The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #3961
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Some people are saying the GID Muckman colors design looks like his name backwards
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:54 AM   #3962
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
Another slam dunk.

Very excited for Scratch (love his alternate 'classic kit kat klock' head sculpt). I'm kind of bummed out that I ordered all these figures in waves rather than individually from BBTS....
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:09 AM   #3963
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,115
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:17 AM   #3964
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist
 
jestergoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,139
Fwoosh has shots of Ace Duck, Sewer Surfin' Mikey and Scratch:

https://thefwoosh.com/2022/10/super7...ch-first-look/

I'm real glad it's been confirmed that Mikey's heads work on both Sewer Surfin' and his regular release!
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #3965
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
cancelling my pre-order for ace duck. looks too different from prototype pics. not feeling the bait and switch. comment from the fwoosh really sums it up for me:

Quote:
Damn, Ace Duck looks like when I'm printing a picture but running out of ink. WTF happened? The yellow of his feathers is too bright and saturated, the brown is way too light and unsaturated - Either on its own would be ok, but together he looks just a bright blur of yellowy orange.

They're way off the prototype pictures. I don't know how Super7 didn't flag this after the first samples from production - They really dropped the ball.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #3966
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
According to Fwoosh:

"In fact, this entire series turned out really, really, and that is some great news after series 5 had its share of issues (loose joints have been rough there).

There are no articulation issues with this wave, in fact, it is probably the most rock solid TMNTU! wave yet in terms of joint quality."


Regarding Ace's color palette, something about the golden hues (accidental or not) really makes him pop (the same way Krang's modernized metallics do). I can't tell if he would benefit from a wash or if it is better as is. I love the fact that his alternate head is straight from the prototype ideas; also, very surprised that he came with the cigar (especially, after Super7's Krusty the clown fiasco.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #3967
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
I love the alt head for Ace Duck - that's what got my preorder in the first place. I wish there was a wash on the feathers, but more over I wish the beak was darker and the jacket was darker (like the prototype photos, as they promised). Everything is kind of the same value in terms of light/dark and nothing really pops. The beak kind of just blends into the feathers as a result, and the jacket as well but to a lesser degree.

I think overall the paint deco needs work on Ace. Doesn't feel premium to me. Sculpt is awesome. Paint leaves a lot to be desired. A common trend in this line.

Glad they got the joints right, though!
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #3968
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
I think Scratch looks really cool. More cool than the original figure, IMO. excited to get him.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #3969
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
I love the alt head for Ace Duck - that's what got my preorder in the first place. I wish there was a wash on the feathers, but more over I wish the beak was darker and the jacket was darker (like the prototype photos, as they promised). Everything is kind of the same value in terms of light/dark and nothing really pops. The beak kind of just blends into the feathers as a result, and the jacket as well but to a lesser degree.

I think overall the paint deco needs work on Ace. Doesn't feel premium to me. Sculpt is awesome. Paint leaves a lot to be desired. A common trend in this line.

Glad they got the joints right, though!
If they've truly sorted out the joints (I'd mentioned above, but my Slash is pretty wobbly), then the paint deco is the only other area they need to fix for my personal tastes (and perhaps the hit-and-miss accessories).

Don't get me wrong - some of the figures look great (in this wave, it's the two I had no interest in, unfortunately), and Slash looks almost great... but that Ace? It looks substantially worse than a $20 Marvel Legends figure. I guess I'm just not understanding how they've managed to be so wildly inconsistent with this line, never mind with figures in the same wave. It's particularly annoying with Ace, as he was one of my favorites as a kid, but he's far and away the worst figure (strictly in terms of aesthetics) in the Super7 line so far.

EDIT: Looking more closely at the pictures, it actually looks like they used the correct color of yellow in the hollows where the wings snap in, so I'm especially not clear on how they missed the mark so badly everywhere else.

