The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2024, 05:36 PM   #4881
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
how do you both feel about the seam line running across the middle of wingnut's face? that wasn't present in the initial renders. looks pretty noticeable in the photos.
There is no seam line running across his face. The seam line (barely noticeable) runs on top of his head like alot of action figures do.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:09 PM   #4882
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
There is no seam line running across his face. The seam line (barely noticeable) runs on top of his head like alot of action figures do.
i'm talking about right under his nose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1707528199721090.jpg (86.2 KB, 40 views)
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:44 PM   #4883
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i'm talking about right under his nose
That's because (I think) the upper and lower head are two separate parts. It's noticeable for sure, but I think my expectations for Super7 are so low that I just expect that kind of stuff now. It definitely doesn't bug me as much as a lot of their other QC issues.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:51 AM   #4884
Tuxedo Moroboshi
Mad Scientist
 
Tuxedo Moroboshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Battle Nexus
Posts: 1,071
Eh... Super7 definitely does have a lot of issues, but this seam line to me doesn't bother me anywhere near as bad as the one the open mouth heads for the Turtles have on the NECA "in disguise" figures (which I think is also going to carry over to the "pizza club" releases). Though I guess maybe it bothers me more with the turtles because I'm so used to what I feel they should look like, while I don't have that feeling with Wingnut, but trying to look at it more objectively, the severity is about the same for both.

Tuxedo Moroboshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:19 AM   #4885
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
i'm talking about right under his nose
It's not a seam. It's part of the sculpt. It's his mask.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:20 AM   #4886
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
That's because (I think) the upper and lower head are two separate parts. It's noticeable for sure, but I think my expectations for Super7 are so low that I just expect that kind of stuff now. It definitely doesn't bug me as much as a lot of their other QC issues.
They are not two separate parts. It's one full sculpt. The "Seam" is just the sculpt of the mask
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:18 AM   #4887
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
This is like peak nitpick, as a collector with hundreds of figures I find it really difficult to find the seam on Wingnut's nose or that Scumbug is 0.85 off as far as color gradient. I have to look at the sources twice (including my own figures), sometimes thrice to fool myself into believing that something is indeed wrong.

Maybe it's my astigmatism. Or maybe I am loosing my mind.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:36 AM   #4888
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Eh... Super7 definitely does have a lot of issues, but this seam line to me doesn't bother me anywhere near as bad as the one the open mouth heads for the Turtles have on the NECA "in disguise" figures (which I think is also going to carry over to the "pizza club" releases). Though I guess maybe it bothers me more with the turtles because I'm so used to what I feel they should look like, while I don't have that feeling with Wingnut, but trying to look at it more objectively, the severity is about the same for both.

https://i2.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...isguise-17.jpg
yeah that seam line is a non-starter for me. bummer, because otherwise those variants of the neca turtles look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
This is like peak nitpick, as a collector with hundreds of figures I find it really difficult to find the seam on Wingnut's nose.
if it doesn't bother you, that's great. it's not subtle, though.

Last edited by italianice388; 02-16-2024 at 10:50 AM.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:40 AM   #4889
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
They are not two separate parts. It's one full sculpt. The "Seam" is just the sculpt of the mask
You're wrong. His mask goes over his nose, not under it. Look at the original Playmates figure. Look even at the original pre-production render from Super7. You can debate how big a deal it is (to me it looks bad, to you maybe not a big deal), but you can't debate that it isn't a seam line.

To be clear, the line we're talking about is right under his nostrils and cuts across his face horizontally.

Last edited by italianice388; 02-16-2024 at 10:52 AM.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:48 AM   #4890
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Again, here it is not present in a 2022 prototype.



And here it is, decidedly present in the 2024 off-the-shelf product.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 11:56 AM   #4891
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
You're wrong. His mask goes over his nose, not under it. Look at the original Playmates figure. Look even at the original pre-production render from Super7. You can debate how big a deal it is (to me it looks bad, to you maybe not a big deal), but you can't debate that it isn't a seam line.

To be clear, the line we're talking about is right under his nostrils and cuts across his face horizontally.
I see what you're talking about, but all over an sculpture indentation that's hardly noticable???? People are saying the "seam" is a two-piece setting, when it's just a one full sculpt. You can clearly see that taking a flash light to it. The sculpting "seam", it's not really a big deal. It's a bit nit-picking over nothing, as it never would of dawned on me to look if people were not raging over it. I certainly didn't notice it as the figure is mostly spot-on to the vintage figure.
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:02 PM   #4892
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dask View Post
This is like peak nitpick, as a collector with hundreds of figures I find it really difficult to find the seam on Wingnut's nose or that Scumbug is 0.85 off as far as color gradient. I have to look at the sources twice (including my own figures), sometimes thrice to fool myself into believing that something is indeed wrong.

Maybe it's my astigmatism. Or maybe I am loosing my mind.
I don't get the complaints about Scumbug other than he didn't need to be $10 more. But yeah, I can't wait for Rat King to come out. Can't wait to see more cries about his Cat "shoulder armor belt" put on wrong...
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:03 PM   #4893
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemu View Post
I see what you're talking about, but all over an sculpture indentation that's hardly noticable???? People are saying the "seam" is a two-piece setting, when it's just a one full sculpt. You can clearly see that taking a flash light to it. The sculpting "seam", it's not really a big deal. It's a bit nit-picking over nothing, as it never would of dawned on me to look if people were not raging over it. I certainly didn't notice it as the figure is mostly spot-on to the vintage figure.
Lol. It's not an "all-over sculpture indentation". It's a seam line.

I know you're trying to cover yourself after being wrong, but you of all people shouldn't be thumbing your nose at others for "nitpicking" and "raging".

Hope you have an excellent weekend and I'm glad you're excited about your new fig.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:20 PM   #4894
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
Lol. It's not an "all-over sculpture indentation". It's a seam line.

I know you're trying to cover yourself after being wrong, but you of all people shouldn't be thumbing your nose at others for "nitpicking" and "raging".

Hope you have an excellent weekend and I'm glad you're excited about your new fig.
the seam line is sculpted in...its not a separate piece. I have the figure and I took a light to it. Its part of the sculpt. Put some glasses on!

My rages are about Super7's crappy sales pitches, over-pricing, them lying to customers all the time, and character choices. I never said much anything bad about their TMNT ultimates product. It's mostly great
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:00 PM   #4895
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Moroboshi View Post
Eh... Super7 definitely does have a lot of issues, but this seam line to me doesn't bother me anywhere near as bad as the one the open mouth heads for the Turtles have on the NECA "in disguise" figures (which I think is also going to carry over to the "pizza club" releases). Though I guess maybe it bothers me more with the turtles because I'm so used to what I feel they should look like, while I don't have that feeling with Wingnut, but trying to look at it more objectively, the severity is about the same for both.

https://i2.wp.com/thefwoosh.com/wp-c...isguise-17.jpg
These specific heads don't bother me much because the line work hides the seam well enough for me. NECA's "screaming" mouths look pretty awful, though.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 02:20 PM   #4896
Y2Josh
Hench Mutant
 
Y2Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 457
I'm not gonna press my luck to try and take it apart, but my best guess is still that the nose is a separate piece that keys in at the center of the mask - kind of similar to how Rocksteady's horns are separate pieces that key into the top of his snout.

Whatever it is, it doesn't bother me much - Super7 has put out far worse - but I do understand if it bugs you.
Y2Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 03:56 PM   #4897
teemu
Stone Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I'm not gonna press my luck to try and take it apart, but my best guess is still that the nose is a separate piece that keys in at the center of the mask - kind of similar to how Rocksteady's horns are separate pieces that key into the top of his snout.

Whatever it is, it doesn't bother me much - Super7 has put out far worse - but I do understand if it bugs you.
It's not a separate piece. The "seam" is sculpted in there...It's one full head sculpt. But go ahead and try!
teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 05:23 PM   #4898
italianice388
Stone Warrior
 
italianice388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Josh View Post
I'm not gonna press my luck to try and take it apart, but my best guess is still that the nose is a separate piece that keys in at the center of the mask - kind of similar to how Rocksteady's horns are separate pieces that key into the top of his snout.

Whatever it is, it doesn't bother me much - Super7 has put out far worse - but I do understand if it bugs you.
you're right! probably cheaper to have two smaller molds and slot the pieces together than to have one larger one that makes single pieces.
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:58 PM   #4899
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
I just unboxed Wingnut and I would say he is probably, objectively, their best Ultimate figure until say, Guerilla Gorilla comes out (my personal favorites have been Ray and Zak but for nostalgia reasons, Slash too).

There's just so many posing options: with native wings +/- cape, mechanical wings +/- cape, with batman-style headsculpt, with wings flared at whatever angles etc. etc.

I personally kept it vintage sans cape (mostly because one of the hooks for the cape was coming off a lot and made my decision that much easier).

Wingnut had a $26 discount so I felt it was worth it. I'm still missing the Genghis wave.

Edit: I unboxed Zak as well. I just noticed that his hair color is some interesting hybrid between the 2 Playmates variants [the boots share the blue accents of the matte figure while the rest of his color scheme is borrowed from the updated 'toon' variant]

Last edited by Dask; 02-17-2024 at 12:58 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:37 PM   #4900
Dask
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 1,122
I have not unboxed Splinter and Donnie (and, probably wont anytime soon) but I must say that Scumbug had the least amount of thought put into him.

Those attachments (those things that are supposed to attach from the backpack to the chest and guns) do not have a firm grip. Very frustrating. Now, my Scumbug will be displayed without his signature extermination gear. Sad.


Worst figure in the wave (okay, I'm being a little bit extra, I managed to get his backpack on with those thingies attached to the chest, I'm not going to bother attaching the gun).

Last edited by Dask; 02-17-2024 at 01:44 PM.
Dask is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.