The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-05-2005, 08:50 PM   #101
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Wow. That's just... Wow.

That's how Mario should look in that NBA Street game.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 PM   #102
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Don't let the poor quality fool you, the Ghostbusters/Mario Bros. team-up was the biggest event of 1990!
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #103
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Oh man...
Old 01-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #104
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

OMFG DOUBLE POST FOR NEWS *ahem*

Good News about Ubisoft

If Electronic Arts attempts a takeover of Ubisoft, the French government isn't the only group that may try to help out Ubisoft (news story). Bruno Bonnell, the head of Infogrames, Europe’s largest videogame publisher and owner of Atari, has said that his company could be ready to help Ubisoft fight a takeover bid from EA. Bonnell did not give any specifics about what exactly his company could do, however.

Bonnell has expressed hopes that Ubisoft will remain independent. "It would be a pity to see great European creations end up in a relativle hegemonic US conglomerate," he said. Bonnell further said, "Electronic Arts certainly did not enter Ubisoft's capital to just stay at that level. I hope Ubisoft will find ways to defend itself so that Infogrames does not become the last bastion in the European video games industry."

It is important to note that there is no indication that talks between Ubisoft and Infogrames have taken place yet. In fact, Ubisoft maintains that there have been "no negotiations with a potential partner."
source: Reuters

So the entire world knows EA is a piece of sh*t. Now I want to buy stuff from Infogrames to support them. They have any good stuff?
Old 01-07-2005, 12:09 AM   #105
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Nope, not really. Those DBZ Budokai games look okay.... but meh.

EA needs to go away.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 AM   #106
Peanut
Second Gear

If EA goes away, then so do a crap load of gamers. I say they just stick to whatever they're doing and stop attempting to buy people.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 AM   #107
Super Moderator

Man...I'll smack you. Like Peanut said, the video game industry will see a fairly large decline if EA is gone. Where will the casual gamers turn to for sports games? No one else does them better, really. I say leave them alone.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 AM   #108
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Actually, this year at least, Sega did. ESPN Foorball (NFL2k5) got better ratings than Madden everywhere I looked. That's why EA bought the exclusive licence, because for the first time, someone bested them.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:20 AM   #109
Super Moderator

Only Sega would be able to do something like that. They really are good at what they do...even though they've had some rough times. They really should put a new system out or something. Collect funds and make it happen, you know?
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 AM   #110
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I'd sure as hell buy it. Not gonna happen though. Besides, playing Sega stuff on my Gamecube never gets old.

The first number is last week's sales, followed by their 2004 total.

1 Nintendo DS 209,522 1,495,596
2 PlayStation 2 207,108 2,898,774
3 PSP 129,957 482,252
4 GameBoy Advance SP 116,801 2,647,762
5 GameCube 29,802 726,640
6 Gameboy Advance 2,653 200,678
7 Xbox 899 37,982

Ninty still kicking ass.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:00 AM   #111
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

totals:
Nintendo: 5,070,636
Sony: 3,381,026
Microsoft: 37,982

Yes, I am that bored.

So, now that this generation's pretty much over, and we know what's instore for the rest of the 'Cubes life cycle, what do you guys think Nintendo did right?

For me, it has to be letting third parties use their mascots and game designs. That does three things, takes development pressure off of Nintendo, and puts money in to third parties pockets, it also allows them to work one on one with Nintendo so they can pick up some tricks to make games better.

Last edited by Kid Icarus; 01-07-2005 at 02:05 AM. Reason: new ideas
Old 01-07-2005, 04:20 AM   #112
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Man, it has been an interesting generation indeed. What has Nintendo done right....

1. Persuing cross development with third parties. Yeah, they're third party support ain't great, but it's way up from the N64 days, even at this point. Most especially, it let companies input new and freash ideas into their franchises, and took the burden of development off NIntendo, and gave third partys a chance to try something new. It also let NIntendo spread out more and try out some new ideas. It gave us Soul Caliber II with Link, and that was kickass, and yeah I hate the NBA street cameos, but it will be good for they're image. It's simply the price we must pay. But most of all, I've loved seeing Nintendo and Sega, the hated rivals of the 16-bit era, come together and make a game (F-Zero GX). Seeing those two names together on the title screen brings a tear to my eye.

2. Metroid Prime. It was one hell of a scare, but Nintendo suscessfully took Metroid first person without killing what makes it Metroid. It's basically been declared the best game this generation by most of the media (so far), and that's incredible (especially for EGM). Buying Retro was one of the best damn things they've ever done. It assures the "Rare incident" won't happen again anytime soon. It'll be interesting to see what Retro pulls in the future alongside Metroid.

3. Accknoledging the US market exists. Buying Retro and pimping Metroid over here shows they've learned how the market has evolved, and that they intend to support both markets equally.

4. Hiring Reggie. Yes, he's made one of the biggest differences this generation. The man kicks ass, and he knows how to market to the cool people, while keeping all the fanboys screaming in orgasmic joy. His E3 2004 show was one of the best things I've seen in Nintendo history. I want to see what advertising ideas he has for the DS, because we know it will kick ass. Since he's come along, Nintendo advertising has gone many steps uphill, and it's only begun.

5. The new Zelda. We fu*king yelled, and for once they listened. It shows that they've changed in how they treat they're fans. They've dropped the "We make the games we want to play", and adopted the "We make the games our fans tell us they want to play" theory. They hear us, and I attribute that to Reggie as well.

There's more, but I can't think of it. Seriously, this generation has been fun.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #113
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

About Nintendo lending out mascots...

It's gone far enough if you ask me.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:43 AM   #114
Peanut
Second Gear

How can you complain about a Nintendo DDR game? That's awesome! If it comes out here I'm so buying it.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:37 AM   #115
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

I don't like games like DDR myself, and I don't like to see Mario star in one. I also think with this and the basketball thing, things are getting a little crazy.

Just my personal opinion though.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #116
Peanut
Second Gear

The NBA Street I'll agree is pretty stupid, but why DDR? Just because you don't like the game?
Old 01-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #117
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Well, at least we have a DDR game now. I can tell all my friends who wanna get a PS2 just so they can play DDR to get this (it'll save 'em fifty bucks after all).

Ya know, between DDR and Donkey Konga, I think we're set with the Bemani games .

Last edited by Kid Icarus; 01-07-2005 at 11:53 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #118
Peanut
Second Gear

I hope to god it comes out here, and also comes with the mat. Many a party has gone from terrible to awesome with the help of DDR.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #119
Mecha Cow
Gorgeous and modest too

Quote:
The NBA Street I'll agree is pretty stupid, but why DDR? Just because you don't like the game?
Partly, yeah. But also because both things happened so fast after another. It's like Nintendo became very desparate to be 'cool' overnight. Now I know that's not the case, but that's the feeling this gives me.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #120
Peanut
Second Gear

Very true. It may be they're just trying to expand their audience base, but it does feel like 2 games right in a row is a bit much.