Last edited by Y2Josh; 10-03-2022 at 03:55 PM.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:03 PM   #3970
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
If they've truly sorted out the joints (I'd mentioned above, but my Slash is pretty wobbly), then the paint deco is the only other area they need to fix for my personal tastes (and perhaps the hit-and-miss accessories).
Oh no! It looks like you've gotten a wobbly one. It seems that the Slash joints vary all across the place. I've seen Slashes with super-tight joints, semi-wobbly joints (only when you shake the figure in the air) and wobbly ones. I've been watching a lot of unboxing videos. Curious to know which one I will end up getting.

On a side note, I would like to see someone paint their S7 Slash with the same colors as the NECA Archie version.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #3971
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,115
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:09 AM   #3972
mikey see
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,080
I'm torn on whether or not to keep my Ace Duck preorder. I think he looks absolutely awful but I'm still slightly optimistic he'll look better in person. But yeah, they didn't come anywhere close to delivering on the aesthetics from the promo pics that we all pledged for a year ago.

I'm getting tired of saying it, but this is so Super7-y of Super7.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #3973
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist
 
jestergoblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,139
With coloring, I'm always a tad suspicious of the super staged photos under bright lights (especially when some of them are further touched up in post) - which isn't how most of us actually see the figures.

Like how the shading on Raph in some photos looked like his face was almost black - but in hand, it's far more subtle.
jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #3974
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
I'm torn on whether or not to keep my Ace Duck preorder. I think he looks absolutely awful but I'm still slightly optimistic he'll look better in person. But yeah, they didn't come anywhere close to delivering on the aesthetics from the promo pics that we all pledged for a year ago.

I'm getting tired of saying it, but this is so Super7-y of Super7.
yup. many of us feel the same way. this is why i don't preorder from s7 directly. i want to see the final product and be able to cancel. and if you really want ace later, despite the flaws, you can probably find him on entertainment earth 6 months from now for $30 or less.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #3975
mikey0
Foot Elite
 
mikey0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,115
The Fwoosh Slash and Mousers First Look: http://thefwoosh.com/2022/10/super7-...rs-first-look/
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:26 PM   #3976
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The Fwoosh Slash and Mousers First Look: http://thefwoosh.com/2022/10/super7-...rs-first-look/
It's really a shame about the deco on the sais, because as stated here, they are absolutely the best sais available in terms of rigidity. To the pack itself, I'd have preferred that it just include five clean Mousers, as I don't personally get a lot of mileage out of the battle-damaged figures (not just with Super7, but pretty much any line ever), and the two here are particularly lazy.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 02:35 PM   #3977
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
yup. many of us feel the same way. this is why i don't preorder from s7 directly. i want to see the final product and be able to cancel. and if you really want ace later, despite the flaws, you can probably find him on entertainment earth 6 months from now for $30 or less.
no reason to buy direct anymore, especially since pre-pay customers get their stuff shipped to them LAST anyway. BBTS has wave 5 and 6 in stock, while Super7 hasn't shipped ****
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #3978
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 457
Toy Shiz has his Wave 6 review up, and he's fairly positive on them, but he sets Ace up with some of the other figures... and man is he tiny.

I will say, though the figure still generally looks awful, there's one of the still shots where the paint looks pretty good.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:15 PM   #3979
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
Toy Shiz has his Wave 6 review up, and he's fairly positive on them, but he sets Ace up with some of the other figures... and man is he tiny.

I will say, though the figure still generally looks awful, there's one of the still shots where the paint looks pretty good.
Ace Duck looks pretty damn cool to me
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:41 PM   #3980
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
I like him. He stands out. Has a lot of character too, especially his alternate head sculpt, goggles and tommy gun. Yeah, he doesn't look like the promo, but I think the quality is still there.

For those that don't like his color palette, you can experiment by repainting the second flight bomber jacket with a deeper shade of brown. It will do wonders to change the apparent contrast level. It's an easy fix, since you don't have to worry about paint spillage or shoddy custom paint-job on the actual figure. You're just focusing on one article of clothing.

Not that it matters. I quite like this glowing fiery sunflower blaze of a figure.

Holy cow! Check out 19:53 of the video. That killer Ace Duck pose has me sold over and over again!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYxMlXlytf4

Last edited by Dask; 10-04-2022 at 09:50 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.