The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 AM   #9861
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I want to get a Nintendo Switch I really do but I can't justify the purchase with all the blunders Nintendo has done with the Switch and this is without mentioning that I already got burned with getting the Wii U when it launched.
-$300, expensive but acceptable until you realized Nintendo cut corners everywhere (no charging grip, 32gbs)
-no youtube/netflix/apps in general
-paid online and it being a mess when compared to Sony/Microsoft
-no miiverse/mii's
-a bad portable and a bad console instead of being the best of both worlds
-lackluster announcements and presentations that show Nintendo hasn't learned
-VC not even announced and counting their track record the best we can hope for is trickle releases and paying a "discount" again
-mynintendo service is complete and utter crap
-the Switch literally costs $500 in my country
-controller not having analog triggers
-pro controller being super expensive (does it have haptic rumble? If it does I'm ok with the price)

I like that Nintendo always does their own things but lately but it seems every time they do more and more anti-consumer and fan exploiting things that I just can't unless Nintendo shows their willing to do things correctly I won't be getting it.
Fair enough, but come March 3rd Ill be enjoying the Nintendo switch

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #9862
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nintendo just announced 4 new Fire Emblem games....LMAO.

There have been 8+ Fire Emblem games since 2013:

- FOUR (!) Fire Emblem games on 3DS
- FE waifu crossover on Wii-U
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Fire Emblem for Switch
- Fire Emblem Heroes for Mobile phones

Meanwhile Metroid hasn't had a real new game since 2010.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:42 AM   #9863
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueTurtle1 View Post
Fair enough, but come March 3rd Ill be enjoying the Nintendo switch
He has a point about Netflix and YouTube aps though. I wonder if it'll ever have those features.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 AM   #9864
Ninjinister
無問題

I'm pretty sure they just said no Netflix at launch, not no Netflix ever.

Also I know most people already have 1-2 devices that they can stream with and these same people are the ones who complain when a device doesn't... although I do gotta admit if Switch gets Netflix and Hulu I'mma do what I do with the Wii U gamepad and take it to bed with me to watch stuff.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:10 AM   #9865
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
He has a point about Netflix and YouTube aps though. I wonder if it'll ever have those features.
Wii U had it so I don't see why Switch wouldn't. I could see why Nintendo wouldn't necessarily make it a priority to get Netflix ready for launch when A: People want to play their new games immediately and B: People already have Netflix on tons of other devices. At one point I had it on my XB1, PS4, Wii U, 3ds, laptop, phone, and 2 smart tv's in the house. Although it is better "optics" up front to make people feel like they are getting "more than just a console" these days.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #9866
Powder
So tired of this place

Switch looks dope, but I'm in no rush to get one. My focus remains on their original titles, & even then it's only about half that I'm interested in buying. When they add another 1st party joint or two to the roster, DK, Pokemon, Kirby, etc. then I'll start saving my pennies. So far it's only Zelda & Mario that I want, & in the meanwhile I'm just gonna get Breath Of The Wild on Wii-U.

The console itself seems great, & I'm excited for it, but all of the deluxe ports got me a bit miffed. Why not have new versions of Rayman, Mario Kart, etc. up front? I own all that stuff already, & I don't intend to double dip. I'm sure they won't make the additional material DLC for the Wii-U versions, but it would be really nice if they did. Kinda feel a bit shat on as someone who supported the system, honestly. Not a whole lotta games, & now some of the ones that were good are gonna be even better... elsewhere. Hmmph. Oh well.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #9867
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah I basically wait a year to get new Nintendo systems now. I didn't get a Wii-U till 2013 (it came out in 2012), I didn't get it till the Wind Waker HD bundle came out.

I might pick up a Switch when Mario comes out in November though.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #9868
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah I basically wait a year to get new Nintendo systems now. I didn't get a Wii-U till 2013 (it came out in 2012), I didn't get it till the Wind Waker HD bundle came out.
So did I, but that's basically because Wind Waker HD was the first Wii U game that I was even interested in.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #9869
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I want to get a Nintendo Switch I really do but I can't justify the purchase with all the blunders Nintendo has done with the Switch and this is without mentioning that I already got burned with getting the Wii U when it launched.
-$300, expensive but acceptable until you realized Nintendo cut corners everywhere (no charging grip, 32gbs)
-no youtube/netflix/apps in general
-paid online and it being a mess when compared to Sony/Microsoft
-no miiverse/mii's
-a bad portable and a bad console instead of being the best of both worlds
-lackluster announcements and presentations that show Nintendo hasn't learned
-VC not even announced and counting their track record the best we can hope for is trickle releases and paying a "discount" again
-mynintendo service is complete and utter crap
-the Switch literally costs $500 in my country
-controller not having analog triggers
-pro controller being super expensive (does it have haptic rumble? If it does I'm ok with the price)

I like that Nintendo always does their own things but lately but it seems every time they do more and more anti-consumer and fan exploiting things that I just can't unless Nintendo shows their willing to do things correctly I won't be getting it.
Again, 300 dollars for a console at LAUNCH is not expensive. It's not like the Xbone or the PS4 when they were 500-600 dollars.

Last Movie Watched: Infested (2023).
Last TV Show Watched: Ghosts US (S1:E10).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #9870
sdp
Megan Fox = April

The fanboy attitude of "they don't owe you anything" couldn't be any less truthful, they do owe us who have stuck with Nintendo for so long through the worst times and they constantly abuse the hardcore fan. Nintendo has shown this in all its history. But With that said looks like the money I had reserved for the Switch will be going to building a kick ass raspberry pi console, the Switch can wait until Nintendo goes into panic mode after the failure of the console post-launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
I'm pretty sure they just said no Netflix at launch, not no Netflix ever.

Also I know most people already have 1-2 devices that they can stream with and these same people are the ones who complain when a device doesn't... although I do gotta admit if Switch gets Netflix and Hulu I'mma do what I do with the Wii U gamepad and take it to bed with me to watch stuff.
Quote:
See that's exactly it they've had how long to make these deals and have them ready for when they launch and look, nothing. We have to wait again just like we had to wait for years to get N64 games on the VC and no one cared anymore. Yeah Netflix/Hulu/etc are essentials on electronic devices now, I don't want to get out another device while I'm already using one it's ridiculous especially counting the Wii was the most used device for Netflix for a few years.

The worst part is the interview said "we want to focus on games not apps", what the hell kind of message is that, first they have very few games and while the "right now" implies it'll happen later (i.e. they're not ready), it will be how long? but no apps means they're closing any cool ideas people might want to come up with for the Switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Again, 300 dollars for a console at LAUNCH is not expensive. It's not like the Xbone or the PS4 when they were 500-600 dollars.
It is expensive, just because something launches doesn't mean it can be any price, this console is competing with the mentioned systems that you can find cheaper and with bundled games. This device is not doing enough to separate itself from the others like the Wii did and it's not showing enough/convincing people. Nintendo f-cked up big time with the Wii U and they had to work double to entice costumers and it seems they're doing the bare minimum. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and after the huge burn I got from the Wii U and seeing that Nintendo hasn't learned I think I'm going to have to wait it out until it's cheaper. I really want to support the company but not like this, they deserve lackluster sales again.

And again like I mentioned I would buy a Switch day one at $300 but when you realize that they have learned nothing from the failures of the Wii U then no it's not worth $300 because I did learn and I learned not to trust Nintendo as much as I may like the Switch or love the company since they have no regret in screwing the fans when things don't go their way because of terrible decisions.

Quote:

I might pick up a Switch when Mario comes out in November though.
And I think I'll do it, I waited for the NDS and it was a great decision when I finally got it I got the superior "lite" and a huge library of games for cheap. When I got the 3DS near launch what I got was a price drop not long after and no games until much later. When I got the Wii U at launch what I got was a slow system with no games, a tablet controller that didn't work if I moved from the room making the gimmick pointless and of course also got a $50 drop in price within a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Kinda feel a bit shat on as someone who supported the system, honestly.
That's exactly how I feel, I've been a loyal Nintendo costumer and they go out of their way to screw us over. Ok fine we stuck with them with the Wii U which had tons of problems that they never addressed but they don't even throw a bone at us to continuing to supporting them at their worst times. Was it that hard to give a discount to digital owners of the enhanced ports? Continuing the community on miiverse the diehard built up, the mii's people have been making for more than ten years, these things are small things that don't need to be focused on but wouldn't cost them a lot to implement and would keep their diehard fans happy instead of "sorry let's move on" and introduce another failing console, that's what drove Sega out of the hardware business and it'll happen to Nintendo.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #9871
CyberCubed
Overlord

Wii-U still had a great library, I own 15 games for it. That's enough for me.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #9872
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Wii-U still had a great library, I own 15 games for it. That's enough for me.
I only own six, and I'm actually fine with that. There's that thread asking if we'd ever grow out of video games where some people said that they'd just have less time for them. That made me realize that it's probably okay if I don't end up with a high amount of games for a system by the time its manufacturer ceases production on it.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #9873
CyberCubed
Overlord

Great Wii-U games:

Smash
Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
New Super Mario/Luigi U
Captain Toad
Yoshi's Wooly World
Paper Mario Color Splash
Mario Maker

Hyrule Warriors
Splatoon
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Kirby Rainbow Deluxe

Bayonetta 2
Xenoblade X
Wonderful 101

I also liked Starfox even though a lot of others didn't.

This was a fine lineup.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #9874
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I think Wii U had good games and more than I'll ever get to play the "droughts" don't really affect me but when you take into account that:

Quote:
Great Wii-U games:

Smash -> rumored enhanced version on Switch/also came out on 3DS
Mario Kart 8 confirmed enhanced version on Switch
Yoshi's Wooly World -> 3DS enhanced version
Mario Maker -> rumored enhanced version on Switch/came out on 3DS

Hyrule Warriors -> rumored port on Switch/enhanced version on 3DS
Splatoon -> "sequel"/enhanced version on Swtich
It makes you a bit bitter, especially early adopters who saw a $50 price decrease and bundles quickly because it wasn't selling and no ambassador program like 3DS. Not forgetting it took over a year for the Wii U to be updated so it wouldn't be super slow, all the features that took years to come out, terrible online service, expensive shop compared to competition, bad emulators for the VC, tablet was never utilized properly outside of very few titles here and there, terrible battery life, etc, lying that stuff was coming, probably most early switch games all started as Wii U games, artificially delaying BotW so it would come out on Switch, no sales, censorship not seen since the 80s/90s, promises and promises and promises.

And even with all that I can forgive Nintendo but when you see that they've learned absolutely nothing for the Switch I think I'll take the cybercubed route and wait a year after the system has been selling like crap.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:17 AM   #9875
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't mind enchanced/re-releases, you don't have to buy them.

Hell if Nintendo announced an HD collection of Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 for the Switch, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #9876
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I'm kind of surprised by the response here. I've never been so sold...

Considering the tech that's gone into this thing, especially the JoyCon, I don't think $300 is a bad price at all. Before the presentation, I was telling everyone that the rumored price of $250 had to be wrong, because Nintendo was committed to not taking a loss. I was swearing up-and-down that the dock must be sold separately or something. After they explained HD rumble, and showed what came in the box, my friend and I were looking at each other like "They must just be breaking even." And then we preordered them. I've never bought a console at launch, before.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #9877
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

NES and SNES were always my favourite consoles.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #9878
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Nintendo Switch Super Bowl LI commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 02-01-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:48 AM   #9879
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Nintendo Switch Supre Bowl LI commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdWd8fUC71g
Looks fun.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #9880
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Anyone playing Fire Emblem Heroes?

This is the third time trying to get into FE first with the second GBA game and later with the first 3DS game. I love Advance Wars and it's supposed to be similarly but I just couldn't however so far I'm having fun with FE Heroes, it's a bit too chatty and I forget the names of everyone but it's alright, I don't even know what the restrictions for playing it are since I only play a little bit every day I guess it restricts how long you can play besides the orbs which they do give somewhat generously so it's like an awesome free game for me.