years ago - like 2004 or so I was looking for a new car. At the time I was curious about either getting into a new Neon SRT-4 or a new Grand Prix GTP. I went to test drive the Neon and was told by the sales person that I couldn't "compare" the Neon to the Grand Prix and that if I wanted to talk about what they could do between the two cars, then I'd have to find a Pontiac comparable to the Grand Prix. That was idiotic beyond belief - that logic might make sense on the most pedestrian level, but any deeper thinker is going to tell you "wtf do I care if the GTP is a greater luxury class than the SRT-4? Wtf do I care about apples to apples if those are simply the two cars I'm considering? It doesn't matter - you still compare the two cars you want. It'd be like saying you have spending money and want a Motorcycle or a wave runner and comparing the two, and some idiot comes along and tells you that you can't do that and can only compare buying a motorcycle to a motorcycle. It doesn't matter if something is a 1:1 competitor given consumer "want". At that point I literally just left and literally just went and bought the GTP and it was an amazing car for those years.

It works in both directions too. For example, the people who continue to deal with the distribution issues, the long lock-up times for your pre-order money, the ridiculous price point for action figures, etc; don't care about any of that because right now the NECA line is the definitive looking Fred Wolf line. People are going to go where they feel the best value is. I love the way the NECA stuff looks, but better value for me is a more compact scale, a lower price point and at falls somewhere in between that 90%-100% appropriate "art direction". So yeah you made great points there. Personally though? I don't care - I want cheaper, smaller Fred Wolf action figures that are essentially "just as good".

I think for me, the most relevant of the observations you made are about the scale. And that is huge potential issue there - I don't want another TMNT set where the Turtles are just as tall as Casey Jones. If that turns out to be true of the BST AXN line, then BOOM! Instant deal breaker for me. The goofballs at Hasbro just did that same mistake with what would have been an AMAZING Transformers line, but they f'd the whole thing up and I dropped the line immediately - they released Bumblebee in the highly articulated, robot-only R.E.D. line and he was the same height as Optimus, Megatron, Soundwave, etc. Instant drop of the entire line.

Last edited by IMJ; 11-23-2021 at 12:30 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:07 PM   #2968
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,039
More photos of the Turtle Party Wagon: https://mobile.twitter.com/super7sto...54799684669445
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:58 PM   #2969
teemu
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
More photos of the Turtle Party Wagon: https://mobile.twitter.com/super7sto...54799684669445
Still $200 too high
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #2970
italianice388
Hench Mutant
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 472
anyone have any news on wave 4? god damn, what a wait...
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:19 PM   #2971
teemu
Hench Mutant
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
anyone have any news on wave 4? god damn, what a wait...
Just that they have half the wave already and that they are shipping very,very,very soon as per Flynn
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #2972
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,039
$10 Mutagen Man on the NTWRK app: https://mobile.twitter.com/preternia...83325087412227
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #2973
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Stone Warrior
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
These prices seem too good to be true. Though the comments are saying these are all already sold out anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:57 PM   #2974
IMJ
Foot Elite
 
IMJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Midwest, U.S.A.
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
These prices seem too good to be true. Though the comments are saying these are all already sold out anyway, so I guess it's a moot point.
They might show up pretty discounted in BBTS. Pretty much the entire MOTU ReAction line was there about a month just as widely discounted as those TMNT were in that app....

-edit- I just picked up 12 of the Super 7 TMNT through that app - five bucks each, amortized to 7.69 each after shipping. I've rejected the Super 7 line because the price sucks, but I'm willing to pay that for sure. I guess we will see if they show up as promised now.

Last edited by IMJ; Today at 08:08 PM.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.