The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 PM   #21
Rooish
Devil's Advocate

*sigh* It's kind of annoying that they keep hinting at plotlines months in advance and then everyone guesses what they are and is correct because the series is kind of predictable.

Thanks evan2000 for the sig!
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:16 PM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord

They haven't been hinting anything will happen to Slash, it's just assumptions even if they are correct. He's been low-key this entire arc with nothing pointing toward him in series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
*sigh* It's kind of annoying that they keep hinting at plotlines months in advance and then everyone guesses what they are and is correct because the series is kind of predictable.
Ah, they manage to surprise us sometimes. Krang being a snack for Leatherhead, Bishop 'jacking Slash, Splinter killing Shredder and assuming Foot leadership...

But yeah, a lot of the times it is pretty predictable. But I think that's more to do with solicitations and the comics industry in general?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:56 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I do wonder why Slash would be killed off after everything giving him the short end of the stick with a brief period of happiness, and in such a precarious spot. It seems needlessly cruel, not just for him, but for his friends.

Hob has much more going on for the series, so it really can't be him. Especially since he's been there since the first page!

It's so clearly Slash, it's just a question of how.

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 11-20-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I do wonder why Slash would be killed off after everything giving him the short end of the stick with a brief period of happiness, and in such a precarious spot. It seems needlessly cruel, not just for him, but for his friends.

Hob has much more going on for the series, so it really can't be him. Especially since he's been there since the first page!

It's so clearly Slash, it's just a question of how.
Anybody but Hob. It CANNOT be Hob.

I'll frickin' riot if they kill Old Hob!
Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #26
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Because the IDW crew are actually Joss Whedon in disguise...?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 PM   #27
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Hob's not going freakin' anywhere, and I can't imagine a point where it would be even remotely reasonable for him to be killed off.

He'd probably just...shrink into the shadows of the woods like a cryptid and live like a woodsman in a 1700's German fairytale.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hob's not dying because he's the breakout character of the IDW run from the very first issue in 2011. He's the "Harley Quinn" of the IDW run, if that makes any sense.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #29
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Boy, is that EVER the perfect way to describe him
Old 11-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #30
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hob's not dying because he's the breakout character of the IDW run from the very first issue in 2011. He's the "Harley Quinn" of the IDW run, if that makes any sense.
There's a big difference between IDW TMNT and something like Marvel and DC, though. IDW can get away with killing off someone like Old Hob, and, as a matter of fact, the fact that he's the breakout character of the IDW run just gives his death such a large impact, something that the writers seem to be hyping up for #88.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #31
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
There's a big difference between IDW TMNT and something like Marvel and DC, though. IDW can get away with killing off someone like Old Hob, and, as a matter of fact, the fact that he's the breakout character of the IDW run just gives his death such a large impact, something that the writers seem to be hyping up for #88.
Preach. It seems fully agreed on by everyone that Slash hasn't had as significant an impact as Old Hob, so, if it isn't Slash that dies, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Old Hob dying instead.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Is there any reason this issue is coming out so late? We're literally at the end of this month and the issue isn't coming till 2 days before the end of November?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 PM   #33
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm still pretty sure it was because of Thanksgiving.

And we should have the rest of a preview by now.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #34
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80gmrp View Post
While it's certain that someone will die what with the synopsis of #90, I myself wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's actually Slash that kills someone, as opposed to getting killed.
I agree with that, especially when you see the two regular covers. One has Slash with his hands covered in a red substance, maybe blood, and the other cover with Slash possibly standing over people he's badly beaten, one being a Triceraton. Maybe Zom and/or Ma'Riell will be the ones to bite the dust, especially since Ch'Rell is now on the loose.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #35
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

The assumption that it's Slash comes from the synopsis of #90 describing the TMNT and their allies falling apart over a "tragedy".

The only one who would deeply care if Zom or Ma'riell died would be Don, considering how long he had been working with them to get a treaty together. Either one of them dying is not going to affect anyone in Don's circle. They might say "that's rough buddy, we'll help you deal with Ch'rell when we can", but it's not something that's going to have the whole group so emotionally vulnerable that it would hinder them during whatever the hell is going on with the Foot, Karai, and Kitsune.

Sure, 88 describes "devastating consequences for many", but I think Ma'riell is just going to be IDW Ch'rell's Mortu. With a deep-set anger that makes more sense after he spelled it out at the start of 87. I don't think the writers are going to skip out on the chance for a great conflict between Ma'riell and Ch'rell, especially for how polarized they are in how they would handle leadership of the Utroms. And that's why the 20 Years Later comic has the Utroms at war with each other.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #36
daggio
Foot Soldier

Plus, the whole flashbacks about Bishop will presumably come to conclusion. I guess we're gonna find out he is a cyborg so that he would survive his early days. And the whole thing about what Sally is doing that prevented her from being present on Burnow Island. These make me a little anxious to find out what's gonna happen.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #37
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

There really isn't any time for anything to happen to Ma'riell besides looking on in horror at what has happened and probably yelling at Churk and Yot as they're hauling out a woodchipper in the plant field.

We do see what she was getting up to at the start of the preview though; she and Pete were preparing an aircraft of their own to bring to the fight.

My one disappointment is that Ch'rell is probably going to go back on ice through the whole of City at War for the next several issues...unless there's a mini or micro focusing on him at some random point. That after a very long series of short glimpses and bookending.
Come on man, get to it.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #38
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
There really isn't any time for anything to happen to Ma'riell besides looking on in horror at what has happened and probably yelling at Churk and Yot as they're hauling out a woodchipper in the plant field.

We do see what she was getting up to at the start of the preview though; she and Pete were preparing an aircraft of their own to bring to the fight.

My one disappointment is that Ch'rell is probably going to go back on ice through the whole of City at War for the next several issues...unless there's a mini or micro focusing on him at some random point. That after a very long series of short glimpses and bookending.
Come on man, get to it.
With Sally, I see that now, though what Hob said last issue about her knowing exactly where the fight was, and then him and Ray giving each other a look makes me think something else may happen, though I might be looking too much into it.

And you never know. Maybe Ch'rell and crew will play some sort of role in City at War albeit maybe from a distance. After all there's still the probability of a Ch'rell/Leatherhead confrontation in the future judging by the unflattering comment about him Ch'rell said last issue.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #39
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

That's probably one of the least things Leatherhead has to worry about in a confrontation with Ch'rell . Pretty sure he wasn't anticipating anyone coming back around to avenge Krang.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:07 AM   #40
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooish View Post
Not... really? There's a lot that if you said you saw it coming I'd either say you're a liar or you did a shakedown on someone in the writers' room for info. What people "guess" is what they usually have purposely telegraphed with foreshadowing.