The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

more Playmates box set reissues Sports and 2012 turtles

Preternia
@preterniadotcom

Playmates is putting out two more sets of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reissues. A vintage Sewer Sports 4-pack and a 2012 set of six.

Up for preorder for January release on an Australian retailer Culture Shock Collectibles, no word yet on US release - https://bit.ly/2ZUALYL

Old 11-05-2021, 01:13 PM   #2
EddieNES
Stone Warrior

Might be the first one I skip. 4 figures at the same 6 figure prices.

Classic Playmates move.

As for the Nick pack, meh.
EddieNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #3
mikey0
Foot Elite

Skateboardin’ Mike is a Sewer Sports All Star figure?!

This is very similar to the Movie Star box set. Super Shredder was originally a basic figure.

I guess Playmates lost the molds to Shell Slammin’ Mike, Grand Slammin’ Raph, and Slap Shot Leo.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post

This is very similar to the Movie Star box set. Super Shredder was originally a basic figure.

I guess Playmates lost the molds to Shell Slammin’ Mike, Grand Slammin’ Raph, and Slap Shot Leo.
They probably just wanted one of each turtle and decided Skateboardin' Mike was easier to reproduce. I could see the rubber cape and belt for wrestler Mikey being more complicated/expensive than a plastic skateboard.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
They probably just wanted one of each turtle and decided Skateboardin' Mike was easier to reproduce. I could see the rubber cape and belt for wrestler Mikey being more complicated/expensive than a plastic skateboard.
I wonder if the paint apps for Leo and Mike from the Sewer Sports All Stars box set will be worse than the 2016 Skateboardin’ Mike and TD Tossin’ Leonardo from Toys R Us.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

interesting that they decided to reissue the 2012 turtles (which I love and own multiples of) and totally skipped the 2003 turtles which would probably be of more interest to a lot of people since they are older and harder to get?
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 11:49 PM   #7
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
interesting that they decided to reissue the 2012 turtles (which I love and own multiples of) and totally skipped the 2003 turtles which would probably be of more interest to a lot of people since they are older and harder to get?
In general, I kinda feel like the 2003 show has gotten a raw deal 9 times out of 10 ever since Viacom purchased the IP. Or at the very least, that's just how it's felt like to me.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
they needed an x-games representative
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #9
Meow
Stone Warrior

Poor playmates, trying to hide the obvious called "another attempt to rip off people who are already aware of the bad playmates game"
Old 11-07-2021, 07:15 PM   #10
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
In general, I kinda feel like the 2003 show has gotten a raw deal 9 times out of 10 ever since Viacom purchased the IP. Or at the very least, that's just how it's felt like to me.
I’m still hoping that 2k3 turtles get a box set like this. I’d be all over it!
Zachatello00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #11
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

2012 set can go F itself. Got enough of those!

Sports set can also go F itself. They already re-issued football Leo and skateboard Mike at TRU not that long ago (and they sucked).
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:57 AM   #12
Meow
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieLaForge View Post
2012 set can go F itself. Got enough of those!
Big up F you mean. Nobody noticed they were given the wrong feet again? And look at the F artwork on the box - monkey feet or what. Like what the hell playmates, what the f hell, you HAD one job and F it up multiple times
Old 11-09-2021, 02:34 AM   #13
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Big up F you mean. Nobody noticed they were given the wrong feet again? And look at the F artwork on the box - monkey feet or what. Like what the hell playmates, what the f hell, you HAD one job and F it up multiple times
I must be missing something, the feet look right to me.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:09 AM   #14
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
I must be missing something, the feet look right to me.
The first release of the turtles for the 2012 cartoon didn't look like the cartoon. They looked more "realistic", and had toes and more rounded features. Then the cartoon came out and the boys had much sharper edges: the feet are more of a hoof that had notches cut out for example. Playmates ended up making much more cartoon accurate toys and releasing them as battle shell variants.

Those would have been a great set to release. I loved these original figures (and still think they're really great, especially for eight bucks), but once the cartoon came out it became apparent how off they were.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:17 AM   #15
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
The first release of the turtles for the 2012 cartoon didn't look like the cartoon. They looked more "realistic", and had toes and more rounded features.
Ok, I thought you meant that they were different looking from the original release.

I actually liked the way the original 2k12 figures looked - the more realistic interpretation - but I’m glad they did more cartoon accurate ones in the battle shell turtles.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:08 PM   #16
DVD
Mad Scientist

I like the Sports set. They at least don’t have missing paint apps as they did when rereleased in the Classic set. And the backing card design is a really good redesign of the original, but using all four Turtles in the image. All in all, not a bad set at all.
DVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 12:52 AM   #17
ToSte
Hench Mutant

I'm gonna make like that touchdown tossin Leo and pass on of all these.
ToSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:24 AM   #18
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Re-releasing the 2012 turtles is a mistake. There are still tons of them available at swap meets and the like. The only advantage is getting all the weapons. More OG or 2003 would make much more sense. The Sports pack interests me. It wouldn't if I had picked up the TRU re-releases though. Plus in all likelihood, I won't get a chance at it anyway.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:52 PM   #19
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Sewer Sports All-Stars Bundle Pack is in stock at Target.com: https://www.target.com/p/teenage-mut...k/-/A-84717163
Old 03-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #20
DonnieLaForge
Stone Warrior

I'm not buying either of these new sets.

The sports one is just inaccurate with Skateboardin' Mike and the vehicle depicted is just made up and not nostalgic in any way, plus I have both the vintage All-Stars and the TRU re-issues (carded even), and the card backs to the vintage saved. So they aren't going to squeeze any more blood from that nostalgia stone from me.

And yeah, I already bought enough 2012 turtle variations. Different colors, different feet, different toes, different eyes, different cards, etc, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't even new, but repackaged excess/returns from when the line ended.

Now do the rock & roll turtles in the tour bus and we'll talk.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote