The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #4761
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
YES! Right there with you brother.

The only problem is, Super7 has proven itself unworthy of properly honoring these characters and designs as of late. :/
Super7 only cares about what they want to make. It's evident in every interview Lying Brian does. They could care less about what customer's want. They just hope you buy it while pretending everybody asked for it, just like the over-priced GI Joe Cobra Mothership.
teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 01:46 PM   #4762
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

I guess I'm in the minority for liking all of these figures revealed. I'm even already planning on seeing about getting a blue soft goods robe for this Leo to complete the wandering samurai look (I do like making my own figures stand out from the same ones other people also have). I just really hope the next vintage wave (which I guess is still 2 waves away since the next wave will be 2003 toon) will have music star Raph, to complete that set.

As for Rat King, I'm really glad they still included his handsome face. That's the face I'm gonna be displaying him with! It makes me happy to see that everyone gets what they wanted out of this figure in terms of aesthetic. I had grown so attached to that head that I was actually genuinely bummed out about the change, but now everything's just fine! Just hoping he STAYS handsome from prototype to final product...

I think the only figure I'm "eh" about is the Foot Soldier, but I don't hate it and don't mind snatching one up.
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:30 PM   #4763
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

I am surprised that they say these will be delivered August 2024 - I'm really hoping that means the production issues are behind them. Or who knows, maybe I'll be back here complaining in 22 months.

Also, BBTS has promo shots - Leo looks great.

jestergoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:49 PM   #4764
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestergoblin View Post
I am surprised that they say these will be delivered August 2024 - I'm really hoping that means the production issues are behind them. Or who knows, maybe I'll be back here complaining in 22 months.

Also, BBTS has promo shots - Leo looks great.

https://images.bigbadtoystore.com/im...609531641f.jpg
Oh, wow, that cloth really changes up his look, too! This Leo might actually be one of the figures I'm most excited for. But I'll admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for getting actually new designs (but I still love the recreations of old figures, too).
Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:53 PM   #4765
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:

I've already come to accept that Usagi and Panda Khan probably aren't happening.
I'm still holding out hope for Usagi. Especially with the 180 on Rat King, to return to the Playmates look.

Brian did do an interview where he said that Super7 "have" Uasagi... but it's a pretty old interview by now.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:59 PM   #4766
Otter
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Oh, wow, that cloth really changes up his look, too! This Leo might actually be one of the figures I'm most excited for.
I will definitely get that Leo. He'll go great with an eventual Usagi.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:47 AM   #4767
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I'm sure S7 has some kind of reason, but I really wish that one full wave was the entire set of Rock N Roll turtles, some of my all-time favorite figures. That would have been an easy full-wave preorder for me, but with them being spaced out I'm just going to try to pick them up individually after release.

Really, I don't get why they haven't done more themed releases after they finished with the original 10 figures. Like, a wave of Mutant Military, a wave of Sewer Sports, etc.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:01 AM   #4768
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
I'm sure S7 has some kind of reason, but I really wish that one full wave was the entire set of Rock N Roll turtles, some of my all-time favorite figures. That would have been an easy full-wave preorder for me, but with them being spaced out I'm just going to try to pick them up individually after release.

Really, I don't get why they haven't done more themed releases after they finished with the original 10 figures. Like, a wave of Mutant Military, a wave of Sewer Sports, etc.
While that would be nice it would also mean anyone not interested in that specific variant is skipping a full wave. With the huge gaps between releases skipping a full wave would likely mean dropping the line entirely for some - collectors can be pretty quick to move on to the next shiny thing.

Having said that, their figure selections have been so terrible over the last 3-4 waves that there are lots of people skipping full waves anyway!

I wonder if they'd do well to ramp up the release schedule. Like if they revealed a wave every 2 months instead of every 3-4+, they COULD do those themed waves and it wouldn't mean huge gaps for anyone not interested. They're already dropping multiple lines, so let TMNT take their place and just put out more figures every year.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 09:32 AM   #4769
DonnieLaForge
Mad Scientist

With the addition of this random Leo to the wave, then if up until this point you still somehow possessed some doubts that Super7 wasn't really just an overpriced novelty shop those doubts should now vanish.

What once was an actual plan -- release beefed up versions of the original action figures -- has now fully deteriorated into what literally every single manufacturer of merchandising of any sort is currently doing: who cares what it is, just put a turtle on/in/around it, or the color green on/in/around it, slap a TMNT logo on it, and GET THAT MONEY. No thanks.

By the way, NECA is also guilty of this now with their toon "adventures" schlock (space Usagi/Don, samurai Mike, etc), and I'm not having that either.
DonnieLaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:31 PM   #4770
Otter
Stone Warrior

Different strokes, my man.

The head of that NECA Space Usagi on the body of one of the upcoming Year of the Rabbit figures is going to make an almost perfect Fantagraphics #1 cover figure, and the best representation of the character (in my opinion) in my collection. So I am VERY keen.

And Ninja Nomad Leo is the first Super7 reveal I've been excited by for a while.

Last edited by Otter; 11-15-2023 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:33 PM   #4771
Macaquerie
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post

Well the reason is clearly so that people who are in interested in any specific subgroup will stay in for multiple waves and possibly pick up other stuff along the way, but at this point that's kind of counterproductive since nobody has any faith that Super 7 will manage to finish anything they start. Had they just stayed the course of doing faithful recreations of the vintage line and not veered off into so many out of the blue variants that nobody was asking for, then maybe more people would be sticking it out, but as it is with even the early waves of the most popular characters getting clearanced out, I'm truly puzzled as to who they're expecting to buy the more recent waves they've shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
No, I want all of them, personally. But, those are the most egregious examples. People claim to want characters like Genghis and Wingnut and Scumbug but they are shelf warmers with or without a significant price cut.
Maybe, but at this point this entire line is shelf warming so bad it's melting steel beams faster than jet fuel, and that's *with* substantial price cuts. The real issue is that we've kind of entered a death spiral of mistrust, where nobody really believes anymore that Super 7 can deliver figures on time and with decent QC, and so their preorders are likely cratering, which in turn makes it harder for them to make new sculpts which leads them to milk repaints and variants some more, which then further erodes interest. They can possibly get it turned around if they manage to deliver several solid waves in a row without any issues, but I find that unlikely given how saturated the market is already and the general ominous economic portents.

Last edited by Macaquerie; 11-15-2023 at 09:27 PM.
Macaquerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:21 PM   #4772
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Ninja Nomad Leo is the first Super7 reveal I've been excited by for a while.
I'm happy to see Super7 doing some original figures. Excited to see what else they might do with it.

Personally, the only Super7s that I've bought (and kept) are Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang. They fit in quite nicely with the aesthetic of NECA's movie figures. They make for a cool "what if" kind of thing. Neat to see them on the shelf with Tokka and Rahzar.

That said, you never know what original creations they might come up with that would inspire me to pick one up. A set of Ninja Nomads might be kind of fun.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:48 AM   #4773
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant

I think that Leo is a good example of the sentiment I was talking about with the 2K3 figures. I think it's a really cool looking figure and I have absolutely no interest in it.

To that end, Super7 seems more amateur-ish with every wave... just from a "running a business" perspective. Who's the audience they're targeting? It doesn't feel like it's the 30- and 40-somethings that I imagined to be their demographic at the start of the line... but I also don't feel like this line would mostly appeal to any other kind of newer fan. I'm not saying that 100% no one is interested in these - just that there doesn't seem to be a discernible audience.

Just speaking for me personally, across waves 7, 8, 10 and 11... there are only three figures I have any interest in (9 was anomalous in its much better character selection... but even six figures across five waves is pretty bad). And at the rate they're producing these things currently, it's going to be 2025 before all of those figures even come out.

I dunno. Flynn seems like a nice enough guy, but I think everyone cut him way too much slack just because he's pretty amiable. I'm not saying these people that get to interview him need to run him down or anything, but their whole operation is so questionable right now, I do think it's very fair to ask for an explanation as to why they're STILL having all these problems and making such bizarre choices eleven waves in.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 02:17 AM   #4774
Otter
Stone Warrior

Of the outstanding waves I've only pre-ordered Guerilla Gorilla and Mirage Casey. I'll probably order this Nomad Leo too. The only Playmates upgrade I'm really interested in is Usagi. But that and Raphael are the only vintage figures I've kept.

I'm much more interested in what NECA's doing: 1990 movie and Mirage. So it's Super7's departures that tend to be more interesting to me (Playmate's original line was always a bit of a disappointment... I always wanted figures from the comics and the movie).
Old 11-18-2023, 09:19 PM   #4775
mikey0
Foot Elite

The Turtle Party Wagon is out in Asia: https://twitter.com/toybroreviews/st...29911278874967
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 08:07 AM   #4776
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Geek Dad Life talked to Kyle about the latest wave and some teases around the 2k3 wave - emphasis on it being CARTOON based, not TOY based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdrqWAoqQc

2k3 talk begins around 1:18 mark for a few minutes.
Old 11-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #4777
TMNachoT
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Geek Dad Life talked to Kyle about the latest wave and some teases around the 2k3 wave - emphasis on it being CARTOON based, not TOY based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfdrqWAoqQc

2k3 talk begins around 1:18 mark for a few minutes.
Cartoon based, that's awesome!!!
TMNachoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:03 AM   #4778
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Finally got the chance to listen to the whole interview with Kyle - here are some highlights:

- Ninja Nomad Leo is mentioned as being "the first" of this kind of variant and is a mirror of Sewer Samurai Leo. Wicker hat is Big Trouble in Little China homage.

- Rapper Mikey's hat is on a swivel so you can adjust it however you want - front, backwards, sideways. His heads are compatible with the original figure and Mikey's alt head is the "modern take on the vintage head" to go with the other three turtles from waves 1-4 since his screaming/happy head didn't match the others. His knuckles now say MIKE DROP. Accessory is a boombox on one side, turntable on the other (you can see it in the 3D render).

- Battle Damaged Foot Soldier changed to silver because it looks cooler. Grasping hand is a Terminator homage and wire hand is inspired by Return of the Jedi for when Vader get his hands chopped off. Heads should be interchangeable with wave 1 (will need to be heated as it wasn't originally designed for swapping), figure will be same shade of purple.

- Rat King: Nickelodeon/Viacom was involved with Rat King's heads debacle, "there are things the licensor requires." "It's all of our faults." Rats/bugs are off on the 3D spin for some reason, the figure WILL have them like the photos. Cat bandolier is a change to make him more King-ly, and Kyle loves movie homages so it's also a Coming to America callback as the royal sash. Rat King is quite a bit taller than the regular humans (height works out to 6'8" in-scale), so crossbow was dropped due to his size. It was either the cat accessory *or* the crossbow.

"We have to move the brand forward" was repeated, so it seems like Nickelodeon wants new things and not just rehashes.

On the idea of a Super7 Technodrome - "it's been brought up, we've talked about. It's the elephant in the room because it's the size of an elephant."

Karai and Rat King just swapped places in waves 10 and 11 - she was meant to face off against Ninja Nomad Leo.
Old 11-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #4779
teemu
Stone Warrior

Quote:
"We have to move the brand forward" was repeated, so it seems like Nickelodeon wants new things and not just rehashes..
If Nick is really doing that then I doubt we'll see Traag, Pizza Face, Usagi etc. even then to see these characters get made in any kind of vintage form or even see these characters get made at all! That's why I don't see the line lasting too much longer. High prices, then huge discounts. They can't survive on making Turtles and Turtle variants. Variants can kill lines real quick
teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:33 AM   #4780
jestergoblin
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
If Nick is really doing that then I doubt we'll see Traag, Pizza Face, Usagi etc. even then to see these characters get made in any kind of vintage form or even see these characters get made at all! That's why I don't see the line lasting too much longer. High prices, then huge discounts. They can't survive on making Turtles and Turtle variants. Variants can kill lines real quick
This makes me think of all the designs from the ios Mutant Madness game - which drew heavily from both the vintage toy and toon designs but was something else entirely.

Like Mona Lisa is a whole new design: