The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #21
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
As the arc comes to a close, in the real world we have a real disease, an increased emphasis on the need for the sort of restrictions we see in things like borders, but also debates about to what extent the government should go to restricting peopleís behavior for the public good. Itís...a bit odd to look back on that now. Not sure what that all means, if anything, but itís weird.
It means some people were right and walls/strict borders are a useful thing. If only my own country had enforced ours sooner, dozens of people would still be alive because we got the virus in here from just a handful of outside infected who got through our ridiculously lax entry points. (And the airports are still in Rhett Butler mode to this day.) Turns out, there's a pretty good reason why a house is a collection of walls with a roof over them and a door to lock at night. Who knew...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #22
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

First off I was thinking fall of the Berlin Wall when I saw the topic without realizing it was in the TMNT comic section. I believe others thought the same.

As far as the TMNT moving to Mutant Town its disappointing because I love the concept of a Cold War era bunker under an abandoned church. I have hope they will have it to fall back to it eventually. I do have to ask though, what part of New York City is the church and bunker located and where is Mutant Town supposed to be in NYC?

Also, when did Madame Null communicate with aliens in IDW?

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #23
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
First off I was thinking fall of the Berlin Wall when I saw the topic without realizing it was in the TMNT comic section. I believe others thought the same.
Hey, maybe that's it? Some bumbling politician says the wrong thing and everyone misinterprets it as authorised demolotion!

Quote:
As far as the TMNT moving to Mutant Town its disappointing because I love the concept of a Cold War era bunker under an abandoned church. I have hope they will have it to fall back to it eventually. I do have to ask though, what part of New York City is the church and bunker located and where is Mutant Town supposed to be in NYC?
Manhattan, I assume that because most of the series takes place in Manhattan. The problem is that there are plenty of parks in Manhattan and there appears to be none near Mutant Town. And New York in general seems to have a grid-layout when it comes to it's structure, but it's hard to tell how Mutant Town looks.

Quote:
Also, when did Madame Null communicate with aliens in IDW?
Don't remember the exact issue but she was on the phone and there was a bunch of monitors around her depicting space stuff, strongly implying she was talking to aliens. Also I think it's safe to assume Null isn't from Earth, on account of the red skin and horns...

Yeah, this keeps bugging me, why is nobody in-universe asking about that? If you were talking to a stereotypical looking demon, don't you think that would come up in conversation?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #24
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Hey, maybe that's it? Some bumbling politician says the wrong thing and everyone misinterprets it as authorised demolotion!

Manhattan, I assume that because most of the series takes place in Manhattan. The problem is that there are plenty of parks in Manhattan and there appears to be none near Mutant Town. And New York in general seems to have a grid-layout when it comes to it's structure, but it's hard to tell how Mutant Town looks.

Don't remember the exact issue but she was on the phone and there was a bunch of monitors around her depicting space stuff, strongly implying she was talking to aliens. Also I think it's safe to assume Null isn't from Earth, on account of the red skin and horns...

Yeah, this keeps bugging me, why is nobody in-universe asking about that? If you were talking to a stereotypical looking demon, don't you think that would come up in conversation?
I am a history major. *shrugs*

I found our answer, TMNT Universe#20. Madame Null's plot played out is such small pieces largely outside of the main title it is easy to forget things about her. My main interest in regards to Null is what deal she made with Baxter when he was candidate for the mayoral race. Though, I agree it is odd how people don't at least have though bubbles questioning her appearance. I am surprised Archie never got into exactly what Null was. I would not even know who to ask aside from bugging Dan Berger.
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2018/...iverse-20.html

Old 04-09-2020, 09:49 AM   #25
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I don't want to speak for everyone else but I'm pretty sure most others thought of a different wall. They can't come down if they already did.

Quote:
I do have to ask though, what part of New York City is the church and bunker located and where is Mutant Town supposed to be in NYC?
There's a handy map at the end of #101. Both Mutant Town and the church bunker are in the East Village/Lower East Side area.

Quote:
Watch it be Ravenwood who does it! But not before we get Stockman saying "Ich bin ein Mutanten!"...
Old 04-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #26
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior

Actually the reason I stared this thread was because I was reminded of the situation of east and west berlin. Hob wants total freedom away from humans so in away he's trying to make is own country. The EPF are essentially trying to keep people seperate. I'm wondering if some of the epfs that were mutated are the "spies" in mutant town. Although it would be kinda cool to see a mutant that acted like Walter Mathew in in the movie hopscotch.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:30 AM   #27
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
Actually the reason I stared this thread was because I was reminded of the situation of east and west berlin. Hob wants total freedom away from humans so in away he's trying to make is own country. The EPF are essentially trying to keep people seperate. I'm wondering if some of the epfs that were mutated are the "spies" in mutant town. Although it would be kinda cool to see a mutant that acted like Walter Mathew in in the movie hopscotch.
I guess I could see that, but there really hasn't been a geopolitical situation quite like the one in Mutant Town in real life. (And fortunately so.) It would be akin to letting concentration camp victims or POWs have free run of the facilities while the guards only manned the walls and turned a blind eye to everything else. It's much more in line with Arkham City from the recent Batman games, if anything.

And yeah, I think Mona Lisa is a spy. Not necessarily for the EPF, but she seems too good to be true.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #28
Igglet
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
I was actually going to make a post comparing it to the Berlin Wall but eventually kind of shrugged and decided not to. I think it's gonna play out in a somewhat similar way. Word of what's going on inside the walls and how it's not really a 'quarantine' but a test experiment will come out, perhaps April will be the whistleblower. People are going to start protesting, asking for the mutants to be let out, many of the mutants are family members of humans on the other side of the wall after all. I can't help but think that it'll reinforce a hopeful message of us all being people despite deceiving appearances, it just seems very in-line with what the run seems to be going for.
Igglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #29
lonewarrior20
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
I was actually going to make a post comparing it to the Berlin Wall but eventually kind of shrugged and decided not to. I think it's gonna play out in a somewhat similar way. Word of what's going on inside the walls and how it's not really a 'quarantine' but a test experiment will come out, perhaps April will be the whistleblower. People are going to start protesting, asking for the mutants to be let out, many of the mutants are family members of humans on the other side of the wall after all. I can't help but think that it'll reinforce a hopeful message of us all being people despite deceiving appearances, it just seems very in-line with what the run seems to be going for.
I'm really wondering how many wealthy and influential people were mutated at stockmans announcement. Then again their assets were probably seized or frozen.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #30
Mutant Ninja Anole
Hench Mutant

I joked about it earlier, but actually do wonder if an event, another invasion, whatever, might actually put Mutant Town in a position of wanting the wall in place for the time being, or seizing control to keep people out. Zombie outbreak? Itís the safest place in the city (if it actually works well enough).
Old 04-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #31
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
There's a handy map at the end of #101. Both Mutant Town and the church bunker are in the East Village/Lower East Side area.
Looked it up, so in real life the exact location of the church looks like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/seG2ic5secHqmMAUA

And the most notable landmark of the area would be this, I guess?:

Quote:

And yeah, I think Mona Lisa is a spy. Not necessarily for the EPF, but she seems too good to be true.
Another theory I've had is that Mona is a Salamandrian posing as a Mutant to gain intel for some alien entity. Obviously the Salamandrians have not been introduced but such a twist wouldn't work if they had been. Plus we know from Ace Duck that aliens don't have to look that different from mutants.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #32
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Looked it up, so in real life the exact location of the church looks like this:
https://www.emporis.com/images/show/...g-avenue-c.jpg
Looks about as far as one can go from a ruined church with even more levels and square footage below ground. Fascinating to know nonetheless.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #33
neatoman
Emperor

A bit of relevant information that most people seem to have forgotten about, myself included until recently. Assuming it's not a trick (which I do assume it is), all you appearently need to do in order to reverse mutation in IDW is to cycle the mutagen out of your system, as explained by the Gang of Four:
Spoiler:

Don't really think I like that idea, seems a little too easy, but it has been established. Though by the end of that issue we see that the cybernetics are so extensive that we might not even be seeing mutations at all, but rather some kind of non-biological shapeshifting.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:02 PM   #34
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
A bit of relevant information that most people seem to have forgotten about, myself included until recently. Assuming it's not a trick (which I do assume it is), all you appearently need to do in order to reverse mutation in IDW is to cycle the mutagen out of your system, as explained by the Gang of Four:

Don't really think I like that idea, seems a little too easy, but it has been established. Though by the end of that issue we see that the cybernetics are so extensive that we might not even be seeing mutations at all, but rather some kind of non-biological shapeshifting.
I took that to mean it doesn't apply to normal/random mutations, but only to those that occur in very specific conditions, paired with cybernetic implants.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #35
Mutant Ninja Anole
Hench Mutant

I've actually thought, Null offering to reverse the mutation, at the cost of servitude or the sort of cybernetic implants that make you their property and track your activity for better ad targeting would be in character.

That comic does actually seem to lay out Null's operating philosophy well.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:48 AM   #36
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
I've actually thought, Null offering to reverse the mutation, at the cost of servitude or the sort of cybernetic implants that make you their property and track your activity for better ad targeting would be in character.

That comic does actually seem to lay out Null's operating philosophy well.
But would that method work for pre-existing mutations? That's the question it all hinges on.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #37
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
But would that method work for pre-existing mutations? That's the question it all hinges on.
Again, according to gang of four, it seemingly will. That's how they tried to bribe Dreadmon. How truthful they are though, that's a different matter...
Hahahaha!
Old 04-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #38
Powder
Salami Origami

Really? Nobody posted this? Shame on you, TMNT fans.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #39
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Again, according to gang of four, it seemingly will. That's how they tried to bribe Dreadmon. How truthful they are though, that's a different matter...
Or it could work for him (and others like Bebop, Rocksteady and the Mutant Town crowd) because they were originally human. And yeah, that's if they're trustworthy, which, given they work for Null...
Old 04-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Or it could work for him (and others like Bebop, Rocksteady and the Mutant Town crowd) because they were originally human. And yeah, that's if they're trustworthy, which, given they work for Null...
...you can Null-ify it.

I would argue the role that Null's supposed to play in IDWverse is the biggest ongoing unanswered question. We never got true insight in Archie's TMNT Adventures where the character originated from either.

The only other one is Krang's role in the TMNT and Splinter's resurrection.