The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #41
Mutant Ninja Anole
Hench Mutant
 
Mutant Ninja Anole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 342
Quote:
Ghostbusters crossovers are canon AF. Batman crossovers, NOPE.
Pfft! As far as Im concerned, Batman keeps Raphs mask in his cave and no one can convince me otherwise!
__________________

Calmly awaiting the next issue of the comics.
Tumblr
Twitter
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #42
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,406
What surprises me the most is that Mrs. O'Neil didn't think anything was amiss when John "just happened" to have a stroke after he, and herself by her own admission, started looking deeper into the workings of Stockgen. What with her background and all. Could Stockman have tried to erase John's memory somehow? And that's what gave him the stroke? Hmm... IDW are masters at setup, for sure none of this is random.

The female ninja is the one that has me the most intrigued. I did think the others could just be regular Elite Foot that looked a bit different due to artistic interpretation, but she's definitely something else.

And... I'm kinda scared for #80. It probably won't go down that way, what with the Triceratons there, and likely interventions by Bishop and/or Stockman, but can the Turtles even beat Splinter in a straight-up fight if when it comes to that?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #43
Rooish
Devil's Advocate
 
Rooish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 1,987
Wow, that was a good issue. Glad we're focused back on the Turtles now!

Anyone kind of hoping Splinter goes down?
Rooish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #44
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,460
Pretty good issue decent action, move the story along, and a decent twist at the head. I also really love it how Raph called Splinter out and saying the old man wanted his cake and it too.
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:41 AM   #45
Mayhem
Mad Scientist
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London, England
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
What surprises me the most is that Mrs. O'Neil didn't think anything was amiss when John "just happened" to have a stroke after he, and herself by her own admission, started looking deeper into the workings of Stockgen. What with her background and all. Could Stockman have tried to erase John's memory somehow? And that's what gave him the stroke? Hmm... IDW are masters at setup, for sure none of this is random.
Or he had a stroke from being stressed too much, or working too hard, or an infection. But it's fun for everyone to speculate heh...
__________________
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 AM   #46
Raptor86
Hench Mutant
 
Raptor86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Palermo, Italy (Currently in Amsterdam, the Netherlands)
Posts: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
on another subject, it does feel more and more likely that Splinter might be under some influence of The Rat King.
he's going way too far to demean his sons.
unless he's been corrupted by power.
That sounds similar to what happened to Daredevil when he was leading the hand, under the influence of "The Beast".

Actually I like to think that Splinter's actions are consistent with his history of being an actual ninja from Feudal Japan.
Raptor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #47
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Or he had a stroke from being stressed too much, or working too hard, or an infection. But it's fun for everyone to speculate heh...
That's real life stuff. In fiction, there are rarely coincidences.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:05 AM   #48
Powder
Salami Origami
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shell Ri La
Posts: 25,556
Wow, Splinter's really being a dick right now, eh?

Arc's coming along nicely. Unexpected turns, focus on all parties, continued Baxter involvement (a huge plus for me, personally), cool indie art style, it's good stuff. I just feel SO bad for Slash. What's he gonna do when he finds out what "he" did? Off himself? Sacrifice himself (to take down Bishop, perhaps) in homage to Archie? Either way, poor guy.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #49
AlessandraDC
Thug
 
AlessandraDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wow, Splinter's really being a dick right now, eh?

Arc's coming along nicely. Unexpected turns, focus on all parties, continued Baxter involvement (a huge plus for me, personally), cool indie art style, it's good stuff. I just feel SO bad for Slash. What's he gonna do when he finds out what "he" did? Off himself? Sacrifice himself (to take down Bishop, perhaps) in homage to Archie? Either way, poor guy.
Agreed! I wasn't expecting all of this when this arc first started. I really hope Leo's eyes are wide open finally. He's tried to be respectful and play by Splinter's rules and has been completely dismissed by their dad. I was surprised that Jennika ended up helping them too!
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 08:42 AM   #50
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wow, Splinter's really being a dick right now, eh?

