The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #61
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Does anybody else think Infinity War might be the jumping of the shark for the MCU? I recently rewatched every movie and most of them still hold up pretty well, but the bigger these stories become the harder it is to pull off that balancing act.

Case in point, Avengers: Age of Ultron probably had the most large-scale story so far, and it was kinda bad, too big and bloated, but Captain America: Civil War had a ton of things going on and it did a much better job of telling a cohesive story.

All that said, I'm forever a Marvel fan so I'm probably more easy-to-please than the average movie-goer when it comes to these properties. I even feel like the movies have been doing a better job of telling stories than many of the Marvel comics these days
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:09 PM   #62
sdp
-

I think the quality will be relatively the same but that the B.O. will start to decline after it but that's more of a superhero movie fatigue.
sdp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #63
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
I even feel like the movies have been doing a better job of telling stories than many of the Marvel comics these days
Much as I loath most of the Marvel movies, you're not wrong there. The Comics wing of the brand is trash and has sustained some of it's worst critical and sales lows in recorded history since the 90s lately.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #64
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
The Comics wing of the brand is trash and has sustained some of it's worst critical and sales lows in recorded history since the 90s lately.
With good reason. Have you seen what they've been doing over the past few years? Shameful.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #65
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Case in point, Avengers: Age of Ultron probably had the most large-scale story so far, and it was kinda bad, too big and bloated, but Captain America: Civil War had a ton of things going on and it did a much better job of telling a cohesive story.
The difference there being Whedonisms vs. The competence of Markus and McFeeley. Those two really know the MCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
With good reason. Have you seen what they've been doing over the past few years? Shameful.
Things were looking up, years ago. Especially Waid's DD and Fraction's Hawkeye. But yeah, as of late... I was excited to pick up #1 of the new Hawkeye (starring Kate Bishop, one of my favorite characters ever), and it ended up featuring her going after an alt-right troll cyberbullying a queer college student journalist. Jeez.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #66
AquaParade
Banned

I thought the initial "Marvel Now" relaunch was full of exciting ideas and creative teams.

All of a sudden, I take a look at Marvel comics and wonder what happened. They really did have a promising new start in 2012/2013. Or so it felt like.

Their whole line is basically event-driven at this point. I'm not usually one to get up-in-arms; I'll just walk away and stop buying, but the current trend at Marvel is pretty insulting to fans. That's in regard to the amount of books being negatively affected by events, as well as the delays and extension of events. These events are selling but the reception is terrible and it's causing damage to the books surrounding it both quality and sales-wise.

That, and the way they seem to interact with fans online through social media. I understand that they deal with a lot of non-sense, but Axel and some of their other editors come off as petty/unprofessional in a lot of their responses to fan questions. It feels like they deal with a few bad eggs an decide to treat their whole fanbase like idiots.

Quote:
Could you be more specific if you have time? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on things they need to improve.

Last edited by AquaParade; 03-15-2017 at 03:18 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM   #67
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
I don't know where they get it (two heads better than one?) but the Russo brothers have a great penchant for managing large-scale ideas efficiently and effectively. They know how characters would and should interact and their editors are very good at bouncing the audience around before they get too bored of one thing.

Not Whedon. Hoooo-boy not Whedon. His fight scenes drag on, the dialogue is grating, and his characters seem very shallow because all he can ever attribute to them are numbskull quips.

Civil War has some problems, but none of them are as blatant or as confusing as Age of Ultron's. So glad he's not returning to the MCU. Being generous, I'd give AoU a 4/10, and the first Avengers a 6/10. Walked out of the theater very dismayed both times.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 PM   #68
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Their whole line is basically event-driven at this point
Sure looks like it. And it's not even, like, original events. It's all sequels to previous events.

"Civil War 2," "Secret Wars 22," "Infinity [insert random name, starring Thanos]."
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #69
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I think the quality will be relatively the same but that the B.O. will start to decline after it but that's more of a superhero movie fatigue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I don't know where they get it (two heads better than one?) but the Russo brothers have a great penchant for managing large-scale ideas efficiently and effectively. They know how characters would and should interact and their editors are very good at bouncing the audience around before they get too bored of one thing.

Not Whedon. Hoooo-boy not Whedon. His fight scenes drag on, the dialogue is grating, and his characters seem very shallow because all he can ever attribute to them are numbskull quips.

Civil War has some problems, but none of them are as blatant or as confusing as Age of Ultron's. So glad he's not returning to the MCU. Being generous, I'd give AoU a 4/10, and the first Avengers a 6/10. Walked out of the theater very dismayed both times.
I will say that I was left with a much better impression of Avengers: Age of Ultron when I watched it at home, and I could take breaks to get snacks or go to the bathroom or just take a breather. Seriously, a movie can only be so long before "more is more" is no longer true. It's all about balance. And I enjoyed the first Avengers right off the bat, but like I said I have a soft spot for Marvel

Quote:
Sure looks like it. And it's not even, like, original events. It's all sequels to previous events.

"Civil War 2," "Secret Wars 22," "Infinity [insert random name, starring Thanos]."
Yeah, these universe-spanning events have got to stop. But I don't even think I can go back to reading pretty much any Marvel comics anymore, the illusion has been shattered. Continuity is a lie in a universe that has gone on this long and where so much has happened but somehow all the characters are always returning to their status quo.

I like to read comics where things matter and the stories are driven as much by the characters as the events they find themselves caught up in
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:47 PM   #70
TheSkeletonMan939

I actually found AoU mercifully short, considering I had to pee the whole time in the theater and didn't want to miss anything.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #71
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah right. He isn't going anywhere. What's he going to run off and do? Snowpiercer 2: Still Piercing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Considering the money he's made from the Marvel movies?
Anything the man damn wants to.
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/chris-...aptain-america
Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #73
TheSkeletonMan939

That's something in the comics that never clicked with me. Why would she want to marry a robot? Where does Vision draw the proper sentience from to love? Is it the Infinity Stone in his head?

Anyway, I'm going to bet that Vision is going to bite the dust in this film, with his romance with Wanda being what is supposed to make me care.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #74
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Anyway, I'm going to bet that Vision is going to bite the dust in this film, with his romance with Wanda being what is supposed to make me care.
You think? We've just met him, really. I mean, Thanos gets that gem somehow but I don't know that that's the end of the road for him.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:28 PM   #75
TheSkeletonMan939

I don't think it's out of the question. Technically we've had the character since the very first Iron Man. I'm expecting that these films will, for the first time, have actual character deaths.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #76
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I don't think it's out of the question. Technically we've had the character since the very first Iron Man. I'm expecting that these films will, for the first time, have actual character deaths.
Quicksilver would like to have a word with you, sir. He's quite put out with your careless disregard for his own heroic sacrifice!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #77
TheSkeletonMan939

I have no sympathy for the inferior movie version of Quicksilver.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #78
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I didn't see that coming.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 PM   #79
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
Yeah, for real. X-Men Quicksilver is way better.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #80
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Yeah, for real. X-Men Quicksilver is way better.
You're only saying that because he has those bomb-ass goggles!

And, I guess, the fact that he's faster than bullets.

Tags
askthepolice, avengers cuck wars, avengers infinite sjws, captain americuck, cuckvengers, infinity cucks, thankyouquicksilver, the incredible cuck, whereisthelaser?