The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Teachers/Professors you'll never forget

Back when we were students(well a few of us still are here) we all had teachers we liked, teachers we disliked and teachers we didn't care much about. Some of the teachers were memorable for better or for worse.

In my case I can think of two in particular: first, a teacher in 11th grade who was only 26 years old and had just started working as a teacher. Guy in class kept telling us stories of him getting drunk when he was younger and also told us a few other interesting stories from his trips and experiences with friends. He also talked football a lot with us. Yet, he still found time to teach us the subject material and made challenging enough tests.

Often, you'd forget he was a teacher and not just a fellow student and would almost talk to him informally, but the guy didn't really mind/care . He only lasted for like 3-4 months. On his last day he broke it to us he had quit and that he realised he wasn't cut out to be a teacher and was starting to feel like he was a kid who didn't want to go to school every morning.

Then there's a professor I had in university who was a guy in his 50s. He basically taught us philosophy/history related classes. What stood out about his personality? Well imagine Dr. House in real life with a few differences. He wasn't a doctor nor did he carry a cane. He was a favourite of many students and at the same time was feared and disliked by many as well.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

For now, I'll start with one of my college teachers, who I swear is pretty proud of me.

Because I do not consider myself the perfect student. I struggled to be my own client in my classes and that affected my grades. During my final semester, one of my teachers was able to use an hour of her office time every Friday for a month to help me rescue a project I was floundering on and I can't thank her enough for that.

Both my lady teachers were pretty proud of me for pulling through, but I think she was especially relieved.

For sure, my content mastery teachers through elementary school and middle school were my rocks.
I was horrendous in math all my life, and in elementary school, I was able to learn math in content mastery and that's where I actually learned and did well. Eventually, that program had to end and I had to take regular classes like everyone else, but I couldn't keep up. Turns out I have dyscalculia. Which would explain a lot.

However, I think those teachers helped me in a lot of social ways and gave me teachers I could consistently rely on every year, since I was a weird kid.

I haven't seen either of them in years, but I hope I can contact at least one of them.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I had one chick in elementary school who had some serious cakes and was always wearing visible thongs to accentuate them.

Maybe I should go see her and spit some game.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:09 AM   #4
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
I had one chick in elementary school who had some serious cakes and was always wearing visible thongs to accentuate them.

What-What do those phrases even mean?! 0_o

I had one sixth grade teacher who would always talk about her childhood ... which was inordinately strange.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

Quote:

Putting underwear on cake is just plain unhygienic. I'd report her.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:27 AM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:

I had a hot English teacher in 12th grade. She had nice knockers. But she wasn't very memorable personality-wise.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:34 AM   #7
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I actually did have a teacher that was arrested for sleeping with a senior-year student. Maybe three? I never got all the details. She was no longer teaching me at the time, but my first tries at photoshop were in her class.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:36 AM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I actually did have a teacher that was arrested for sleeping with a senior-year student. Maybe three? I never got all the details. She was no longer teaching me at the time, but my first tries at photoshop were in her class.
Fortunately I've never heard of a case like that in any of the schools I've attended, but you do hear about that kind of stuff happening on the news at times.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:52 AM   #9
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It was close to the end of the school year and it was like...you can't wait a few more weeks???

Granted, it's still pretty bad. Even if they were legally adults, she was roughly in her late thirties, I think. Still super creepy.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:14 AM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

4th grade teacher. Mr. Renz. Totally inspiring. Made us write stories every week, then every week he'd read them to the class. I wrote a lot about Castlevania and my best friend (who is still my best friend) would write about Mega Man. We'd have dueling stories every week and kind of compete for reactions, it was great.

Now that same teacher secures me, like, airplane hangars and boats for movie shoots. It is fantastic.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:30 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Yo, that actually is pretty cool!

My brother is still in touch with his choir director.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:43 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

There's my old 10th grade teacher, we was his last year before retirement. He was a hard ass that twisted a classmates arm during gym class for joking around. he also told stories about his childhood during and after WWII and he was obsessed about sailboats

Then there was Ms. Sofie, she was also a older teacher who was pretty strict. She slapped a student over her fingers with as ruler due to accidentally breaking another ruler, 1950's style punishment. But she could be nice if you got on her goods side, I didn't have much issues with her.

Then there was the 8th grade substitute teacher who groped and massaged the boys on class and got very personal, he didn't last long.

another substitute who was 9th grade math teacher, he didn't know math and always checked the answers on the back of the book. he also was a bit of a creep at some girls. He was most notable for his macho swagger walking style yet he wasn't buff he was fired a couple of years after I finished 10th grade.

And there's the teacher who's job was helping and watching a kid that had really bad ADHD, but instead he aggravated him and riled up the kid to physically attack other kids.

6Th Grade teacher was a huge bitch, and we where all afraid of her, she was really quick at giving out detentions.

Second year of secondary school was rough with the teacher I had did not like my art style, and being at a art school it wasn't fun. She'd always come with backhanded comments and snide remarks.

Some more positive memorable teachers...

My 1st-3rd grade teacher was the best, she was caring and understanding, and we where supposed to have her longer, but she injuring her hip during a school experiment.

my teacher at last secondary school year was pretty cool, she was very into different art styles, how to paint and use of colors and she was good at teaching. And she was Miss Europe 1963, something we managed to dig up during our Russ Celebration.

during most of 1st-10th grade we had the same Sloyd teacher, and he was a lot of fun, he always had some crazy stories about him and his buddies from his youth. he's now my neighbor for the second time as he owns a house just across the road of my apartment.

Second year of secondary school, the math teacher we had was amazing at teaching math. We only had math one year through secondary school, but while I was dreading it she helped me get some math and I had falling off that wagon since 3rd grade when we due to school reform had to go from 3rd to 5th grade, I was told when I didn't understand the math that I should know 5th grade math by now. And after that I just didn't give two ***** about math and teachers didn't notice and/or care about it until 10th grade when I got into a special help class for math, but by then I had zero interest nor was the class any helpful beyond "hey idiots, you should know this by now". So my secondary school math teacher had her work cut out But I went from a 1 to 3 (1 is lowest and 6 is highest).

My primary school was pretty bad and so was most of the teachers, and it is still infamous among other teachers in other counties.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #13
Wesley
Mad Scientist

The teacher that comes to mind for me is the nun who taught me in 1st Year in secondary school. Unbelievably petty about everything and a wolf in sheep’s clothing, she acted like a 90s cartoon villain whenever she got angry, though she once said she didn’t mean to get so angry.

Oddly enough, she was my substitute teacher a few years later and she seemed to have turned into Mary Poppins! Maybe she woke up one morning and understood the mysteries of the universe?

I did enjoy school most of the time, though. Liked most of the teachers I had.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-28-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

One of the top ones is my old graphic arts teacher. Good guy, kind of a goofball and reminded me of an older version of my dad in a way. It was too bad he wasn't a neighbor because I always felt they'd have surely been friends and they certainly clicked as similar spirits at the parent teacher night. (I mean, in class he'd even unknowingly took to calling me the same surname-related nickname my dad's work friends always knew him by.)

My high school was a vo-tech with various areas of study, so I had this guy as a teacher for three years. He was getting up there near retirement age though and was starting to think about it, but all of his kids were always adamant that he wasn't "allowed" to leave until after their own class graduated. lol I'm sure he probably finally got out of their at some point, but who knows how long that took.

Poor old guy is probably in his 80s now. Someday if I ever come across his name in the paper as having passed, he's really the only teacher I'd seriously consider going to the service for. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if other former students showed up.

Hopefully he's still kicking though and doing okay.

Among a scattering of others across various grades, a couple other notable ones were also from the same school. Both of them new teachers there when my class were freshmen so that automatically made them both a couple of our teacher representatives. One was a bit older and taught some kind of fun careers related class. The other was a gym teacher presumably fresh out of college; young and good looking enough that I think most female students probably had the same thought when he walked into the gym the first day of class; esp as I overheard quiet comments when he walked in. lol Young enough that he practically felt like one of the students, esp when later he and one of the female coaches of one of the girl's teams were seeing each other and pretty much everyone knew about it. lol

Anyway... both of them fun guys and, because they were our representative teachers, were two of the four who got to go with us on our Senior trip to Disney. We were pretty much allowed to go enjoy it on our own so they didn't really do much in the way of chaperoning and didn't need to, but when all were together they were definitely a couple of kids at heart to an extent which made it all the funner.

Not sure what became of the older one, he no doubt stayed at the school and maybe he's still there, but I know the gym teacher eventually became a school principal elsewhere.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 09-28-2018 at 01:00 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I was in 1st Grade during the Gulf War, and my dad, who was in the Air Force was deployed because of it...and to my 6 year old mind that meant he was as good as dead. My 1st Grade teacher was...ill prepared...to deal with this fear. I dont remember her fondly.

3rd grade I had a teacher I loved. Same with 5-6th. In fact her I had both years. Just saw them again since my old elementary school is being demolished soon and they recently had a reunion of sorts. It was great to see them again.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 12:24 AM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Can't say I've kept in touch with any former teacher of mine.

I remember once running into an old physics teacher of mine from 7th/8th grade while riding the metro/tube back in 2012, I think? Meaning this was nearly a decade after 7th/8th grade and that I obviously had grown up a lot and aged... yet he recognised me. He waved at me, and then then waved at me again when his stop came and he left. How did he recognise me after all those years, I have no clue.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #17
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
My high school English, History, and Larin teachers. All three were great. Same with my Biology and Physical Science teachers. Some teachers you just really love.

Algebra and Chemistry, on the other hand..... Both were horrible in their own ways.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:45 PM   #18
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

The Digital Art professors that taught me (to an extent) how to enjoy Photoshop, and the one professor that literally got me to where I dislike using Illustrator for vector art.

Mainly, the major shout-out is for my former Ceramics professor. She moved out to another city, but, she made my Ceramics class fun.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote