The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Why don't the TMNT use guns?
Splinter made them not 4 14.81%
They don't like them 7 25.93%
They look at guns as "cheating" 4 14.81%
They haven't found the right ones 1 3.70%
They will, at times 8 29.63%
Other reason: _________ 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2019, 02:47 AM   #21
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Evil Turtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'd love to see an "Elseworlds" TMNT story with guns..
The Evil Turtles in the Fleetway Comics are seen robbing banks with rifles

http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2017/...of-terror.html
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:21 AM   #22
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Perhaps in elseworlds stories they might.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:37 AM   #23
Icebot
Foot Elite

It’s kinda pretty much covered in the ot season 9 episode “The New Mutations”:

Raphael asks “why can’t you two geniuses whip up a couple of sci fi blasters?”
Leonardo says “We’re ninjas, we don’t use blasters.”
Raphael “Aw come on, who wrote that rule?”

Then Splinter gives advice that virtue assures victory, not weapons and strength, and that their valor will defeat Dregg, not brute force.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
There is absolutely no reason for the tmnt not to use guns (or laser weapons, if its a non violent universe), when they have the chance.

Why they don't use guns at times I would pin down to guns not being readily available to them or bad writing.
Even when using stealth, it is best to have a gun with you, just in case.
There's even a red sky episode where Raphael(I think) suggested them to use laser blasters to fight Dregg, but he never learned to aim and shoot properly.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #25
AquaParade
Banned

It’s a good question with no real suitable answer within the fiction. But the truth lies in the fact that we really like sword fights.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #26
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It’s a good question with no real suitable answer within the fiction. But the truth lies in the fact that we really like sword fights.
Yes. I don't know about you guys, but part of the appeal of the TMNT to me was that they didn't needs guns to beat the bad guys and just used their ninja weapons and fists and feet instead. Ofc it's not particularly realistic for someone without a gun to survive in a battle against dozens of bad guys shooting their laser guns at you, but it looks cool in fiction. Just like people love anime like DBZ and One Piece where characters shoot fireballs and use other special powers to beat up each other.

Shootings in movies aren't that interesting unless it's a military movie or battle.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 AM   #27
newfan
Mad Scientist

Yep, agreed with the two posts above.
If we can believe they aren't seen and filmed in today's age then we can accept they would dodge bullets successfully too.

Last edited by newfan; 07-12-2019 at 07:53 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #28
Mr Salk
Thug

They're not the Teenage Mutant Cowboy Turtles.
Mr Salk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #29
cammy85
Stone Warrior

Watch the OT episode "New Mutations" to understand why. Though they did well in "Invasion of the Krangazoids", the line from Michaelangelo: "With all this artillery, we could've finally caught those creepazoids!!" is a close second.
cammy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #30
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

If the TMNT used guns often, it would ruin the ninja myth they play on.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #31
Avenger
Thug

They always use their own weapons and I can't remember them fighting with any other weapons.

I can't recall Raphael fighting with a sword, or Donatello fighting with a nunchaku. Yes, it takes time to master these weapons but sometime they have to improvise in the fire of action...

So using guns... My point being they won't have the reflex to use something else because they are so used to their own weapon.

But, personnaly, I would like to see them in more fist fights to demonstrate their martial art abilities.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #32
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I suppose one pro of sticking to their normal weapons, even if not consciously intended, is, where kid's role play drive is concerned, just the simple fact that the Turtles' typical weapons are also a whole lot less common in the typical household. The less temptation to go secretly grab it to show off the better. (Yes, yes, the parent's responsibility. Even still, far too many are lax on it and, lets be honest, even the most well behaved of us as kids might sometimes get into things you know you're not supposed to.)

In future media aimed at adults... eh, whatever. It would just be dumb to throw guns into all of their hands just because the real world thinks guns are cool and best. At least take into consideration the individual Turtle and his own existing or likely views and preferences.

Raph does definitely seem the most likely to want to have one with him and seems the most suitable for him out of the group. BUT. If it's a hot headed, short tempered, "act now, think later" depiction of him, is that even wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salk View Post
They're not the Teenage Mutant Cowboy Turtles.

Although now I most definitely need to see this in animation, so long as it's a "Wild West" time travel thing and they're dressed to look the part
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #33
Prowler
Emperor

How many superhero like characters are known for using guns anyway? Do Batman, Spider-Man, Superman and others ever use them? batman doesn't have superpowers, so clearly a gun in some situations would come in handy for him, right?

Also, if the turtles began using guns sometimes in adult-geared comics you'd still not see them using them in their kid version cartoons and movies. Aren't guns in cartoons and children properties in general a no-no in the American media? Especially nowadays after all of those mass shootings the US had in the last few years.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #34
Mr Salk
Thug

Most importantly, even though they wear belts, holsters wouldn't sit properly against their turtle anatomy.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How many superhero like characters are known for using guns anyway?
Punisher, goes without saying. Captain America, at times. Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, of course. Almost every Image character ever, including Spawn and Savage Dragon. Rocket Raccoon. Wild Dog. Jonah Hex. Judge Dredd. Green Lantern Simon Baz. Star-Lord. Black Widow. Cable. Bishop.

And so on and so on.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #36
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Punisher, goes without saying. Captain America, at times. Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier, of course. Almost every Image character ever, including Spawn and Savage Dragon. Rocket Raccoon. Wild Dog. Jonah Hex. Judge Dredd. Green Lantern Simon Baz. Star-Lord. Black Widow. Cable. Bishop.

And so on and so on.
Guns are for heroes without decent powers.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

And so on and so on.
OKm, I stand corrected, but pretty sure The Punisher is strictly aimed at adults and doesn't have any kid friendly tie in stuff, or does it?

Don't know enough about the others or even know who some of those are. I was referring to the major DC and Marvel ones that everyone knows anyway. Are any of those notable for using guns?
Old 07-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #38
AquaParade
Banned

I suppose, when trying to adapt the turtles to a somewhat "grounded" setting, the size of their fingers could be a suitable explanation.

The turtles would pick up guns from The Foot and use them, if they could even fit their finger on the trigger. They have to work with what they've got. Done.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #39
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Hmm... Raph could technically slip the prong of a sai in there, though that might make for a bit less accurate, albeit interesting-looking, use.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #40
Mr Salk
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I suppose, when trying to adapt the turtles to a somewhat "grounded" setting, the size of their fingers could be a suitable explanation.

The turtles would pick up guns from The Foot and use them, if they could even fit their finger on the trigger. They have to work with what they've got. Done.
If we want to get technical...I doubt those Turtle paws could wield ninja-weapons either..