The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Turtles Forever OR Trans-Dimensional Turtles?
Turtles Forever 63 60.00%
Trans-Dimensional Turtles 42 40.00%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
turtlefanforever
Foot Elite

Which was better: 'Turtles Forever' or Trans-dimensional Turtles

Now that they've both come out. Which do you think was better?

Turtles Forever movie from 2009, crossing over the 3 main incarnations of the turtles.

OR

Trans-Dimensional turtles episode of the 2012 series?

There's no blurred lines, only two options. Giving an equal is a cop out. You can explain yourself in the comments if you can't choose one.
turtlefanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

Turtles Forever being a movie obviously had more going on, and functioned as the series finale for the 2k3 series. We had more action, humor, more for the Prime Turtles, etc.

That being said I'm surprised how much Nick fit into Transdimensional Turtles. For only a 22 minute episode we got so much between the interaction of both Turtles, Krang, the Prime universe, Krang and Subprime interacting, the Turtles seeing Splinter again, etc.

I liked both, but Turtles Forever being an hour and a half movie gets the edge.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Chabrendeki
Hench Mutant

I really love both, both are fun, both have their merits -

I must confess, I love the Nick-show a little bit better, than the 4kids cartoon (I couldn't explain, why), BUT Trans-Dimensional Turtles is really rushed a bit, there is no time to build the story, and there was no time for a real Mirage-sequence. Since I'm hungarian as a child I watched the Fred Wolf cartoon with hungarian synchronisation, so the original voices are not so crucial for me.

So Turtles Forever is the better for me: the story is great and has the time to grow slowly, and the finale in the Mirage-verse is just epic.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

My thoughts are kinda mixed. Turtles Forever was longer so we saw more of the teams playing off of each other. Turtles Forever had the FW series “On Model” and they looked great. The 2D versions of the Nick Turtles were nice, but the FW Turtles were WAY off model, and the animation was only marginally better than Strongbad. That being said, Trans-Dimensional Turtles had the original voice cast, and as a fan of those guys that makes me happy. I wish it had been a 2 parter so we could have had more time with the FW Turtles (and maybe the extended show would have had a higher budget). I guess we can hope the 2nd crossover (is Rob Paulsen’s tweet proves true) with Shredder and the Mutants will remedy the problems I had with Trans-Turtles.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
TMNTInsighter
Banned

There should be a third option entitled "Tie" or something because that's how I feel. I honestly can't pick one over the other because they were both fun to watch.
...I guess there should also be a fourth option entitled "Neither".
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #6
Mew
Banned

Trans-Dimensional Turtles. The jokes were great, and I LOVED the Mirage segment. I thought the animation was pretty good. And the 3D Krang was awesome!

I actually thought that they just reused the ending clip and I was disappointed until Tiger Claw showed up!!!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I'd pick Trans-dimensional Turtles despite the fact that I loved turtles forever for the reasons:

1. Original voice actors returning
2. The whole 2D vs 3D element
3. Recreation of the old background music
4. The comic book style portrayal of the mirage universe as well as how the 2k12 and 80s versions of Donatello looked in it.
5. Perfectly accurate portrayal of the OT in comparison to Turtles forever which I think screwed up in that aspect. (please don't flame me for this one)

However, there are a number of things I like about Turtles Forever such as:
1. The length of the special
2. Appearances of more OT characters like Bebop and Rocksteady
3. The voice acting and self-narrating of the mirage characters which I thought was awesome
4. sheer scale of it in comparison to this episode when looking at things like plot and references.
5. Arguably the animation of the OT in turtles forever although the 2D in transdimensional turtles has grown on me and I think the 2012 turtles look better than the back to the sewers design 2k3 used in TF. I can't pick between the way mirage was animated in both specials, I'd say its a tie.

I thought both had a great story, animation, references, action scenes and comedy despite their flaws. Recommend both for all Turtles fans.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 03-30-2016 at 06:42 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM   #8
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Oh, Turtles Forever, all the way.

I mean, they're both plenty enjoyable. But TF is an automatic win for me because it did it first, it did it bigger, and IMO, it did it better. Trans-Dimensional Turtles is basically a scaled-back remake of Turtles Forever, taking the same basic plot (current and '87 Turtles cross into each others' worlds and into the Mirage universe to stop one of their villains from destroying the multiverse), with a lot of the same jokes and character beats, while kind of rushing through it all in a standard episode. Turtles Forever went deeper and had a better story. And it felt more "special" in a way -- it gave cameos to (almost) every previous version of the characters and felt like a celebration of the entire franchise to that point. The Nick episode doesn't and can't compare to that.

Trans-Dimensional Turtles gets points for bringing back the original '87 cast, of course. The TF soundalikes do a pretty solid job, though. And it can be argued that the Nick episode represents those characters better -- I kind of think of it as Turtles Forever representing them and their world closer to the goofier/sillier seasons of that show, where the Nick episode shows them in a more "ideal" light closer to the earlier seasons -- but I don't think TF is all that inaccurate when it comes to representing the goofier version of that show (aside from a few especially mean-spirited moments, of course). I think how that plays with the viewer depends on personal preference and the rosiness of their glasses.

Everything beyond that, though? TF all the way. A better and fuller story, bigger stakes, much better 2D animation (the '87 animation looks perfect there, but looks off-model and cheap in the Nick episode), and it makes a point to represent the whole of the property where the Nick episode kinda cherry-picks and doesn't have time to get into much beyond Nick/'87 and a brief Mirage cameo.

Last edited by Bry; 03-30-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

It should be no contest imo. One insulted the old cartoon, by making em cowards and crying, and the other show respect to the cartoon.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

This is an unfair comparison because TF is a full length movie/special. It could do more and develop the story better. Plus there's going to be another Nick-OT crossover so it's not really over.

I will say Trans-dimensional pretty much ripped off TF plot with destroying realities. I'm disappointed they just copied it like that. Unless they plan on linking everything together somehow which I doubt.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:34 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

It's really hard to say, they beat each other in an equal amount of categories, I think.

I guess I'd go with Turtles Forever, due to it being longer, subsequently more in-depth, heavily involving the Mirage turtles, better animation, same reasons as everyone else. But I prefer the Nick turtles to the 4kids ones, I thought their FW references/homages were more clever, having the original voice cast was a HUGE plus, & I dunno, there was just a different mindset behind it that I can't quite articulate at present.

The new compliments the old wonderfully, it's a great companion piece. If one wins, it's by a nose, I love them both.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM   #12
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Turtles Forever -
*Weird plot idea done for the movie.
*2K3 TMNT dialogue was about as annoying as the OT TMNT dialogue in certain parts of the movie.

Overall pro - Great animation work done for the other characters of the TMNT universes, and a decent nod to the Mirage TMNT.

Trans-Dimensional Turtles -
*Another weird episode plot idea.
*The animation work done in both realities was okay for the most part (not totally sold on 3-D animated Krang, the odd-eyed 3-D OT Turtles, or Flash animated Nick TMNT & Kraang Sub-Prime although it is gradually growing on me. I've been re-watching the last episode.)

Overall pro - It was great to hear the original OT voice actors back for another round.

Overall not sure which one is better.

~ John Adams

Last edited by DarkFell; 03-31-2016 at 12:08 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #13
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Part of me wonders if tone helped T-DT as well. The Nick series is a more humorous show than 4Kids TMNT ever dreamed of being, so there wasn't the tonal chasm between it and the FW series....maybe....

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 AM   #14
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

I'm giving this one to T-DT. I don't have the issues many have with TF, but I never held as much affection for the 2K TMNT as I do with both the original and Nick versions. It was servicable, but it's biggest flaw is T-DTs greatest strength: There's no point in doing a crossover with the 80s TMNT unless you're bringing the actors back. And while the FW TMNT aren't my favourite versions of the Turtles, they *were* my first, which makes them the most important and nostalgic for me.
Also, Pat Fraley.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:56 AM   #15
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Nick's of course. Duh.

Can't beat the original voice cast. Also it's actually funny and tonnes of OT references (like "gimme a break"). It also treats the OT turtles with faaar greater respect.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 AM   #16
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
It also treats the OT turtles with faaar greater respect.
Who cares?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 AM   #17
Kingoji
Hench Mutant

Quite a lot of us, cheers.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Well maybe, but it still points out that the FW cartoon is a lame piece of crap...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 AM   #19
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Well maybe, but it still points out that the FW cartoon is a lame piece of crap...
Don't mind them. They still have rose-tinted glasses on.

But seriously, who gave more respect to FW than who is irrelevant to me and everytime I hear someone try to make it sound relevant, I just chill out and drink some good ol's tears.

Last edited by DarkLightDragon; 03-31-2016 at 06:51 AM.
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:47 AM   #20
ToTheNines
[sic]

It was just as disrespectful to the Fred Wolf show than Turtles Forever was. Raph saying how lame their fights were, "enough with the turtle power already", pointing out that the plot didn't make sense.

And retconning Krang's origin without marrying it to the information we already had about his past. They completely ignored a ton of FW lore in attempting to make Krang a Nick Utrom.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote