The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

TMNT Archie 1st Prints

This has probably been mentioned before but I couldn’t find it in the searches. Is it the first eight or nine issues of the Archie Adventures run that had multiple printings? How can you tell a first print from a second or eighth print?
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #2
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Reprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
This has probably been mentioned before but I couldn’t find it in the searches. Is it the first eight or nine issues of the Archie Adventures run that had multiple printings? How can you tell a first print from a second or eighth print?
Here are the reprrints

https://www.miragelicensing.com/comics/books/books.html
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Actually not what I was talking about. I’m referring to the individual issues.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
It's a good question. There's probably a number of different images in the barcode section of the cover.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

I could be wrong but I thought it had something to do with the inside cover advertisement being in color or black-and-white? I think there’s also a printing number on the first page at the bottom for the later prints? I just wanted some definitive answers though as to what a true first print means.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

If the editor Victor Gorelick is pictured in the upc box on the cover, then it's a reprint. Also, check the indicia on the first page at the bottom. It will usually state if it's a second, third, etc. printing.

edit: If there is no upc box, it's a first printing. First printings can also have a upc box with a upc symbol, I think.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Okay. That’s probably a good starting point. Any/all contributions to this topic are welcome.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Here's the definitive answer for you regarding all Archie TMNT printings. I can't take credit for this since it's from a fellow TMNT collector that spent years figuring it all out (Mitchell Lynn). He posted this in my FB TMNT Comic Book Collectors group. Happy hunting!

---------------------------------------------

ARCHIE PRINTINGS!!!!

So, here it is. How to tell the different printings apart for the Archie TMNT and how many printings each issue has. Bare in mind that not even Archie has this info. I gathered this info over roughly five years of searching, collecting, and deductive reasoning.

1- Absolutely everything printed by Archie has a Direct edition AND Newsstand edition. This includes any specials, seasonal specials, and even the digests. EVERYTHING. Newsstand editions have the barcode on the cover. Starting with #59 (and the specials and digests printed from the same time) all issues have a barcode on the cover but it will specify directly on the barcode for Direct Edition.

2- All Newsstand editions only had one print.

3- the first twelve issues had multiple printings as follows:

1-10 Five Printings
11 Four Printings
12 Two Printings

4- These all have a $1.00 price tag. The $1.25 price tags are the Canadian editions which appear to have only had one printing. #12 starts having both prices on one tag and is to be considered a US printing.

5- For issues #1 through #11, it does NOT specify first or second printing at the end of the indicia. First print has a color ad on the inside front cover. Second print has a black and white ad on the inside front cover.

6- Printings three, four, and five specify at the very end of the indicia.

7- Issue #12 falls outside of this and actually specifies First and Second Printing.

8- It was thought for a while that there were special “Salute to the Editor” editions with a small pic of the editor on the cover. These were not their own printings and just appear on some of the printings and fall in line with the info above. It was confusing because some second prints have them and while not specifying printing made it seem like it’s own thing. Follow the guideline and those are merely second prints.

9- The special issues printed by Random House that came with cassettes were the only specials to have multiple printings. These are fun since I’ve yet to notice anything on the outside of the package to differentiate printing so they have to be open to tell. Their printings are as follows:

1 (Has the turtles rising from the sewer) Seven Printings
2 (Return of the Shredder) Four Printings
3 (Intergalactic Wrestling) Two Printings

Also take note that I haven’t run into a retailer yet who knows this info. With that being said, do NOT inherently trust them when they say they have a first or second print. Generally, in the entire comics industry, you tell a first print by it specifying first or not specifying at all. These mess with that standard and the seller thinks second prints are first.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
Rat_King
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
Here's the definitive answer for you regarding all Archie TMNT printings. I can't take credit for this since it's from a fellow TMNT collector that spent years figuring it all out (Mitchell Lynn). He posted this in my FB TMNT Comic Book Collectors group. Happy hunting! [/I]
Hey everyone! I’m the Mitchell that Rich is tagging above. Here is one more bit of info to add to the list...

Issue # 8 Fourth Print was misprinted on all copies. It looks like a Second Printing because the exact spot where “4th printing” should be at the end of the indicia is blank with the wording mistakingly printed on the last page.
Rat_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_King View Post
Hey everyone! I’m the Mitchell that Rich is tagging above.
Thanks for chiming in man! You absolutely deserve the credit for this awesome info.
30 years of collecting TMNT and I was still baffled by the Archie reprintings until you provided this info. Much appreciated!

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #11
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

Thanks guys. You’re the best. Appreciate all the help.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Wow, incredible info. Must have taken forever to figure out! Thanks.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:19 AM   #13
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

Whoa! I've always wondered about this as well and figured all hope was lost in regards to figuring it out... Apparently not! I likely won't be tracking down these various printings at this point in my collecting career but should be a fun project for those that do.
OA is offline   Reply With Quote