Arc's coming along nicely. Unexpected turns, focus on all parties, continued Baxter involvement (a huge plus for me, personally), cool indie art style, it's good stuff. I just feel SO bad for Slash. What's he gonna do when he finds out what "he" did? Off himself? Sacrifice himself (to take down Bishop, perhaps) in homage to Archie? Either way, poor guy.
That's what I'm thinking. You reminding me that it'd be an Archie connection just adds more weight to that theory! Completely forgot about Slash taking out Maligna in style...
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #51
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
I was surprised that Jennika ended up helping them too!
I had the horrible thought last night that Jennika's decision to help the Turtles could be a death sentence if Splinter finds out, with his current feudal lord mindset. What if #80 ends with Splinter himself or one of his assassins cutting her down, and then Rat King steps out from behind Splinter's chair and it's revealed that he's been whispering in Splinter's ear the whole time? Not gonna happen, most likely, but it would be a shocker of an ending for sure.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #52
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I had the horrible thought last night that Jennika's decision to help the Turtles could be a death sentence if Splinter finds out, with his current feudal lord mindset. What if #80 ends with Splinter himself or one of his assassins cutting her down, and then Rat King steps out from behind Splinter's chair and it's revealed that he's been whispering in Splinter's ear the whole time? Not gonna happen, most likely, but it would be a shocker of an ending for sure.
Bobby has repeatedly told us Rat King is NOT manipulating Splinter. This is all Splinter's doing.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #53
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,406
I know, I almost mentioned that in the previous post, but it would be a sick ending nonetheless. If RK were involved and had a hold over the Foot, I don't think his plan would "merely" involve New Yorkers disappear or whatever it is he'll be up to in Kingdom of Rats.

I still think something bad will happen to Jennika, though.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #54
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I know, I almost mentioned that in the previous post, but it would be a sick ending nonetheless. If RK were involved and had a hold over the Foot, I don't think his plan would "merely" involve New Yorkers disappear or whatever it is he'll be up to in Kingdom of Rats.

I still think something bad will happen to Jennika, though.
I've previously theorized that Rat King IS influencing the Foot Clan, not just through Splinter...

I suspect Jennika.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:35 AM   #55
AlessandraDC
Thug
 
AlessandraDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've previously theorized that Rat King IS influencing the Foot Clan, not just through Splinter...

I suspect Jennika.
Oooh that would be interesting if it was through Jennika. I'd rather he NOT be controlling Splinter. Knowing that Splinter is capable of being so much like Saki is intriguing.
AlessandraDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #56
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandraDC View Post
Oooh that would be interesting if it was through Jennika. I'd rather he NOT be controlling Splinter. Knowing that Splinter is capable of being so much like Saki is intriguing.
Think about it. What's more chaotic... somebody turning Machiavellian (Splinter) by outside manipulation? Or a middle man (or kunoichi) helping usher in a showdown between former family members (Jennika)?

I think the latter is more Rat King's style. The former is Kitsune's.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #57
PApagreg
Mad Scientist
 
PApagreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,460
I really hope nobody is influencing Splinter and this is at least 85 percent him because the idea of Splinter being a Foot Clan leader would't be as interesting if someone was controlling him.
__________________
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #58
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Back in Texas
Posts: 4,409
I do think that Splinter is being controlled to some capacity.

For the Rat King, the Foot-EPF teamup would mean bringing chaos on faster than without their team up, but that would mean Splinter being unrelentingly insistent that the people trying to kill mutants like him are good partners for fighting off aliens.

We've Splinter show similar behavior to this before - when he was demanding to focus on Shredder as a low-level threat over the high-level threat that was the Technodrome. The differences is that the turtles were able to get him to sit down and shut up. This time, it's different.

But there is one interesting thing I just realized about Splinter's behavior:

Donatello almost died the last time he took their advice. Why should he do it again if it means the risk of losing one of his sons again. And this time...he doesn't have Fugitoid around to help.
__________________
Decent Ch'rell avatar pending: September

To my DeviantArt
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #59
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,224
Yeah I think Slash will eventually die, not anytime soon but a bit further down the line. He died in the Archie series (granted all the Mutanimals including Leatherhead died in Archie), but his continued control by Bishop makes it obvious his character is going to try to redeem himself.

As said, Bishop inevitably leading to Slash's death will cause Old Hob to go beserk over losing his first real friend and oldest member of the Mutanimals and would seek vengeance. It would make a great arc in the future.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #60
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 2,312
The art in this issue was great. The heavier brushwork, deep shadows, and simple, smooth lines give the pages a lively and smooth finish.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#thestockmanconspiracy, baxterstockmantruther

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.