The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #21
frank_one
Mad Scientist

The 2007 movie is just uninteresting, generic. It has a couple of great moments but overall it is not a satisfying experience. Even as a sequel of the old movies it doesn't work, it's different, it's something else.
The cgi was good but I honestly hate the design of the humans, I remember thinking it was out of place, something taken from a Pixar movie.
If I have to choose, I would rather rewatch Turtles Forever.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #22
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
I suppose I just don't see any insurmountable gaps. What exactly did you want to know about Raph being the Nightwatcher? He's frustrated with the direction his family has taken and he vents this frustration by dressing up and going out at night to fight crime as a vigilante. He keeps this life a secret from his family who just see him as lazy for sleeping all day. This was all conveyed pretty succinctly in the movie.

You mentioned that you want to know how it got his suit. That might have an interesting story, but I certainly wouldn't consider it crucial to the plot. In my mind, it played out similar to how Daredevil got his armor in the Netflix show. In his vigilante travels, he comes across a metalworker who he either threatens or protects in exchange for the armor. Would I like to see that? Sure! But I'd like to see a lot more of this world, but I don't think any of it is crucial to the story we see in the film.

I've never read the tie-in comics. I enjoy this movie and don't view them as necessary for understanding the plot of the movie.
I did post up summaries in each of the tie in prequels further up. The prequel comics were based around production and backstory notes the director had.

In Raph's prequel, it explains how he got his armored suit.

The issue was called "Disposable Heros"

Splinter had been telling the Turtles not to get involved with human problems.

18 months prior to the movie's present time: The four turtles were going after some Triceratons. Raph sees an old man being attacked by some street thugs and suggests to his brothers they go help, only for Leo to shoot him down by reminding him they were told not to. Raph sneaks off to help the man only to find him walking away muttering about how he would have mopped the floor with them.

Raph later encounters the man again who introduces himself as David Merryweather. David takes Raph into his confidence as he reveals he used to be a vigilante hero back in the day. Raph is told to return home so he can see Leo off on his training journey, but minutes later he hears gunshots coming from David's place. He returns and finds David dying of his injuries. David then tells Raph to promise him that he would put the thugs who murdered him behind bars and that he would remove his armor and vigilante gear from the house so no one would know his secret identity.

That is how Raph got the Night Watcher Armor.

Last edited by victory_angel; 04-01-2020 at 02:27 PM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Teasing Shredder at the end makes the whole thing feel even dumber since they never got to make that movie.
That line made me cringe, unfortunately. Some of the dialogue really needed another pass.

Regarding the script, I may need to check The Ultimate Visual History to see if it elaborates more on the story development, but I'm fairly certain the director also wrote the script and that much of the story was his idea. He seemed like a fairly nice guy. IIRC, he actually did a Q&A here just prior to the release.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:39 AM   #24
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer
As far as we know, the Time Scepter or Shredder's helmet could have completely different back stories than what we saw in the live action movies.
The Time Scepter?
There is the Time Scepter in the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrown
1987 movies? What in the helicopter are you talking about?
Awhr I'm not the best with dates! I can easily make confusion...

VICTORY!"
D-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:41 AM   #25
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
I did post up summaries in each of the tie in prequels further up. The prequel comics were based around production and backstory notes the director had.

In Raph's prequel, it explains how he got his armored suit.

The issue was called "Disposable Heros"

Splinter had been telling the Turtles not to get involved with human problems.

18 months prior to the movie's present time: The four turtles were going after some Triceratons. Raph sees an old man being attacked by some street thugs and suggests to his brothers they go help, only for Leo to shoot him down by reminding him they were told not to. Raph sneaks off to help the man only to find him walking away muttering about how he would have mopped the floor with them.

Raph later encounters the man again who introduces himself as David Merryweather. David takes Raph into his confidence as he reveals he used to be a vigilante hero back in the day. Raph is told to return home so he can see Leo off on his training journey, but minutes later he hears gunshots coming from David's place. He returns and finds David dying of his injuries. David then tells Raph to promise him that he would put the thugs who murdered him behind bars and that he would remove his armor and vigilante gear from the house so no one would know his secret identity.

That is how Raph got the Night Watcher Armor.

Where did you find these comics? Is there a website where you can read them?

VICTORY!"
Old 04-02-2020, 02:18 AM   #26
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ray View Post
Where did you find these comics? Is there a website where you can read them?
There aren't any official sites where you can find them...at least not for legally free standard reading. There are places where you can find them for sale. I found a blog that summarized each of the five prequel stories and gave reviews on them.

The Bloggers consensus was the Prequel comics attempt to fill in things, but are largely forgettable. Though they did like April being essentually Laura Croft since Winters hires her as a globe-trotting treasure hunter.

I also posted summaries of the five prequels earlier on this thread.

It's a bit of a long post so I guess no one really bothered to read it.

The second prequel centers on Mikey.

It's titled “The Continuing Story of Cowabunga Carl”

Mikey and Donnie are perfecting the Party entertainment business that they were shone discussing during the flashback in Raph's prequel. Mikey works as an entertainer, while Donnie works IT and stuff from the back of the van. The two of them go to a hockey rink to that Mikey can entertain a bunch of shelter kids that Casey had gathered together. Mikey sees a thug grab a purse from an old lady, despite Donnie repeatedly warning him that they weren't to interfere with human affairs Mikey chases after the thug. He gets tackled by security and taken to a back office while he radios Don to help him get out of this jam. Donnie calls up schematics of the hockey rink and tells Mikey how he can escape, while Casey pulls the fire alarm to distract security.

After reconvening with Donnie the two see the thug who stole the lady's purse. They take off after him, as they give chase they catch sight Nightwatcher (Raph, unknown to them). Mikey idolizes the vigilante, while Donnie doesn't trust him. The thug gets away but Donnie managed to plant a tracking device on the getaway vehicle.

Mikey manages to stop the criminal and get the lady's purse back. Splinter is less then happy with the two of them and says if he hears they have been interfering with humans again he would forbid them from continuing their party entertainment business. Mikey protests by saying that with Leo away and Raph brooding who knows where he and Donnie are just trying to find their own path and do the right thing. All the while still wished to become a hero like the Nightwatcher.

Last edited by victory_angel; 04-02-2020 at 02:44 AM.
victory_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:06 AM   #27
Sumac
Banned

Probably my most favorite movie about Turtles.

Aside from Winter's storyline it is cool. And I can forget a lot of its problems just for visuals and work of the operator.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:48 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I've honestly only seen it the once in the theater. I feel bad because I've always talked bad about it but I had some minor say in things. I was a lot younger and maybe didn't use as strong of a voice as I would now. I wonder if I was brought in as the strong opposing voice and I failed as that. So that's a little bit of a component... my shame. But blegh. It's still the best sequel TMNT (1990) ever got.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #29
pferreira
Foot Elite

Saw it in the cinema with some guys and we all left feeling pretty disappointed.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #30
Sumac
Banned

The main problem of the movie, IMO, is that it tries to tell personal story about relationship between the Turtles, but shoehorns the whole Winter's story. I think if they just got rid of it and kept story purely about Turtles, maybe with some minor enemies, like Shredder-less Foot Clan or Purple Dragons, it would have been a better and less divisive movie.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #31
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've honestly only seen it the once in the theater. I feel bad because I've always talked bad about it but I had some minor say in things. I was a lot younger and maybe didn't use as strong of a voice as I would now. I wonder if I was brought in as the strong opposing voice and I failed as that. So that's a little bit of a component... my shame. But blegh. It's still the best sequel TMNT (1990) ever got.
Well that sounds interesting. I'd be curious to hear more.

This film really does have a lot going for it. The trailers were able to take a lot of the footage and show off how stylish this movie can be at times. But for some reason, the story just feels lifeless and dull to me.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:20 AM   #32
cloud
Stone Warrior

It's a feature film that's loosely based on the live action movies. It's too expensive to do a proper live action film so the movie went CGI which was pretty awesome with IMAGI.

The movie doesn't really have much reference to the cartoons. So if you are looking for connections to the cartoons it doesn't make sense.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:59 AM   #33
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
The second sequel was going to have the Triceraton's and the arrival of the technodrome from dimension x. And Donatello was the catalyst for those events taking place.
Still waiting for the Triceratons to show up on the big screen.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #34
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
We still have a ways to go on that -- we haven't even had one good take on the Turtles themselves yet.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:15 AM   #35
D-ray
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
A CGI Traximus and Zog...
my dream.

VICTORY!"
Old 04-13-2020, 04:21 PM   #36
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
We still have a ways to go on that -- we haven't even had one good take on the Turtles themselves yet.
I'unno about all that. I know you feel the first film is far too human-centric, but ever since then, as far as the Turtles' personalities go, those are the versions I see in my head and I don't think that's ever gonna be superseded by anything else.

Maybe there could have been MORE of them in the first movie but I feel like they really nailed them regardless.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #37
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
The movie doesn't really have much reference to the cartoons. So if you are looking for connections to the cartoons it doesn't make sense.
The 2007 movie seemed quite influenced by the 2003 series.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #38
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I'unno about all that. I know you feel the first film is far too human-centric, but ever since then, as far as the Turtles' personalities go, those are the versions I see in my head and I don't think that's ever gonna be superseded by anything else.

Maybe there could have been MORE of them in the first movie but I feel like they really nailed them regardless.
I love the movie so much it hurts. I just appreciate it more over time. I agree with some of Andrew's complaints, but just the fact that the visual style of the film, with the grain and the grit actually matches the look and feel of the Mirage comics is enough for me to geek the hell out when watching that thing.

I think if we were to see the director's cut, with Baron's choice of music and maybe a little more "bite" to the action (I can't remember if this was one of the rumored changes to the movie - anyone?) it'd be the perfect TMNT movie for me. Minus the colored masks - nitpick.

- Broken record.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #39
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I think if we were to see the director's cut, with Baron's choice of music and maybe a little more "bite" to the action (I can't remember if this was one of the rumored changes to the movie - anyone?)
The apartment fight was trimmed down. Some of this can be found in the original UK cut, which includes an extra bit where April pulls the rug out from a foot soldier's feet. Other bits included Leo fighting down the stairs and Donnie fighting a Foot Soldier who keeps trying to spit one liners at him ("I'm gonna turn you into turtle soup.") But these were more likely cut for pacing reasons, not violence.

There was allegedly a blood splatter trimmed from Shredder's "death," but I cannot find the source for that.

Du Prez's score is said to have softened the film a lot. Although nothing I've heard about Malcolm McLaren's score has suggested it wouldn't have done the same.

The movie does seems to retain a lot of "bite." A foot soldier is electrocuted and Shinso is beaten harshly. Shinso's death was changed not by removing anything, but by adding "coughing" effects and ADR.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM   #40
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
The apartment fight was trimmed down. Some of this can be found in the original UK cut, which includes an extra bit where April pulls the rug out from a foot soldier's feet. Other bits included Leo fighting down the stairs and Donnie fighting a Foot Soldier who keeps trying to spit one liners at him ("I'm gonna turn you into turtle soup.") But these were more likely cut for pacing reasons, not violence.

There was allegedly a blood splatter trimmed from Shredder's "death," but I cannot find the source for that.

Du Prez's score is said to have softened the film a lot. Although nothing I've heard about Malcolm McLaren's score has suggested it wouldn't have done the same.

The movie does seems to retain a lot of "bite." A foot soldier is electrocuted and Shinso is beaten harshly. Shinso's death was changed not by removing anything, but by adding "coughing" effects and ADR.
Thanks for chiming in. I'll take the blood splatter the removal of "cough" effects. But I agree that the film does have a surprising amount of "bite" given the popularity of the cartoon at the time. It feels pretty in-line with a lot of those early Mirage books in tone. Those weren't 100% serious all the time.

The fight scenes would probably still play better if they spliced in those small UK bits, which do look pretty cool, as short as they are, and by even removing maybe a few of the goofier bits, such as Leonardo tricking the Foot Soldier with his swords. Sort of cuts the tension, imo.

Tags
tmnt 2007