The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

PlayStation Classic Announced

Will cost $100 bucks and have 20 games, launches in December
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/1...e-date-pricing

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
Will cost $100 bucks and have 20 games, launches in December
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/1...e-date-pricing
Whatever succeeds for Nintendo will have a Sony variation two years later.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Honestly, Nintendo's been late to the party. They've been selling Genesis and Atari Flashback type consoles for years.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Honestly, Nintendo's been late to the party. They've been selling Genesis and Atari Flashback type consoles for years.
Who cares who did it first and that other companies want to try doing the same thing for their past consoles?

As for this PS1 classic... well I didn't grow up with the console and only played it on emulators some years ago, so this console means nothing to me. I also did not care for the Mini NES, Mini SNES and the Mega Drive clones since I own or have played most of the games they offer, so I'm certainly not gonna get a PS1 Classic, a console whose games are from the early 3D days that have aged horribly graphics wise and have better sequels and possibly remakes out there.

It's cool to have these sort of novelty items around for people who want to play these consoles for the first time after all these years, though.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Baffling to me. If the idea is retro gaming... you can go on eBay right now and buy an actual Playstation 1 for $100. If the idea is FAKE retro gaming... why not just do emulation?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Baffling to me. If the idea is retro gaming... you can go on eBay right now and buy an actual Playstation 1 for $100. If the idea is FAKE retro gaming... why not just do emulation?
Well for one thing, this console won't be used but brand new and despite costing 100 dollars it will include 25 PS1 classics, unlike a PS1 on ebay where the system only itself would cost just as much.

A lot of people prefer to own something and paying for it than simply pirating. Everyone pirates to some degree, but surely you enjoy more stuff you actually paid for with your hard earned money than stuff you just pirated and downloaded in a few minutes?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
A lot of people prefer to own something and paying for it than simply pirating. Everyone pirates to some degree, but surely you enjoy more stuff you actually paid for with your hard earned money than stuff you just pirated and downloaded in a few minutes?
True. But if we're talking about games and systems I already bought or were bought for me eons ago... not really, no. I don't have a moral dilemma acquiring them again.

Unless they're like radically improved and have a new engine.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
True. But if we're talking about games and systems I already bought or were bought for me eons ago... not really, no. I don't have a moral dilemma acquiring them again.

Unless they're like radically improved and have a new engine.
Well I wasn't referring to you specifically but generally speaking.

I've always seen these type of consoles as being aimed more towards people who haven't played games regularly since 1999, anyway. These type of mini replicas are a perfect money making opportunity for people who want a blast from the past nostalgia induced trip without having to hunt for good deals on ebay. They could also just easily download an emulator and a bunch of roms and save 100 bucks, but I'm guessing people who haven't really gamed since 1999 no longer even have their old consoles, so this is an easy way for them to feel like they own them again.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #9
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Part of the appeal is the mini systems are cute. The novelty of having an official machine in small form.

It’ll be interesting to see how it gets hacked. I haven’t downloaded any for a long time but I remember ps1 roms are big files.

I wish Sega would make they’re own mini Genesis and Dreamcast. Not AT games versions. I already have those 2 normal systems but minis would be cool. They could do Saturn too. A lot of people seem to want that emulation.

I know it’s said that Saturn is hard to emulate but Sega must know how to do it properly.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
I wish Sega would make they’re own mini Genesis and Dreamcast. Not AT games versions. I already have those 2 normal systems but minis would be cool. They could do Saturn too. A lot of people seem to want that emulation.

I know it’s said that Saturn is hard to emulate but Sega must know how to do it properly.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that officially licensed Sega emulation has been so shoddy, even since the Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 on Dreamcast, the sound degradation being the biggest problem. Their PC versions were usually well done, even if it meant composing entirely new music and sound effects for the port. The AT Games clones aren't doing the company's legacy any favors.

View my sketch work!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Yeah, it's unfortunate that officially licensed Sega emulation has been so shoddy, even since the Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 on Dreamcast, the sound degradation being the biggest problem. Their PC versions were usually well done, even if it meant composing entirely new music and sound effects for the port. The AT Games clones aren't doing the company's legacy any favors.
I do have one of the small portable AT games systems and it plays well enough. I haven’t had any noticeable problems. I just think a Genesis/Dreamcast done directly by Sega would be better.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:37 AM   #12
Roseangelo
Emperor

I have the NES mini and SNES mini, and I have the PS1 mini already pre-ordered.

I realize there are cheaper options available, but I appreciate the novelty of the cute mini-console package. Instead of managing large, clunky systems that have outdated connections to my TV, I can simply stack them all together and swap out an HDMI cable as needed.

For the Nintendo systems, there is nothing like using an authentic controller. For the PS1, I do with they would have gone with the dual analog controllers, even at increased cost.

While I haven't gone through the process of hacking my Nintendo minis, I appreciate that I could spend an afternoon uploading the entire library of each system onto each console. And I expect the same will happen with the PS1. While I have very minimal nostalgia for PS1 games in general, there are a few that I will appreciate having an authentic experience for.

But if Nintendo ever comes through with an N64 mini... watch out. The Internet might just implode on itself.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:03 AM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
I have the NES mini and SNES mini, and I have the PS1 mini already pre-ordered.

I realize there are cheaper options available, but I appreciate the novelty of the cute mini-console package. Instead of managing large, clunky systems that have outdated connections to my TV, I can simply stack them all together and swap out an HDMI cable as needed.

For the Nintendo systems, there is nothing like using an authentic controller. For the PS1, I do with they would have gone with the dual analog controllers, even at increased cost.

While I haven't gone through the process of hacking my Nintendo minis, I appreciate that I could spend an afternoon uploading the entire library of each system onto each console. And I expect the same will happen with the PS1. While I have very minimal nostalgia for PS1 games in general, there are a few that I will appreciate having an authentic experience for.

But if Nintendo ever comes through with an N64 mini... watch out. The Internet might just implode on itself.
Why would it implore more than with the PS1? I mean the PS1 sold more 50 or 60 million units, I think, than the N64 did worldwide. Granted the N64 had games that are loved by many such as Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Ocarina of Time, but...

Just wait until we get to the eventual day where there's gonna be mini PS2s, GameCubes and original Xboxes. Now THAT will make people go apesh*t. Especially when it comes to the GC since many of its games are hard to find nowadays for low prices.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #14
Roseangelo
Emperor

The biggest critisism of the PS1 mini that I’ve seen is that most of the games haven’t aged very well. And I think this is pretty fair. But, like you acknowledge, there are some petty big classic titles on the N64. Having instant access to all of them would be pretty nice.

Oh, and I totally support keeping going with all of the systems that could support the mini format.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

It would be worth it, for just the Dino Crisis and Resident evil games. They still are very playable.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #16
Allio
Foot Elite

well sad to say only a handful of the games were really big names like Resident Evil and Metal Gear. Most of everything else is...meh.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #17
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

No Spyro, No Crash, No Symphony of the Night? No Thanks.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No Spyro, No Crash, No Symphony of the Night? No Thanks.
Yeah, one would think those are PSnObrainers for inclusion!

View my sketch work!
Old 11-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #19
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Yeah, one would think those are PSnObrainers for inclusion!
see what you did their clever
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:39 PM   #20
Sumac
Banned

Konami have just released Castlevania Requiem, which includes Symphony of the Night and original Rondo of Blood, so absence of SOTN on PS1 Classic is not a surprise.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote