The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #541
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Spoiler:
That's been a thing in Star Trek as far back as DS9. The writers of that show felt they needed a big shocking storyline to up their game for the fourth season of the show and considered having the Vulcans break off from the Federation over their handling of the Dominion. They even laid some groundwork on that before going the other way and introducing the Klingons and Worf into the show. However the idea that the Vulcans aren't so comfortable being part of the Federation has been alluded a few times since then
Except DS9 didn't do that because they determined that would be dumb and were only ever looking for something "big" to happen because their ratings were taking a hit and the people upstairs were forcing them to come up with something.

And pretty much any one of these "big" ideas as they happen on STD aren't inherently dumb in and of themselves (except for the Burn... they don't seem to understand what dilithium is and that it's not a reactant)... it's the way they're presented and the almost 0 thought put behind them, amid empty-headed "me, me, me, I, I, I"/"I don't know how I FEEL today" type Burnham melodrama.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:43 AM   #542
neatoman
Emperor

So the context of the Leonard Nimoy clip is that Spock and Picard (disguised as a Romulan) are sitting down in a Romulan bar and discussing the reunification. Not to mention that he was on a secret mission.

How did Picard record that and wouldn't a recording be a liability if he was caught?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:46 AM   #543
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So the context of the Leonard Nimoy clip is that Spock and Picard (disguised as a Romulan) are sitting down in a Romulan bar and discussing the reunification. Not to mention that he was on a secret mission.

How did Picard record that and wouldn't a recording be a liability if he was caught?
That's a whole other can of worms, now. Picard was secretly recording him... what, with his comm badge he wasn't wearing? Or if he was... do comm badges record all the time now, retroactively? No privacy ever?
Old 11-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #544
neatoman
Emperor

Also, why exactly are they still wearing 23rd Century Uniforms?
Hahahaha!
Old 11-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #545
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Except DS9 didn't do that because they determined that would be dumb and were only ever looking for something "big" to happen because their ratings were taking a hit and the people upstairs were forcing them to come up with something.
We'll never know whether it was a bad idea since they didn't do it. They did however keep up with Vulcans being douches to humans though hence Take Me Out to the Holosuite all Vulcan or the Vulcan serial killer in Field of Fire. Not to mention most of Enterprise portrayed them as almost hostile to humans.

Quote:
That's a whole other can of worms, now. Picard was secretly recording him... what, with his comm badge he wasn't wearing? Or if he was... do comm badges record all the time now, retroactively? No privacy ever?
It was probably done with the same device that allowed the Enterprise - A crew to record all of the Talos IV mission to replay on a screen during Pike's court martial.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #546
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Man, this latest episode was a real chore to get through. I'm not even quite sure what I watched. And we get an actual scene with the Trill person explaining her personal pronoun preferences.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #547
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Not to fat shame, by any means, but...

I've heard people saying Tilly put on a lot of weight between seasons but I never paid it much thought. But now that it's put into perspective... yeesh! And how? There is literally no time lapse between season 1 and 2, or between season 2 and 3! (as in, no time to get fat)

I mean, can this even be ruled out?

Old 12-14-2020, 04:24 PM   #548
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Not to fat shame, by any means, but...

https://i.ibb.co/cvXj1V2/131369160-1...53503804-n.jpg

I've heard people saying Tilly put on a lot of weight between seasons but I never paid it much thought. But now that it's put into perspective... yeesh!

And how? There is literally no time lapse between season 1 and 2, or between season 2 and 3! (as in, no time to get fat)
Wasn't the actress pregnant during production of season 2?
Hahahaha!
Old 12-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #549
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Wasn't the actress pregnant during production of season 2?
No. Though I did find this:

https://imgur.com/gallery/0MSoV9p
Old 12-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #550
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I dunno, I'm okay with a thicker woman in Starfleet.

If she's a science officer or engineer or somebody not actively going on away teams, I'd be fine not having everyone look like Maxim models or bodybuilders or whatever.

Not like I'm anyone to judge people for being slightly chunky.

Also, I haven't watched any of Season 3 yet so I can't comment on anything in it. But I didn't notice her looking any different between Seasons 1 and 2.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #551
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I dunno, I'm okay with a thicker woman in Starfleet.
I am, too. Though it's a bit strange that beyond, like, Starfleet admiralty, we've never seen any plump officers ever... until now.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #552
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I am, too. Though it's a bit strange that beyond, like, Starfleet admiralty, we've never seen any plump officers ever... until now.
Makes perfect sense to me.

We like to look at pretty people in our fiction. It's only in the last few years that fighting body image stereotypes and accepting larger builds is a thing. And right or wrong or indifferent, right now Hollywood and television are all about diversity, inclusion, and all that.

Sometimes it's done really well, sometimes it's done appallingly bad, and sometimes it's just kind of "whatever." Put me down as "whatever" on this one.

But while we're on the subject of Tilly, I loved her in Season 1 and found her incredibly annoying in Season 2. I shudder to think how I might feel towards her in this current season...
Old 12-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #553
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
But while we're on the subject of Tilly, I loved her in Season 1 and found her incredibly annoying in Season 2. I shudder to think how I might feel towards her in this current season...
She's less annoying in 3 than in 2, in all fairness. Though her being promoted to XO -- while not her fault, of course -- is probably one of the single most stupid things to happen in the entirety of the show.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #554
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
She's less annoying in 3 than in 2, in all fairness. Though her being promoted to XO -- while not her fault, of course -- is probably one of the single most stupid things to happen in the entirety of the show.
I read that here... For fvck's sake, that's fvcking stupid.

Put Stamets in the XO's seat. Or Jett Reno.
Old 12-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #555
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Put Stamets in the XO's seat. Or Jett Reno.
Preferably ANYBODY on that bridge crew. It would afford an opportunity to get to know one of them, or at least learn a name.

Also, here is an "important" open letter from "Women at Warp" to the Star Trek community:

https://www.womenatwarp.com/another-...rek-community/
Old 12-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #556
Vegita-San
Emperor

these people don't want equality. they want to 'reverse or take over' the power that the other section of the race supposedly had. hence, why no 'NORMAL' straight white men or women on the show whatever season.

if all they wanted was equality, you would see an equal mix.

hypocrites.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #557
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Preferably ANYBODY on that bridge crew. It would afford an opportunity to get to know one of them, or at least learn a name.

Also, here is an "important" open letter from "Women at Warp" to the Star Trek community:

https://www.womenatwarp.com/another-...rek-community/
Oh for fvck's sake, it's STAR TREK. Nobody in Star Trek needs to come out and say "I'm a white person and I'm against racism!"

Because they're already in FVCKING STAR TREK. That's like insisting somebody on MSNBC boldly proclaim that yes, yes they DID vote for Biden.
Old 12-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #558
Sumac
Banned

Why anyone in ST would want to step out and proclaim they are against racism?
To my understanding, ST'verse is beyond the point when racism was a thing.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #559
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I mean, the very first fvcking Star Trek show had a black woman as a bridge officer. That was Star Trek's first step in the equality march. Or what about The Next Generation, with black and disabled crew? Or Deep Space Nine, with a black man in charge, strong female characters, and an Arabic character? Voyager, with a woman captain?

(Or Enterprise, with its first mentally challenged bridge officer? I'll be charitable and let you argue about whether I'm hating on Archer, Hoshi, Mayweather, or Reed. )

Yeah, it took them way too fvcking long to include homosexual characters, but Star Trek has always been about diversity and equality.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #560
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Oh for fvck's sake, it's STAR TREK. Nobody in Star Trek needs to come out and say "I'm a white person and I'm against racism!"

Because they're already in FVCKING STAR TREK. That's like insisting somebody on MSNBC boldly proclaim that yes, yes they DID vote for Biden.
Shatner is a Republican, right? I don't follow everything he puts out there but I've read he likes Trump but perhaps not to the point that it makes him too problematic. Dwight Schultz who played Barclay in Next Gen and Voy is pretty far to the right and apparently has his own Alex Jones-esque radio show.

Just because Star Trek is supposed to promote progressive ideals doesn't mean that people working on the show are progressive or liberal. Heck even though the franchise unashamedly wears it's politics on its sleeve it's suprinsing the amount of right leaning fans see it as a more Conservative leaning show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
If I understand the letter correctly they want people working on the show to condemn bigotry.

As for the characters and their world well bigotry between different races of humans is a thing of the past but we have seen that while very tolerant humans can still look down on certain alien races. Romulans, Cardassians, Ferengi.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote