The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #41
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

It's weird to say that anything done by former Mirage staffers can be considered "fan fiction," but sometimes life is "stranger than fan fiction." (Sorry, couldn't help myself) But I do wonder, are there any examples of a fan work ever being officially picked up by a publisher? If not, it would certainly set an interesting precedent. I'm definitely curious about the history of this kind scenario since I'm sure this isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last, attempt by a fan to get his work looked at. I know of examples where a fan's work has landed them a job, but that's not the same as the actual fan work itself being published in an official capacity.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #42
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Some notes on the team: There's some work from Arseniy/DemonAlukard (who has very generously given a lot of his own money to help keep the momentum of pages coming from Jim... we're pretty much partners in this, at this point) in it, Angie Sternitzke is doing some painting and CGI work for her two pages, Mark Feltham is doing a page (toned by Courtland Brugger/sabacooza), and there's a pretty important page from Tokka in it near the end. And of course the Dan Berger 3 page prologue. Cover (which is not a wraparound) is pencilled by Rick McCollum and inked by Bill Anderson ("Twilight of the Ring," "Juliet's Revenge").

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-17-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #43
Cowabunga Carl
Mad Scientist

Wow, that's quite a team you got going there Andrew. Wish you all kinds of luck on this. Can't wait to see it finished. Anything us fellow Dormers can do to help?
Cowabunga Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM   #44
John Pannozzi
Stone Warrior

A thought occurs. In TMNT Vol. 3 #25, Lucindra appeared. But from what I understand, Rick Arthur apparently never signed away the rights to his TMNT stories, so if this gets officially published, she probably can't appear unless Rick Arthur is tracked down and gives his consent (same with the characters from Rick Veitch's TMNT stories). Savanti Juliet is alright since Bill McCollum and Tom Anderson DID sign away the rights to their TMNT work (at least that what's Bill told me).
Originally Posted by Bergerjacques
It was definitely not a kid's book.
That was the thing that always mystified me about the turn the franchise took when Eastman and Laird licensed the cartoon and the parallel comic book published by the same outfit that gave us Archie. The turtles' original origin story? The whole thing hinges on a for-Christ's-sake rape-murder!!!!
from here.
John Pannozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
A thought occurs. In TMNT Vol. 3 #25, Lucindra appeared. But from what I understand, Rick Arthur apparently never signed away the rights to his TMNT stories, so if this gets officially published, she probably can't appear unless Rick Arthur is tracked down and gives his consent (same with the characters from Rick Veitch's TMNT stories).
Lucindra didn't appear in #25, she's only mentioned. If it saw official publication (and it won't) the solution would be to just remove the mention or en-vague-en the bit of dialogue. Or just to talk to Rick Arthur about it... I've talked to him a bit already.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #46
Adam
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
the solution would be to just remove the mention or en-vague-en the bit of dialogue.
You wouldn't even have to do that. Nobody needs to obtain permission to simply MENTION characters.

You could have a line of dialogue saying "This guy is like Batman and Spider-Man combined!" -- and as long as those characters aren't visually depicted, you'd be fine.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #47
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pannozzi View Post
A thought occurs. In TMNT Vol. 3 #25, Lucindra appeared. But from what I understand, Rick Arthur apparently never signed away the rights to his TMNT stories, so if this gets officially published, she probably can't appear unless Rick Arthur is tracked down and gives his consent (same with the characters from Rick Veitch's TMNT stories). Savanti Juliet is alright since Bill McCollum and Tom Anderson DID sign away the rights to their TMNT work (at least that what's Bill told me).
Rick Arthur maintains all character rights for Lucindra. I spoke to him about it once and he said he fought tooth and nail to keep the rights to her. all else though was work for hire, same as everyone else. Rick Veitch on the other hand does not have the rights to any of his characters from TMNT. thats why he's so pissed with E&L. he didnt beleive he signed over any of his stories, but i guess he did, or did after the fact because they belong to the turtleverse now. with Nick owning the turtleverse all those artists get nothing. where they use to (according to Kevin's TCJ interview) get some sort of royalties anytime books were reprinted under mirage.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #48
Jephael
That whack job behind you

I'm starting to see why we've never seen any reprints of Mirage Volume 1 past issue 29!

www.jephael.com

Last edited by Jephael; 03-19-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #49
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
I'm starting to see why we've never seen any reprints of Mirage Volume 1 past issue 29!
You mean aside from sales beyond about that point not warranting it?

I think #50 and/or #51 saw a second print, though. Maybe Vol. 2, #1, if I recall.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #50
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticplayhouse View Post
Rick Arthur maintains all character rights for Lucindra. I spoke to him about it once and he said he fought tooth and nail to keep the rights to her. all else though was work for hire, same as everyone else. Rick Veitch on the other hand does not have the rights to any of his characters from TMNT. thats why he's so pissed with E&L. he didnt beleive he signed over any of his stories, but i guess he did, or did after the fact because they belong to the turtleverse now. with Nick owning the turtleverse all those artists get nothing. where they use to (according to Kevin's TCJ interview) get some sort of royalties anytime books were reprinted under mirage.
Did Rick Arthur ever use the Lucindra character in any non-TMNT comics? Because otherwise she only ever appeared in what...2 issues? One of the Turtle Soup specials and #44 of Mirage were her only appearances.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did Rick Arthur ever use the Lucindra character in any non-TMNT comics? Because otherwise she only ever appeared in what...2 issues? One of the Turtle Soup specials and #44 of Mirage were her only appearances.
I'm pretty sure no, but I'm currently talking to him more about the character. How cool would it be if she were to spin off into new, unique tales? Pretty cool, I'd say.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

That's what I was wondering because while its understandable that a lot of these authors want to completely own the characters they create, when it gets in the way of simply reprints it kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Thank goodness Erik Larson already said he's fine with IDW reprinting the Image series as long as Savage Dragon isn't advertised on the covers.

And for that matter, I wonder how cool it would be to see Eastman draw a cover based on the Image Turtles.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
And for that matter, I wonder how cool it would be to see Eastman draw a cover based on the Image Turtles.
That's pretty much what you got on the #25 cover.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

Due to recent events, perhaps there should be a small panel where a group of Turtles beam down from an alien spaceship.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #55
Jephael
That whack job behind you

Quote:
Due to recent events, perhaps there should be a small panel where a group of Turtles beam down from an alien spaceship.

www.jephael.com
Jephael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #56
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Interesting note about Rick Arthur... he says that IDW wouldn't need to ask his permission to reprint his issue (#44) at all -- they just can't do anything new with her without his permission.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #57
Plasticplayhouse
the gray ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Interesting note about Rick Arthur... he says that IDW wouldn't need to ask his permission to reprint his issue (#44) at all -- they just can't do anything new with her without his permission.
that is interesting. would he still receive royalties though? i'm guessing he probably would.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #58
VaughnMichael
I'm Baaaaaaccck!

This looks really good Andrew!
VaughnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #59
Aska_Badoura
Hench Mutant

Tripped over this thread here while looking for references.

I think I've been eating, sleeping and breathing my two pages lately (this project is all I've been talking about, LOL), but it's so cool to have a part in this. So exciting!

The Venus Project

LONG in need of an update, but still out there, if you want a look.
'Geek' pic by Allie

Last edited by Aska_Badoura; 03-25-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Aska_Badoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #60
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jephael View Post
Vol. I #32 had a 2nd printing...all others to the end of the run (#62) had only 1st printings. Vol. II (all 13 issues) had only 1st printings unless you count the error #13 with switched front and back covers.

rich is offline   Reply With Quote