The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #41
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Back in Texas
Posts: 4,635
It's almost like people getting themselves so tangled up in revenge/restoring their lost honor that it becomes their undoing is a theme in this series
__________________
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #42
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
That's the point, though. You don't just talk the guy into giving up. You don't just have him gradually become friendlier and friendlier with the humans (you could, but it wouldn't really fit this story). Him going further and further down this hole that he's dug for himself and going mad with vengeance, only to eventually reach his most desperate point and realize how far he's sunk and managing to get himself out of there.
Except he doesn't seem the type to have some sort of epiphany. He was already pretty far gone, only keeping it together for the sake of his family, and it still didn't stop him from doing shady deals behind their back. Now that Slash gave him tacit approval to wage his war before dying and providing him with the perfect martyr figure... I shudder to even think what he'll do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
It's almost like people getting themselves so tangled up in revenge/restoring their lost honor that it becomes their undoing is a theme in this series
Like Koya. I really like her development in the Leo macro. They say the best way to truly know someone is to fight them, and those two are on their second rematch already... It's also quite possible that there's something more developing between them, which would be awesome on a lot of levels. Leo and Koya have the sort of relationship Raph and Alopex should've had but discarded early on for more cutesy, sappy stuff.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #43
Cloudrunner
Mouser
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Leo and Koya have the sort of relationship Raph and Alopex should've had but discarded early on for more cutesy, sappy stuff.
I agree, they could've learned to understand each other through a rivalry. It would have been more believable than what we got. I don't have a problem with Raph and Alopex's relationship as it stands now and I think the two of them go well together in what few scenes we get. But the initial turn was rather awkward. Within that Northampton arc is another problem I have with her character in that she seems to very quickly give up any motivation as soon as the moment has passed.

She wanted revenge on Shredder, but as soon as she failed once and joined the turtles, that never comes up again. Even when she's in the Foot headquarters a few feet from him, not even so much as a glance. Then later after she breaks free of Kitsune, gaining some sort of spiritual power in the process, you'd think she'd have some sort of vendetta against the pantheon. But nope, not a word from her, despite multiple chances. In fact she hangs back for no reason while the turtles go and crash Toad Baron's party.

She is in desperate need of some kind of role in the story. Whether it's getting involved with the Mutanimals against Null or helping Raph through his dark path, give me something! Playing second fiddle sidekick to a character who has even less relevance to the story (Nobody) has done her absolutely no favors. And with her being my second favorite side character (next to Hob) in the series, it's frustrating seeing her potential wasted.
Cloudrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #44
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudrunner View Post
She is in desperate need of some kind of role in the story. Whether it's getting involved with the Mutanimals against Null or helping Raph through his dark path, give me something! Playing second fiddle sidekick to a character who has even less relevance to the story (Nobody) has done her absolutely no favors. And with her being my second favorite side character (next to Hob) in the series, it's frustrating seeing her potential wasted.
You totally get it! It's like she was only put there as a stand-in for Ninjara, with no other purpose or goals beyond that. And Alopex could be so much more...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #45
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist
 
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
You totally get it! It's like she was only put there as a stand-in for Ninjara, with no other purpose or goals beyond that. And Alopex could be so much more...
Nah, she was fine until Sophie turned her into a fluffball.

I love most of Sophie's stuff, but "Northampton" was when Alopex became a cute widdle fluffball. She was still vicious and bloodthirsty during "City Fall", her micro-issue, and "Secret History."

Her transition to ally could have worked better if she wasn't drawn so cutesy-tootsy. Ugh.
__________________
ALL THEIR DAYS ARE NUMBERED
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #46
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Nah, she was fine until Sophie turned her into a fluffball.

I love most of Sophie's stuff, but "Northampton" was when Alopex became a cute widdle fluffball. She was still vicious and bloodthirsty during "City Fall", her micro-issue, and "Secret History."

Her transition to ally could have worked better if she wasn't drawn so cutesy-tootsy. Ugh.
I hesitate to blame it on Sophie because that's right around the time when Alopex's primary goal (to turn against Shredder at a key moment as revenge for her family's deaths) was fulfilled. It's hardly a single artist's fault that she became mostly aimless afterwards, and only showed up when an extra fighter was required to flesh out the action. Look at Mikey: silly and cutesy most of the time, but he's a character with a clear-cut purpose. Alopex just needs a new goal and a new motivation post-Shredder, which she hasn't had so far.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.