The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #2881
Vegita-San
Foot Elite

After a few months of being banned, I realize I don't miss the Replica Prop Forum as much as I thought I would. It really did feel like a cult like atmosphere, and I guess you don't realize how much until after you leave.
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:57 PM   #2882
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Got my hair cut back up to about shoulder length. Had gotten rather long again since the last similar cut in April of last year. Usually I get it done roughly ever other year, but as tangled as it's been getting lately and now the static at work is starting and not help matters, I up and decided yesterday that maybe I'd get a lot of the length taken off today.

I kinda feel a little bad about doing it, maybe partly as it will likely be the last cut of my 30s and lord knows what time will want to do to the color in the next decade, so it almost feels a little like getting rid of what I should be appreciating what I still have in that regard... BUT, with the hardest period of working in retail starting up very soon (and already getting a little busier), I figured it would be a lot easier to deal through the holidays at this length.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #2883
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist

Spoiler:

❤ I love Plumprimo! ❤
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #2884
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Plaid? That's cultural appropriation, dammit! lol (No really though...)

Anyhow, happy maker...

Only recently did I find out what GEDmatch.com is and finally got the chance to check it out today after uploading the files yesterday evening.

If you've done one of the genealogy DNA tests but haven't checked out GEDmatch yet, it is a must. An awesome free crossroads between people who have done tests with different DNA/genealogy companies and uploaded the raw data (into GEDmatch) from the DNA test provided by them. Love that it can show you more of what's hiding in your results than what the test companies limit it to. (i.e. Smaller trace amounts that Ancestry.com didn't mention. Very interesting.) And the ability to compare results with other users and find more cousins is awesome.

Not so sure if this will really help with my roadblocks, but how knows.

Annnnd.... As long as they don't change it on me, it looks like my manager gave me off for Thanksgiving (the store opens at 6pm to midnight) and not into work Black Friday until 10am (though it reopens at 5am). Considering the team I'm part of, and had to help with a lot of sale signs last year, I don't know how that even happened, but I can really deal with that.

Last edited by IndigoErth; Yesterday at 06:26 PM.
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #2885
Katie
The Anti-Girl

That sounds Awesome! I love genealogy stuff. Such interesting people to find out about.

I just wish there was a better resourse for tracing my Creek ancestors. I can only go back a couple of hundred years on them and only because of reservation and Indian School records. I wanna know more than that version of those ancestors!

Then there’s my tri-racial ancestors who are half white half Creek who married runaway slaves. I have two of those direct ancestors, and they lived waaaaaaay in the hills. No paper records there either. :-/
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #2886
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

I'm pretty sure I have Mohawk ancestry, in a great-great-great(-great?) grandmother. Whose grave was very difficult for my aunt to find. Of course, it was under an English name. I'm also pretty sure the only thing in me genetically that remains from that family ancestry is the thickness of my hair.
Old Today, 03:19 PM   #2887
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Definitely commended if you guys have done one of the DNA tests or ever do. I'm kind of envious now and want to do my own eventually so I can see how that turns out! (For now I just have my mom's and an uncle's - dad's brother - to look at.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie View Post
That sounds Awesome! I love genealogy stuff. Such interesting people to find out about.

I just wish there was a better resourse for tracing my Creek ancestors. I can only go back a couple of hundred years on them and only because of reservation and Indian School records. I wanna know more than that version of those ancestors!

Then there’s my tri-racial ancestors who are half white half Creek who married runaway slaves. I have two of those direct ancestors, and they lived waaaaaaay in the hills. No paper records there either. :-/
Yeah, I know what you mean, the paper trail only goes so far which kinda sucks and even the earliest census stuff isn't really worth barely squat.

One of my most frustrating dead ends though is as recent as a great grandmother. Not sure if she really was orphaned, or if she was just given up, or what... I've found her on a census at age 15 (as a "servant" of the couple family story claims she was adopted by - I suspect now that it wasn't a official adoption but they appear to have remained close), but before then... she may as well have been dropped here by space aliens. Not a clue what her heritage was or who her real parents were. (I hope her maiden name is at least accurate.) If I could find some kind of clue via this that would be so awesome...

I haven't spotted a tool on GEDmatch specifically just for North America/the Americas that might pinpoint it better or even just a region (I wish... maybe someday?), but it does have quite a few tools for different charts, graphs and whatnot to run it through, esp in the Admixture section and is pretty fun. (Despite the name, I have found (so far) that the Eurogenes tool, esp K12 and 13, is a really good one and not limited to European genes.)

Using "Admixture Proportions by Chromosome" it will give you a chart of the 22 chromosomes it looks at and gives you the percentages of different ethnicities that make up each chromosome.

Funny thing is, my mom had been told by a second(?) cousin that there is supposedly Choctaw on that side (no idea if that's accurate), though her Ancestry.com test didn't show any, so she figured it may just not be true like many people, but it's not much so Ancestry probably ignored it while GEDmatch found it in there after all. Along with some other very interesting unsuspected ones, I had some cool stuff to show her later. But looking at both hers and my uncle's just really goes to show that the genetics of most humans is very international. I think these tools are able to look back much farther than the basic testing does which is pretty cool. (The "Archaic DNA matches" will even compare it to available ancient DNA samples from different parts of the world!)

And if you find some inserting connections among users via the matches it makes, people's emails are right there.

edit: Oh yeah, and you can upload a saved file of family trees as well which it can then also look at to find matches of both names on trees and DNA of users.

Last edited by IndigoErth; Today at 08:04 PM.
Old Today, 08:58 PM   #2888
Spike Spiegel
Long-Legged Mack Daddy

I stopped by my local comic shop and found a marked down omnibus of Alias (the original comic series that introduced Jessica Jones to the Marvel Universe). It's out of print and goes for at least $100 used on Amazon. I bought it for $30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:17 PM   #2889
Utrommaniac
It only took 30 years

Things are getting better between Bubba and my sister-in-law's dog. Granted, that only lasted about a minute or two before Bubba decided that was too close and left. And came back once I was sitting on the couch again so I was between them.