The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #1461
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
There was a female line?
Wait, no seriously...where?!

Basically star wars barbie dolls for girls called forces of destiny
Old 01-30-2018, 10:00 PM   #1462
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
There was a female line?
Wait, no seriously...where?!
In the clearance rack:

They don't look half bad, I don't know why they keep trying this, it doesn't work, even with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers which while mostly aimed at boys still had plenty of girl fans the "doll" line failed. The DC action figures for the DC Girls line also failed, so you can't say it's because they're dolls or they're bad quality.

I can't remember reading as many articles last year but I do remember the Rogue One toyline also did bad, though that one makes more sense, no character in that movie was memorable.

I still need to watch those forces of destiny shorts, were they bad? I never read anything positive or negative about them, I just remember the trailer looked a bit cheap but it had potential.

edit: Scratch the Power Ranger dolls doing badly, I was a kid so I don't know but they obviously did well enough to receive versions of the new cast for season 2 and for the movie. But they never tried again so either that's when they must have sold badly, which makes sense Power Rangers became a boy only franchise after the original fad ended.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #1463
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Is that the "Suicide Action" Jyn Erso doll? And where's "Birthin' Suicidal" Padme? She doesn't rate?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #1464
CyberCubed
Overlord

Toys R us is also closing and most kids don't play with toys as often anymore, so I don't think it just being a female line has to do with anything.

Kids are glued to their ipads, phones, social media and youtube now, along with videogames as usual. The days of kids playing with toys is a lot shorter now and they outgrow it faster.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:46 PM   #1465
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Toys R us is also closing and most kids don't play with toys as often anymore, so I don't think it just being a female line has to do with anything.

Kids are glued to their ipads, phones, social media and youtube now, along with videogames as usual. The days of kids playing with toys is a lot shorter now and they outgrow it faster.

We're talking about different things here.

Star Wars merchandise not just toys fell tremendously after the first couple of weeks, this is not going to make Disney happy, they make so much money on merchandise.

The female line failed, it was likely given the go since they thought Star Wars could be a more open brand but it's still mostly a boys franchise, the crosssover is not any bigger than it was back in the prequels. That's not to say there aren't female fans it just isn't the market.

People not buying toys are a different metric which is irrelevant to how Disney would consider the line a success or a failure. Think of it this way, the comics that sell a lot today and considered successes right now were failures in the 90s and cancelled because at that time that was a title that wasn't worth the time.

In the reports I read Disney was extremely happy with The Force Awakens sales so they're going to make decisions that are different to what's going on now, especially if Solo bombs in May which they expect it to. They want Star Wars to be this evergreen Marvel brand but they don't see they're running it to the ground, Star Wars can't have yearly movies without people getting tired, especially if they push uninspiring storylines and make merchandise of stuff that won't sell. Sadly I don't think they'll get the right message from this, they'll just want to go to how things "were right" with The Force Awakens since that did fantastic overall with merchandise.

Last edited by sdp; 01-30-2018 at 10:52 PM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:27 PM   #1466
Vegita-San
Emperor

an hour of soft ball question damage control nonsense.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #1467
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

"All right, new Disney-Star Wars trilogy... show us what you've got!"

Episode 7: "All right. A New Hope."

"OK, new Disney-Star Wars trilogy... nice try. Now justify yourselves!"

Episode 8: "Nope!"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #1468
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:

They aren't 'outgrowing' them faster, it's that flashing lights and sounds on a screen attract more interest. A plain toy where you have to imagine or pretend just seems ' boring' compared to a screen that does the imagining for you.

And it's not just female figures. There are tons of other stuff of Star Wars shelfwarming that one would assume boys would have an interest in, because it's just too oversaturated. Anything Star Wars used to be a special event, only coming out every so often, now it's too much, too mundane, and too soon.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #1469
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I do think the action-figure market is shrinking overall, but I also think that the recent waves of Star Wars figures have been pretty boring. They've been very anthropocentric, i.e. too many dull looking chuds in overalls, and not enough wacky aliens and robots.

I don't know that it's a male v female thing either. Characters like Ahsoka Tano and Sabine Wren were big hits. My guess is because they look cool, kids know who they are, and they're action oriented characters, which is kind'a important for action-figures. So yeah, Rose is a peg warmer, but I don't think Poe or Finn sold too well either.

Rouge One was pretty bland as well. A lot of plain looking characters adorned in shades of brown; blister cards sporting a photoshoped promo image of them looking vaguely irritated - like they were photographed watching a PowerPoint presentation that's been going on a little too long.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #1470
Vegita-San
Emperor

tommorow you get to relive the madness of a mess on demand if you dare to rent.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #1471
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
tommorow you get to relive the madness of a mess on demand if you dare to rent.
"if you dare" "relive the madness of a mess"

The movie is plenty popular and nobody is going to have a mental breakdown over rewatching this if they want to.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:52 PM   #1472
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
"if you dare" "relive the madness of a mess"

The movie is plenty popular and nobody is going to have a mental breakdown over rewatching this if they want to.
this might trigger Vegita-San but I had TLJ on Preorder since January and I can't wait to watch it again

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 03-12-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #1473
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've already seen it twice in theaters, and I'll pick up the blu-ray in the coming months. I think all the Luke/Rey and Kylo Ren/Rey scenes are the most powerful and best of the movie, but I also like the side plots with Poe and to a lesser extent Finn/Rose as well.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #1474
Vegita-San
Emperor

So, i'm re watching this mess of a movie on amazon rental. I think my initial feelings on it where spot on. although I will admit I get so tired of tearing it apart, it almost feels like it SHOULD be watchable if you don't turn your brain on.

This thing contradicts itself left and right. most noteable with luke and reyben. Also Yoda's line to luke telling him rey already knows what's in the books and doesn't need them... so, why does she take them? sigh..

Admiral Gender Studies is femenism personified. She only becomes KIND of likeable when she says she likes Poe as he's un conscious. and even that is only because laura durn makes the goofy line that comes out of nowhere work.

Rose's 'we fight to save what we love' speech as she sneaks off a quick smooch as the death star laser just about kills her remaining friends is even more GD goofy on second viewing than it was the first time. Finn could have saved the day and gone out a hero, but this love sick crazy almost doomed them all while getting them both killed in a crash? ugh.

Most of this movie feels like a CW teen love drama between rey and ben. That also contradicts itself each act. not star wars.

The Code Breaker is utterly useless. how the hell did he even KNOW about the cloaked ships? on second viewing, Poe didn't find out until he was aboard, and he knew they failed before that so he had no time to tell them a plan he didn't know.

Gorriala walkers that do nothing other than to show that the standard walker design advanced in 30 years since. a Salt planet that might as well be ice. Goofy fox critters that solve a problem the resistance fighters shouldn't have that late in the movie.

ugh. I'm probably going to wind up seeing nine because my father still likes these things, but I Really have no interest in it.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #1475
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
So, i'm re watching this mess of a movie on amazon rental. I think my initial feelings on it where spot on. although I will admit I get so tired of tearing it apart, it almost feels like it SHOULD be watchable if you don't turn your brain on.

This thing contradicts itself left and right. most noteable with luke and reyben. Also Yoda's line to luke telling him rey already knows what's in the books and doesn't need them... so, why does she take them? sigh..

Admiral Gender Studies is femenism personified. She only becomes KIND of likeable when she says she likes Poe as he's un conscious. and even that is only because laura durn makes the goofy line that comes out of nowhere work.

Rose's 'we fight to save what we love' speech as she sneaks off a quick smooch as the death star laser just about kills her remaining friends is even more GD goofy on second viewing than it was the first time. Finn could have saved the day and gone out a hero, but this love sick crazy almost doomed them all while getting them both killed in a crash? ugh.

Most of this movie feels like a CW teen love drama between rey and ben. That also contradicts itself each act. not star wars.

The Code Breaker is utterly useless. how the hell did he even KNOW about the cloaked ships? on second viewing, Poe didn't find out until he was aboard, and he knew they failed before that so he had no time to tell them a plan he didn't know.

Gorriala walkers that do nothing other than to show that the standard walker design advanced in 30 years since. a Salt planet that might as well be ice. Goofy fox critters that solve a problem the resistance fighters shouldn't have that late in the movie.

ugh. I'm probably going to wind up seeing nine because my father still likes these things, but I Really have no interest in it.
Marks my spot on Vegita-San Bingo whines or blames something on Feminism SJW's or Women
Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 PM   #1476
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Spoiler:

Vegita-San, I hated the movie too but reading about how you hate it is even worse. Just stop talking about it or go on twitter like Cubed suggested
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #1477
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Marks my spot on Vegita-San Bingo whines or blames something on Feminism SJW's or Women
No no, that's femenism, which I think involves Ironman.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #1478
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Quote:

You secretly love this movie despite its flaws, I can tell...

You just keep coming back for more like a desperate ex.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #1479
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
You secretly love this movie despite its flaws, I can tell...

You just keep coming back for more like a desperate ex.
no, more like trying to give up something that was once good. and desperately hoping to find something still good in it before I do.

All the flaws are still present. some new ones found. just gotta have the will power to try to not seek out anything new in the hopes of finding a gem among the rough.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #1480
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I've thought about this since seeing it the first time, and the only thing I really can't abide is

Spoiler:
hologram Luke.

It just makes less and less sense, the more I try to consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw