The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

The Shadow

We all know the most popular Superheroes. Batman, Superman, Spider-man, The Flash, Wonder Woman etc. The List is huge. But who a lot people don't know about is a character that pre-dates all of them, and while he isn't a Superhero in the sense we know now, he laid the foundations for characters like Batman

The Shadow started out in a very successful radio show from 1937 til 1954. He also starred in the 'Pulps' from roughly the same time, before branching out into Comic Books, Newspaper strips, Film Serials, and 1 feature length movie from the 1990s.

Back in the peak of his popularity, The Shadow was arguably just as Popular as Batman was at the peak of his popularity. Able to 'Cloud the minds of Men' to appear invisible, the Shadow's Maniacal laughter froze criminals in their tracks. Wearing a wide-brimmed black hat and a black, crimson-lined cloak with an upturned collar over a standard black business suit, it's clear that the Shadow was arguably the 'First' Superhero.

In most recent years, he stars alongside Batman in an ongoing DC Comic series.

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

The Shadow knows...

Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I've known of the character for my entire life and am passingly familiar with him. But never read, watched, or listened to anything The Shadow.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Superman

How many people know about the original 'Superman'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reign_of_the_Superman
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I've known of the character for my entire life and am passingly familiar with him. But never read, watched, or listened to anything The Shadow.
I would recommend giving the 1940 Movie Serial a go, or giving the Radio series a go

Both are on YouTube. The 1940 Serial was my introduction to the character
Old 05-20-2019, 03:08 PM   #5
Leo656
The Franchise

Sadly my Shadow interactions are also very limited.

I have some of the wretched DC series from the 80s where he became a cyborg or whatever. But I've never actually read them. What the f*ck were they thinking?

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have read a few issues from waaay back, and heard one or two radio episodes. And the movie from the 90's, of course.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Sadly my Shadow interactions are also very limited.

I have some of the wretched DC series from the 80s where he became a cyborg or whatever. But I've never actually read them. What the f*ck were they thinking?
Robocop was big. Doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense in context, just as long as they cash in on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I have read a few issues from waaay back, and heard one or two radio episodes. And the movie from the 90's, of course.
Is the 90s Movie any good? I'm considering buying it
Old 05-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #8
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
It was okay. Not great, but decent.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatswiththeheadbands? View Post
Robocop was big. Doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense in context, just as long as they cash in on it
I guess that's indeed a fair point. I just remember the ads they were running in all of the DC books in '87/'88 or so made it look pretty good, really dark and gritty; you might've seen 'em, the "Guy with a giant hypodermic needle" one, they ran it everywhere. And then I read about it on Wikipedia or something a few years ago and the actual content sounded absolutely dreadful. Talk about a bait-and-switch! Nonetheless, I ended up with a few issues thanks to various grab bags and such, but I've never brought myself to actually read them.

Didn't DC do Shadow books in the 70s that were a lot more faithful? I swear I've seen those somewhere.

I think I'd really dig a new live-action film in the vein of "Sin City" or something like that. The character definitely deserves it. But I'm pretty sure the abysmal failure of movies like "The Spirit", "Green Hornet", and "The Lone Ranger" has pretty much killed both noir comic book films as well as any of "Your Granddaddy's Radio/Comic Strip" features for the foreseeable future.

Because it's not that those adaptations were simply bad, goodness knows; it's that anything "Too Old" simply won't sell because Millenials can't fathom a world from before the Internet and cell phones.

I mean, I guess I understand. I definitely wouldn't want to see a modern reinterpretation - I think the property works best as a period piece set firmly within the time of its conception - but snark aside, nobody under 40 is gonna sit through that. Which really sucks. But I can already hear the kids sassing it; "So instead of armor... dude wears a scarf?" It is what it is, I guess.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I guess that's indeed a fair point. I just remember the ads they were running in all of the DC books in '87/'88 or so made it look pretty good, really dark and gritty; you might've seen 'em, the "Guy with a giant hypodermic needle" one, they ran it everywhere. And then I read about it on Wikipedia or something a few years ago and the actual content sounded absolutely dreadful. Talk about a bait-and-switch! Nonetheless, I ended up with a few issues thanks to various grab bags and such, but I've never brought myself to actually read them.

Didn't DC do Shadow books in the 70s that were a lot more faithful? I swear I've seen those somewhere.

I think I'd really dig a new live-action film in the vein of "Sin City" or something like that. The character definitely deserves it. But I'm pretty sure the abysmal failure of movies like "The Spirit", "Green Hornet", and "The Lone Ranger" has pretty much killed both noir comic book films as well as any of "Your Granddaddy's Radio/Comic Strip" features for the foreseeable future.

Because it's not that those adaptations were simply bad, goodness knows; it's that anything "Too Old" simply won't sell because Millenials can't fathom a world from before the Internet and cell phones.

I mean, I guess I understand. I definitely wouldn't want to see a modern reinterpretation - I think the property works best as a period piece set firmly within the time of its conception - but snark aside, nobody under 40 is gonna sit through that. Which really sucks. But I can already hear the kids sassing it; "So instead of armor... dude wears a scarf?" It is what it is, I guess.
Orson Welles, who Voiced the Shadow early on the Radio (and who directed a little known Movie by the name of Citizen Kane), tried to make a Shadow movie in the 40s, but couldn't get the rights.

I also think the Character deserves a modern movie. But the Shadow's really obscure to modern audiences, that it probably wouldn't make an impact anyway

Shame really

Last edited by Whatswiththeheadbands?; 05-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:19 PM   #11
Leo656
The Franchise

It's kinda like John Carter; all the stuff that ripped it off went on to far greater fame, so when someone "reintroduces" it to a new audience, nobody cares because it all feels like a dated retread.

Real shame. People have no sense of history anymore.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

America in the 1930s/1940s from a design and aesthetics view point, is one of my favorite time periods. Watching the 1940 Shadow Serial and seeing everyone drive around in those old style cars and the villains dressing in Suits and Ties with the bowler hats was really great to look at

Made me realize again that people dressed like that. it's easy to forget that stuff isn't just made up for movies and shows
Old 05-20-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

A certain hair band from 1989 remembered The Shadow.
Spoiler:

Last edited by DarkFell; 05-20-2019 at 08:46 PM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Probably my favorite episode yet of the Radio series

Old 06-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #16
Sumac
Banned

I know of him only because of the movie, which I really like still.
But aside from it, I am not familiar with the rest of his mythology.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
I know of him only because of the movie, which I really like still.
But aside from it, I am not familiar with the rest of his mythology.
I'd recommend the 1940 Serial, featuring Victor Jory as The Shadow.

I'm also working my way through the original Radio series, which the 1994 movie drew a lot of inspiration from in terms of style and tone

Modern versions include The Shadow: Year One, the current Batman crossover comics and from the 80s, there was The Shadow: Blood and Judgement (his equivalent of The Dark Knight Returns)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #18
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Just finished this. Really well done, although I find the art isn't all that great. A few twists and turns. No one really outshines anyone here.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #19
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

James Patterson, Conde Nast Reviving The Shadow In New Original Book Series

I know this thread is a year old, but it looks like there's going to be new Shadow novels in the near future, penned by famous writer James Patterson

https://deadline.com/2020/07/james-p...NP1ZNgZ1dKsZ6Y

Quote:
James Patterson and Cond? Nast are teaming to revive vintage crime fighter The Shadow in a series of books that will also aim to be adapted for the screen.

Hachette Book Group imprint Little, Brown will publish the original series, whose first installment is due out in the fall of 2021. Cond? Nast has long controlled licensing for the character via its Street & Smith subsidiary.

The Shadow, a signature New York vigilante, originated in the 1930s as a series of pulp novels by Walter B. Gibson. A popular radio drama based on the books featured the voice of Orson Welles. In 1994, Universal released a feature film adaptation starring Alec Baldwin.

?Who can forget The Shadow?s historic tagline, ?Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men???, Patterson said in the official announcement. ?Well, The Shadow knows. And soon readers will, too. I?ve long been a fan of The Shadow and am looking forward to bringing his legendary character to life in the modern age.?

?James Patterson is the all-time master of the American thriller genre,? said Markus Grindel, Managing Director, Global Brand Licensing, Cond? Nast. ?The origins of that genre began with The Shadow stories of New York?s golden age. There?s a natural creative match at work here along with a significant through-line.?

Bill Robinson of James Patterson Entertainment said the goal of the reboot was to introduce a new generation to the character and his world. ?As we launch the new series of Shadow books, we will also plot the course of the Shadow?s return to the screen together with Cond? Nast Entertainment,? he said.

?Knowing that James Patterson has created some of the most enduring crime fighters of all-time, the future of The Shadow couldn?t be in better hands,? said Neil McGinness, who manages the Street & Smith superhero universe.

Last edited by Whatswiththeheadbands?; 07-17-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #20
PizzaPower1985
Stone Warrior

I almost loathe to mention this, given his recent trajectory in life, BUT, have you read The Shadow Strikes by Gerard Jones and Ed Barretto? Amazing Shadow stories but because of what Jones is doing these days (in prison for some despicable crimes) maybe he shouldn't be mentioned at all. The work is def. good tho.

31 issues plus 1 annual plus a crossover with DOC SAVAGE!
PizzaPower1985 is offline   Reply With Quote