The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

My brother's not working

My family and I are trying to get my younger brother to start working but he seems to refuse to. I talked to him about it and it just lead to a big argument. He wanted to finish school first and is content with not making money but our Mother was getting frustrated with giving him money. He finally finished school but he's still not looking for a job because he's once again content. All he does is sit in the house and watch videos on TV. He got a degree in Game Design but I'm not sure if he's looking for a job in his field.

I'm not sure what to tell him. He still asks for money from other people.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Soooo he finished school, got his degree but isn't looking for work? Your parents have to be the ones to put their foot down if he's not at least trying.

It sounds like he has all the groundwork laid, now he's at the stage where he has to start applying and putting in effort to get employed.

You said you are "not sure" if he is looking for a job in his field... well if you don't know all the details, it's hard to know for sure what is going on. Again, if he's living at home your parents have to push him to keep moving forward if he's not doing it on his own. It is part of their jobs as parents to make sure he can become self-sufficient.

I can see this being a problem for some people if the living situation at home with their parents is already fulfilling all of their needs. They aren't thinking about the future the way they should, and only see the here and now where they are already provided for. But that isn't going to be forever. If your parents allow it to go on then there might not be much you can do.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:26 AM   #3
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

My Mom has told him that he has to get a job but he's still not looking. I told her that she needs to stop giving him money but she still does. She even lets him borrow her car since he doesn't have one.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:28 AM   #4
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Well who is giving him money? They have to stop, unless the money is to help pursue a job opportunity.

Mom should tell him he has to start paying rent, that should light a fire under his ass.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah, same view here, stop giving him money, then he might feel more desire to earn some of his own.

Just a general view (not a speculation on your situation) but there needs to be a balance of helping your children though study/starting out in life but then encouraging them to stand on their own two feet if looks like this is not going to happen. I mean at any point we help those we care about if they need it, there is just a difference between someone who will help themselves but find themselves being in need and those who just don't want to help themselves (again not directed at your situation which I know nothing about)

Last edited by newfan; 08-06-2019 at 05:52 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 AM   #6
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Our Mom is giving him $50 a week so he can pay for himself. Our Dad, who doesn't live with us, will give him money whenever he needs more and sometimes call me up to loan him money. Like around $10-20. If I don't give it to him, he lectures me on why my brother needs it even though he too believes he needs to get a job.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:49 AM   #7
CyberCubed
Overlord

I noticed you haven’t said how old he is. Since you say he has a degree I assume early 20’s? If so maybe he just wants to relax a bit before getting into the workforce permanently. If he’s older than that then he seems like your typical lazy millennial who just wants to live with his parents for awhile and play video games all day.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #8
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I noticed you haven’t said how old he is. Since you say he has a degree I assume early 20’s? If so maybe he just wants to relax a bit before getting into the workforce permanently. If he’s older than that then he seems like your typical lazy millennial who just wants to live with his parents for awhile and play video games all day.
You sure LOVE to know about ages, lol.

But he's definitely the latter.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:03 AM   #9
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Well age does make a big difference in this case.

If he were like 21 fresh out of college vs. 27... that's not an insignificant difference when it comes to being full-time employed.

Yeah he definitely needs to start earning his keep.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 AM   #10
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

He's 27, so yeah we're trying to get him to work before he hits 30.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

He should get a job before 28. 30 is too generous.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

Way too old to not be supporting himself. Or at least trying to.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:02 AM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

It’s funny back in “the old days” parents were expected to kick their kids out of the house by the time they were 18, and if they weren’t married with kids and had a house at the age of 22 they were, “behind in life.”

Our generation doesn’t have that luxury, because rent and houses are incredibly expensive and us “millennials” are known to be lazy slackers. I remember people still living with their parents in their 20’s used to be considered “losers with no lives who live in their parents basement” but that’s actually not true anymore. The sheer mass of young people still living with their parents till 30 or even older is common now. It really is a generational thing from our parents generation. Back in the 90’s you would never see this.

Still it is odd for someone in their late 20’s to not be trying to find work. I mean if he were trying and couldn’t get a job that’s a different story. When I was out of work it took me like a year and a half to get a job again because I didn’t want to do any low level cashier type work between jobs, and luckily I didn’t have to.

Of course these days people make money off of YouTube, streaming on twitch, or drawing on paetreon. God I can’t believe how much the world has changed even since the early 2000’s.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #14
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
It’s funny back in “the old days” parents were expected to kick their kids out of the house by the time they were 18, and if they weren’t married with kids and had a house at the age of 22 they were, “behind in life.”

Our generation doesn’t have that luxury, because rent and houses are incredibly expensive and us “millennials” are known to be lazy slackers. I remember people still living with their parents in their 20’s used to be considered “losers with no lives who live in their parents basement” but that’s actually not true anymore. The sheer mass of young people still living with their parents till 30 or even older is common now. It really is a generational thing from our parents generation. Back in the 90’s you would never see this.

Still it is odd for someone in their late 20’s to not be trying to find work. I mean if he were trying and couldn’t get a job that’s a different story. When I was out of work it took me like a year and a half to get a job again because I didn’t want to do any low level cashier type work between jobs, and luckily I didn’t have to.

Of course these days people make money off of YouTube, streaming on twitch, or drawing on paetreon. God I can’t believe how much the world has changed even since the early 2000’s.
I think you're right, that it has become more difficult for a young person to support themselves. Maybe it's a question of whether it is worth it worth it to move out of your parents house and support yourself, when you can save so much money living at home. Is there an ethical issue to living with your parents? I'm not sure.

I do think a lot of it does have to do with laziness though. I live in the San Francisco East Bay and have been supporting myself, without a college degree, since I was 22. If I can do it...
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #15
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yeah simply living with your parents is not the same thing as living off them with no intention to do anything else. Study is expensive and so is cost of living, saving for rent deposits or mortgage deposits etc.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Yeah and I have no hope in either of my parents to try and convince him to get a job because deep down they're too soft with him. They spoil him.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #17
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Sounds like a good time for some brotherhood bonding time via brawling. A good punch or two oughta knock some sense into him.

Take away the tv and change the WiFi password too, that’d show him. Let him suffer till he see the light.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
CyberCubed
Overlord

We’re talking about a 27 year old man not a 15 year old teenager. I don’t think things work that way.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:41 PM   #19
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Have you tried turning him off and on again?
Old 08-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #20
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Since he's an adult now, there is really no legal obligation on your parent's part to let him stay.

I don't think there's any other better motivator to go out there and work than having to avoid the streets, but it can be admittedly really hard to kick your own offspring out.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote