The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-29-2020, 03:34 AM   #121
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
This sucks I loved Thaddeus Plotz but I guess this fits with current Warner Brothers being run by women

Thaddeus Plotz will retire and not be present as a new female Latina CEO will take over the studio.
Seriously? I already mentioned my concerns earlier wondering about PC stuff for a more modern audience. I dislike this change already, unless she's going to be even more cheap and stingy than Plotz. lol

Hey, are they going to ditch Hello Nurse, by chance? That might be seen as sexist or something, even though her character in general is really smart and intelligent and educated.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #122
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post

Hey, are they going to ditch Hello Nurse, by chance? That might be seen as sexist or something, even though her character in general is really smart and intelligent and educated.
Hello Nurse won't be in this show neither will Slappy and Skippy squirrel Rita and Runt Mindy and Buttons the hippos etc

The goodfeathers are gonna cameo from what I read
Old 10-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #123
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's no way "Hellooooo, Nurse!" would fly in today's social climate. Not only are a bunch of boys drooling over a curvy blonde girl considered "sexist" in today's society, but also the sexualization of female nurses in general is a big no-no now.

Times have changed from the 90's.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #124
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Hello Nurse gets her Doctorate in Psychology and replaces Dr. Scratchansniff...

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #125
CyberCubed
Overlord

Something like this would never fly today:

Old 10-29-2020, 01:11 PM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

Kinda begs the question as to why they're bothering to bring stuff like this back if they're only gonna cut its balls off.

Do they really think that Yakko, Wakko and Dot making bad puns was the only reason anyone watched it originally, or something? Why bring anything back if most of what made it work is left on the cutting room floor for being "problematic"? It's dumb.

Also, it's a meme by this point, but I'm forever baffled as to how a generation raised on South Park all grew up to be such whiny, censoring pussies. It's like all the kids who got picked on in school took over everything and went about erasing anything that made them feel bad. Stupid.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #127
CyberCubed
Overlord

For example this used to be considered fine for kids cartoons in the 90's:

You won't see this nowadays outside stuff like adult comedies in Simpsons/Family Guy, etc. Unless it's a cartoon marketed for adults, it would be considered offensive nowadays.

Looking back, old cartoons got away with a LOT. This stuff even flew over my head when I was a kid.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #128
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

And....that's what made Animaniacs Animaniacs. There are SOOOO many jokes that I only got rewatching it as an adult. Heck, Looney Tunes cartoons from the 40's and 50's are loaded with "adult" jokes.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #129
Leo656
The Franchise

My wife was a huge Animaniacs fan and she's legit pissed that there won't be any Hello Nurse stuff. She thought that stuff was great.

If you're gonna bring stuff back only to neuter it, best to not even bother in my opinion.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #130
ssjup81
Foot Elite

You know, if I'm not mistaken, I think for the newer Powerpuff Girls show, they ditched Miss Bellum. I'm going to assume it's because they felt having her in the show would be sexist too. Her character was competent, strong, and intelligent. There's nothing wrong with a female character being pretty or whatever, but have other defining traits that characterize her. That's called actual progress, imo. Same goes for Hello Nurse. Her character is a "sexy nurse", but she's not an idiot, smart, has a bunch of degrees, etc. She was a good character and even though they would have Yakko and Wakko drool over her, they were equal with that because Dot did the same with male characters.

And no Slappy? She was one of my favs. I loved her pessimistic, dry-witted humor while blowing up or slamming others with dynamite and mallets. I also still like the Woodstock one with the Abbot & Costello bit. Skippy being Slappy's nephew was also a nice set up because of his being so positive and optimistic compared to the cynical Slappy.

As also mentioned, I really liked the Goodfeathers...but to be fair, I like the movie it's based off of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
My wife was a huge Animaniacs fan and she's legit pissed that there won't be any Hello Nurse stuff. She thought that stuff was great.
Yeah! I did too. Thought it was funny.
Quote:
If you're gonna bring stuff back only to neuter it, best to not even bother in my opinion.
This is what I was worried about when finding out about this show being rebooted because I doubt they'd be able to get away with the stuff they had back then in a modern setting. People get too triggered or offended these days over practically anything and everything...or something is viewed as racist (like the voice acting stuff) or sexist that wasn't years ago.

Welp, at least we have the original eps.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #131
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
You know, if I'm not mistaken, I think for the newer Powerpuff Girls show, they ditched Miss Bellum. I'm going to assume it's because they felt having her in the show would be sexist too. Her character was competent, strong, and intelligent. There's nothing wrong with a female character being pretty or whatever, but have other defining traits that characterize her. That's called actual progress, imo. Same goes for Hello Nurse. Her character is a "sexy nurse", but she's not an idiot, smart, has a bunch of degrees, etc. She was a good character and even though they would have Yakko and Wakko drool over her, they were equal with that because Dot did the same with male characters.

And no Slappy? She was one of my favs. I loved her pessimistic, dry-witted humor while blowing up or slamming others with dynamite and mallets. I also still like the Woodstock one with the Abbot & Costello bit. Skippy being Slappy's nephew was also a nice set up because of his being so positive and optimistic compared to the cynical Slappy.

As also mentioned, I really liked the Goodfeathers...but to be fair, I like the movie it's based off of. Yeah! I did too. Thought it was funny.This is what I was worried about when finding out about this show being rebooted because I doubt they'd be able to get away with the stuff they had back then in a modern setting. People get too triggered or offended these days over practically anything and everything...or something is viewed as racist (like the voice acting stuff) or sexist that wasn't years ago.

Welp, at least we have the original eps.

That's why I kinda wish they would just put their blinders on and keep the show going, ignoring anyone that's triggered, offended or wants to cancel it. Whenever interviewed, have whoever is head of the project said 'quite frankly if you're not offended, then we're doing something wrong'.

It's a shame cause Animaniacs would have been just the show for this, but I guess they got their balls cut too.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #132
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Yeah, Hello Nurse was a big part of the show that if cut would feel odd but I don't see them doing it. We are definitely in a phase of making female characters as unattractive as they can and make sure to point out that someone is gay. Most of the new cartoons I watch rea from Netflix, unsure if it's like that everywhere else with new cartoons or if it's just Netflix.

Aren't the wacko brothers also like crazy? That would also not fly today because think of people with real mental illnesses. They used to kiss pretty much everyone on the lips, I guess that's harassement too. I don't know the trailer seems to get the humor so I think they'll do a good job overall, I'm not terribly invested in animaniacs to care too much either. I just can't wait for this trend to go away and for "sexy" things to be allowed again in media.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:50 AM   #133
CyberCubed
Overlord

This would not fly today either:

Two young boys kissing a female nurse unwarranted on the cheek! This is sexual harassment these days.

How dare young boys kiss a female nurse like this? The show would be banned if something like this happened today.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #134
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Ren & Stimpy is up for cancellation because John Kay is a sleazoid more so than the content of the show itself. sure a lot of stuff that was in Ren and Stimpy may not fly with today's mores but it's mostly because the Creator is a scumball

Old 10-30-2020, 09:17 AM   #135
CyberCubed
Overlord

Even in anime like Dragonball Super, Master Roshi's antics of trying to flirt/grope women was heavily criticized when that episode aired in 2017 before the Tournament of Power.

In the original Dragonball Roshi got away with his antics all the time, in today's modern world it is not accepted.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:44 AM   #136
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Even in anime like Dragonball Super, Master Roshi's antics of trying to flirt/grope women was heavily criticized when that episode aired in 2017 before the Tournament of Power.

In the original Dragonball Roshi got away with his antics all the time, in today's modern world it is not accepted.
It probably wouldn't be in Japan, although I can't say because I've never watched Dragon Ball Super. Did they really tone stuff down? Flirting I don't have much of an issue with (if they're adult women...yeah he'll still be too old for them, but if they're adults, not too much of an issue as it's funny when he gets slapped or told off or whatever), but groping is definitely a line that should not be crossed.

Mutenroshi's character is a pervert through and through. His behavior isn't condoned within the show in general and the characters make it known and it's been that way since its original manga (1984) and the original anime series (1986). Dragonball is a bad example, I feel. Within Japan this probably wouldn't be something edited out because people there have enough common sense to know that his behavior is terrible, unacceptable, can get you arrested, and should not be emulated. Jiraiya from Naruto also comes to mind. He's a perverted guy, but his perverted antics are deemed and viewed as a bad thing within the universe it's set in, just like Roshi in Dragon Ball.

Last edited by ssjup81; 10-30-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #137
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
It probably wouldn't be in Japan, although I can't say because I've never watched Dragon Ball Super. Did they really tone stuff down? Flirting I don't have much of an issue with (if they're adult women...yeah he'll still be too old for them, but if they're adults, not too much of an issue as it's funny when he gets slapped or told off or whatever), but groping is definitely a line that should not be crossed.

Mutenroshi's character is a pervert through and through. His behavior isn't condoned within the show in general and the characters make it known and it's been that way since its original manga (1984) and the original anime series (1986). Dragonball is a bad example, I feel. Within Japan this probably wouldn't be something edited out because people there have enough common sense to know that his behavior is terrible, unacceptable, can get you arrested, and should not be emulated. Jiraiya from Naruto also comes to mind. He's a perverted guy, but his perverted antics are deemed and viewed as a bad thing within the universe it's set in, just like Roshi in Dragon Ball.
There was one episode based about it in Super, and the ep was heavily criticized by the west even though it's not much different than what happened in the original Dragonball run. And back then it was much worse, they don't show any nudity or underwear in modern Dragonball at all, and even blood during the fights/battles is very toned down.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #138
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Anime becoming mainstream in america was the worst thing that happened to anime. Shows that try to go for the american market get neutered and american companies grab the worldwide distribution rights and the rest of the world gets the crappy american dub when before other countries had better localizations.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:38 PM   #139
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Actually Dragonball Super got screwed cause it was shown in the mornings for the kids in Japan while DBZ was always aired during Japan's prime-time. I guess maybe Toe figured they're get more money if they made more kid-friendly, so in their case that's straight outta Japan and has nothing to do with America's stupidity.

As for Roshi. IDK. He did go overboard in this one. In Dragonball and Z, Roshi would usually ask for pervy requests and get clobbered for it, or he'd be sneaking a peak or sneaking a grope. 9 out of 10 times he'd actually fail but it was pervy cause you know exactly where he wanted his hands to be.

However in that Super episode, he was flat out chasing Yurin around trying to grab and grope her. IDK, it was like DB Roshi cranked up to 11. I've just never seen him so brazen and so bold about it. Like he legit never chased Bulma or Lunch around like that.

I wouldn't be surprised the American pussy snowflakes made a big deal out of it. But in Japan it's not a big deal. Like stated before, everyone knows it's wrong, it's character flaw, no one applauds him for it or anything, and Japanese kids aren't as stupid as American kids that don't know the difference between cartoons and real life.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 10-31-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:45 AM   #140
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There was one episode based about it in Super, and the ep was heavily criticized by the west even though it's not much different than what happened in the original Dragonball run. And back then it was much worse, they don't show any nudity or underwear in modern Dragonball at all, and even blood during the fights/battles is very toned down.
You know, blood stuff in general seems to be toned down compared to years ago. Detective Conan comes to mind. They toned down on the blood thing a lot from those earlier years (1994 for the manga/1996 for the anime). I think it is because of the censorship and more restrictions. I couldn't picture that first case in the series playing out all that well now in a modern setting. It would be censored more. That first case dealt with a guy being decapitated on a roller coaster. It was pretty much a geyser of blood in the manga, but for the anime, it was toned down a bit, but the implication was still there. The manga is also less bloody now with certain murder cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Actually Dragonball Super got screwed cause it was shown in the mornings for the kids in Japan while DBZ was always aired during Japan's prime-time.
My friend Aki told me that. I'd forgotten this. He has a year on me. He said he didn't watch Dragon Ball or Z much (he read it, though as a kid back then) and mentioned that Z came on in the evenings. I know while I was living there, Dragon Ball Kai aired on Sunday mornings. I just made the assumption that the series in general had a morning timeslot. Reruns of Z (while living there) could air at almost any time during the weekdays.
Quote:
As for Roshi. IDK. He did go overboard in this one. In Dragonball and Z, Roshi would usually ask for pervy requests and get clobbered for it, or he'd be sneaking a peak or sneaking a grope. 9 out of 10 times he'd actually fail but it was pervy cause you know exactly where he wanted his hands to be.

However in that Super episode, he was flat out chasing Yurin around trying to grab and grope her. IDK, it was like DB Roshi cranked up to 11. I've just never seen him so brazen and so bold about it. Like he legit never chased Bulma or Lunch around like that.
Wow, that sounds extreme even for Dragon Ball.